• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/5 scale E-Duster**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
robert-woolley

1/5 scale E-Duster**

Post by robert-woolley »

Former F2 is showing 3 deg of down thrust
Former F2 is showing 3 deg of down thrust
For my 2nd build and first glider build, I have chosen the C.W BJ-1 Duster. The wingspan seems about right for my garage facilities - and car transporting space and importantly for me, it has a motor for that extra launch flexibility and get out of that valley when everything is sinking.
Having checked the PDF templates posted on this forum by Chris, against the plan, I have decided to make use of my Dremel scroll saw for the formers and ribs. The build review that came with the plan and build notes on this forum has provided a logical sequence to the build.
The first thing that I noted was how much more timber, particularly ply goes into a glider than I used in my first scale powered model. The triangular tail section also caused me a bit of thinking as the formers appeared to be a different height to the fuselage side view until I realised the view of the balsa sides are showing an inclined plain and not the true height.
Still, I have made a start; The basic fuselage structure is coming together and I am using a tip from Bovey Joe - to tack using cyno then run some super Phatic along the joints. I have jigged the fuselage as the various tapers and bends were trying to distort the rear. It was at this point I noticed that my construction of former F2 has resulted in 3 deg of motor down thrust whereas the plan is showing zero. That will be easy to correct when I buy a motor and mount. Attached is a pic of the build so far.
robert-woolley

Re: 1/5 scale E-Duster

Post by robert-woolley »

fus looks straight until I release the clamps
fus looks straight until I release the clamps
Fin & rudder ready for sanding. the posts will be given a shallow chamfer where they mate.
Fin & rudder ready for sanding. the posts will be given a shallow chamfer where they mate.
Some progress made and trying not to make the same mistakes as my first build. As C.W & Barry say, the rear top of the fuselage will deflect down and will reduce the decalage if not corrected. In my case the rear is also trying to twist so I have been clamping it before adding the bottom sheeting. I suspect that I may need to dampen the sides towards the rear and apply some opposite twist before fitting the fin and top sheeting. The pics show my Bosche cross haired laser that I find invaluable to check various parts of a build alignment; and the fin /rudder is assembled ready for sanding. I was not sure what the bottom sheeting should be but I have used 2mm ply for the centre section and 2,5 mm balsa for the adjacent sheets. I thought that might help with the uneven ground at our slope.
robert-woolley

Re: 1/5 scale E-Duster**

Post by robert-woolley »

Weighted to over correct twist
Weighted to over correct twist
Phew. that worked well
Phew. that worked well
Time to correct the fus rear twist before I attach the fin / rudder. As you can see from the photos, I clamped the front and mid section straight and level. Then attached a few clamps to the rear and added a large socket and adjusted the leverage to provide a slight over correction. A light spray of water onto the balsa sides then left it over night to dry. To my relief it is now corrected so I will leave the fus clamped until the top sheeting is added as that should stop the tail from twisting again. But next I will install two HS82-MG servos and control cables while I have access.
robert-woolley

Re: 1/5 scale E-Duster is flying at last

Post by robert-woolley »

After a very long intermittent build with very little reported here, my e-Duster is at last flying. With the help of our club instructor / 'test pilot' Martin, the Duster has been trimmed. And with a couple of mixes (Throttle/down Elevator for the climb & Crow with full brakes) the glider is now enjoyable to fly and importantly for an intermediate pilot, controllable during landing. There are few photos as yet but here is one from our club flying site at Little Haldon near Teignmouth, Devon.
20220519_094858.jpg