• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/6 th Tern makeover**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
john slater

1/6 th Tern makeover**

Post by john slater »

Hi All,
After building my original 1/4 scale Tern in 1993, I was chatting to John Watkins about his new venture into 1/6th scale and decided after a couple of years with the larger model that 1/6th scale would be a nice easy and managable size. So I then built the smaller model but to the post war version, ie lowered rear decking and canopy, it was painted white with a little colouring to the nose etc.and looked quite pretty, not sure what colour because the only photos I have from ( negatives ) Roger Refell are black and white.
I must admit that after following the build threads of Chris Williams and his small scale models I decided to give the small Tern a makeover, nice modern term, and of course with having lots of time being `locked up' it was a good opportunity.
I have not had the chance to fly the revamped model yet but here are a couple of photos.
I never produced a plan for this version but just reduced my original plan in size, I had lots of flying time with this model and enjoyed the advantage of the size , well worth the project.
Some detail still to be added
Some detail still to be added
IMG_2523.JPG
Kind regards
john
chris williams

Re: 1/6 th Tern makeover

Post by chris williams »

I Like it, John...pretty, and with a decent planform, it should be a winner ;)
john slater

Post by john slater »

IMG_20201022_0001.jpg
Thanks Chris, it flys as good as its big brother, the modified post war Tern looked like a model, not sure what happened to it, but this version certainly was easy to copy. I have posted here one of the only photos I have of the original.
John
IMG_20201022_0001.jpg
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Very nice John.

What does it weigh?
john slater

Post by john slater »

Robbie,
It weighs just under 4Ib, in balanced trim, ready for flying, but of course it still has to be proved on the slope, span is 100 inch. and I used a SD7062 wing section with a little washout.
I painted the nose etc. red simply because I thought it looked more attractive, it could of course been any colour.
John
SedB

Post by SedB »

It love it! First time I see this glider and must say the weird canopy gives it a very attractive look!
On your pictures it looks bigger than 100 inch to me!

Daniel
john slater

Re: 1/6 th Tern makeover**

Post by john slater »

Hi Seb.
It certainly is 1/6th scale and 100 inch span, the full size was 50ft. span which comes out nicely at (8FT. 4inch) 100inch.
This was a version made up of parts remaining from the 2 gliders after WW2.
John