• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Tow release mechanism

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Richard Onslow

Tow release mechanism

Post by Richard Onslow »

Is anyone using or have experience of installing an aerotow release mechanism like this?

It’s big, with barrel diameter of 16mm and length 50mm, beautifully engineered with a smooth spring-loaded pull release lever, and rather expensive – it cost me 45 Euros, supplied with my Airworld ASW 20!

Any advice on installing this beast would be welcome as, given the cost, I’d like to use it. But there’s no way I’m cutting a 16mm hole in the nose for it. I’m thinking a horizontal slot just beneath the nose to feed the tow loop into it? That would be neat, but how would you secure the unit inside the nose?

Thanks,

Richard
Attachments
20201102_141435.jpg
20201102_141527.jpg
BrianF

Re: Tow release mechanism

Post by BrianF »

Hi, I have a release that size, not from Airworld, yet to fit. I'd do something like this, this position is roughly where the fwd release point is on the fullsize.
Attachments
Schleppkupplung_im_eingebauten_Zustand.JPG
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Rich, this is an enlarged version of the venerable multiplex release, if you don't put this in the nose, it's a nightmare to get the loop under the bar then over it for the pin to engage - you ideally need fine wire trace loops rather than the common strimmer line.

Ell.
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

I agree if it is per the Multiplex style below with the internal curve. They are a pain with heavier monofilament loops.
IF, it is like my large release its a little different internally per images and is easier to use.
I have a similar self made release installed in a model and the curved face is an angled ramp in it.
49383b_MULTIPLEX-SCHLEPPKUPPLUNG_570x570.jpg
Release.jpg
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net
Richard Onslow

Post by Richard Onslow »

Thanks guys. This unit has a shaped feed in below 'the bar' which guides the tow loop into position for the locking pin to close. Having tried it with various loops it actually works better with the stiffer strim-wire nylon than with thin metal wire. It is a clever design that solves the problem Elliot refers to with the Multiplex version which I can fully understand.

I would be installing it in the nose, so I guess the issues are how best to secure it, and how to ensure the opening I cut in the nose aligns with the semi-circular entry port. Due to the diameter of the unit, there will inevitably be a void between the front of the (circular) unit and the inside of the (slightly oval) nose which must be kept free of obstruction to allow the loop insertion. So it's not as straightforward as just burying it with epoxy, as this would leak into the void.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Richard, just a thought:
Do you have the ability to first epoxy a smaller diameter tube onto/into the front of the unit, long enough to extend out through the nose?
Then use the smaller tube pushed through a similar size hole in the nose to centralise the release when you epoxy in position.
Cut off the protruding tube & job done?
Richard Onslow

Post by Richard Onslow »

Thanks Peter, that's a really neat idea as it solves both the 'how to install' and 'how to align' questions in one. And the smaller diameter tube will also provide a rim at the nose to stop the tow-loop chafing on the fibreglass.
Many thanks for your input.
Cheers, Richard
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Rich, I always gently counter sink my releases too, to make the exit more forgiving.

The type you have are great for retro fitting too as you only need good access from the front to drill.

Ell.
Richard Onslow

Post by Richard Onslow »

Following Peter Balcombe's suggestion, here is the outcome. Thank you for your help Peter.
Attachments
20201115_104909(0).jpg
20201115_105210.jpg
20201120_165204.jpg