• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

self starters

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
BrianF

Re: self starters

Post by BrianF »

I retrofitted and modifed an EME type starter to a hybrid DA100 I rebuilt. It worked perfectly for many starts, I eventually put a larger motor in the model, the elec start 100 was shelved waiting for a suitable model. A mate needed a motor for a secondhand Yak he bought so I "loaned" it to him. It was fine for a few dozen starts, then the sprag bearing failed in flight, which stopped the engine and tried to twist off the installation as it tried to back drive the starter.

It may have been that his unbaffled engine installation caused it to get too hot, it may have been the bearing quality. I rebuilt it and fitted a nice german made sprag bearing. It was a PITA to repair and rebuild. I haven't put it in another model yet though. I'm not put off the idea, but I think heat is something to consider with sprag style starters.

I do like what you doing with the bendix style idea.
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Brian, I've not yet got round to implementing the bendix, it's a really easy job though, MVVS, King engine and others have done the same thing.

I prefer the disconnect the bendix offers, heard too many horror stories about the one way rollers jamming...

I'll report back, although Ian T-W has already had great success.

Ell.
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Hi all,

finally got my starter mounted and running, I'm very pleased with the result. Currently (sic) running two 4s packs in parallel for the starter.

Ell.

IanT-White

Post by IanT-White »

Elliot ,pleased your starter works so well , the units I would recommend are the Italian Fiem units, these have a built in gearbox and bendix drive
I use a 250 watt unit for my King 190cc twin petrol on my two thirds scale Scheibe SF33 motor glider using a 3s 3200 ma Lipo battery
I have a couple more 400 watt units , one on my JPX 425 cc in my two thirds scale WW1 Hanriot biplane and the other in a three quarter scale 1911
Deperdussin monoplane ,342cc Weslake , these engines have the advantage of decompressors which allow the engine to initially to start on one cylinder and the open decompressor automatically closes , both use 60C 4s , 4500 Lipo,s ,the difficulty hand starting these two engines is the reduction drives with their un even ratio , for each turn of the prop, the compression point moves plus one swing of the prop turns over the engine almost twice.
Not a fan of the one way /torrington bearing , difficult to keep them lubricated .
Best regards Ian Turney-White
IanT-White

Post by IanT-White »

Elliot , I know its a glider site ! , but talking about self starters couldn't resist enclosing photo's of my self starter equipped Hanriot
Documentsf33.docx
(24.65 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Documentsf33.docx
(24.65 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Regards Ian Turney-White
Attachments
test flight john ricketts 005.jpg
IanT-White

Post by IanT-White »

Oops , something went wrong !
033.JPG
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Thanks Ian, that's all really useful data!

I'm using an italian bendix starter (very possibly fiem) off a scooter (which makes me smile (an old hobby)).

I ditched one battery so she starts really well off a 4s 4ah - I will experiment with 3s too. It's surprising just what a difference the prop makes, she seemed to struggle on the bench turning over, but clearly the momentum of the prop really helps with it's flywheel effect.

Just need to build a model for it now!

All the best, Ell.