• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Slopes around oxfordshire

Please post here anywhare that may be of interest for anybody visiting an area where there is somewhere to fly. Where possible please include directions or map details for google.
Robcrad

Slopes around oxfordshire

Post by Robcrad »

I am returning to flying after a rather long layoff, looking to start slope soaring again, would like some help learning to fly again is there any slope soaring clubs around oxfordshire or bucks which could provide some assistance with this?
Rob
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Re: Slopes around oxfordshire

Post by mjcp »

I'm in Windsor and have flown plenty of sites in the M4/M40 corridors and further afield:

Here's a starting point:
Google Maps Slopehunter

Ivinghoe (Dunstable) - West is best, can be a little crowded. bit of a walk
Whittenham clumps (Didcot) - bit small for my kit
Coombe Hill (Princes Risborough) - flat walk, can be a bit lumpy due to trees on the hill. (not been for a couple of years)
Uffington White Horse - Not flown personally, but have walked it and chatted to a few flyers on the hill - seems nice.
Beacon Hill (Newbury / A34) - BIG walk, but good slope once on the top
White hill / Watership Down (Kingsclere) - Nice, flat walk
Roundway (Devizes) - nice, bit of a walk, bumpy lane, not great for "low" cars!
Whitesheet (Mere/A303) - Nice, flat walk, friendly bunch often found on these forums!
Turville Hill (between Marlow / Benson) - A few spaces top of the hill, not a big hill, but can work with the right wind / model

Beyond that, a full on day trip is needed.... Rhossili and Bwlch can be done in a day from the Thames valley. South coast: Brighton to Newhaven etc is worth a day trip for the right wind (N. I guess most of the S options would work too). Colley Hill (Reigate / South of M25) is good in a straight S wind. Nice flat walk and decent parking too!

Cheers,
M
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Rob,
Might be worth looking at the BMFA website as they have a club finder.
I’ve just searched there for Slope Soaring clubs within 30 miles of Windsor & found 8 listed.
Robcrad

Post by Robcrad »

Thank you for info, good place to start

rob