• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

hinge tape

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
ChrisJesshope

hinge tape

Post by ChrisJesshope »

For those mourning the loss of sellotape crystal clear for hinging ailerons, I have recently bought some Gorilla crystal clear tape from Aldi. Claims it can support 6KG, how much tape to support that is not clear but it is, as the name says, transparent and weatherproof. I plan to try it out soon and will give feedback. I think it was £2.99 a roll.

Cheers,

Chris
B Sharp

Re: hinge tape

Post by B Sharp »

You could try a product called Sylglas greenhouse repair tape. It is totally clear, very strong, utterly waterproof, adheres well to glass and film finishes and is remarkably thin. I and a number of others in the F3j and F3f community started using it way back in the late 80s/early 90s and it became my go-to product for hinging. The only problem is that it comes on a 50mm wide roll. I usually lay a length on a large piece of glass and use a scalpel to cut it down the middle.
Its available from http://www.sylglas.com/products/cleartape.htm
Brian. :)
ChrisJesshope

Post by ChrisJesshope »

On closer inspection, it seems that the tape is thick double sided mounting tape. I was missed by the name. He ho, it'll come in useful for something. Thanks for the link Brian. I'll try that.

Chris
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Thanks very much for the suggestion of "Sylglas greenhouse repair tape". I ordered it, they shipped very quickly and I've now used it to hinge my PIK-20's ailerons and flaps. straightforward to use and sticks very well. Looking forward to the non yellowing of it over the next few years!

As for its dimensions, I rolled out a length suitable for the hinge and lightly stuck down to baking paper (the shiny side). then sliced down the length with a Stanley knife.

The resulting pair of offcuts were then very easy to handle due to their "backing paper" allowing for nice and straight alignment along the hinge as the backing was removed (peels away ve4ry easily) in short sections. The resulting adhesion shows no contamination from the baking parchment.

M
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Spot-on Marc. Im pleased you have found the Sylglas tape to be user friendly. I usualy place it on a large sheet of glass before slicing down the middle with a scalple but your method sounds good and I will give it a go on my next model.
By the way, I was recently giving my fleet of models thier annual MOT check ready for the coming season (I hope) and brought out the wings of a slope model I built in 2002. On inspection the control surfaces are still firmly attached and the Sylglas tape is showing no signs of colouring, degrading or letting go - thats 19 years - not bad at all!
Brian :D
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Hello Brian

I'm currently building a 108" glider and after many 1/4 scale and larger models I'm having difficulty in hinging the ailerons because everything is so small.

I am interested in your recent post re:tape I think that would be an ideal solution. I've used crystal tape before where you start with tape between the vertical surfaces and then apply to the top surface to complete the hinge. If that makes sense! Do you use the same process with your tape?

Best regards

Ian
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Hi Ian.
I started using ‘Sylglas’ tape decades ago when I was still designing/building my own competitive thermal/slope race models. I developed a technique for hinging surfaces which worked for me (not to say it is correct or even the best way).
I would start by laying a length of tape on a clean sheet of glass. The tape was marked with a biro and cut lengthwise to form two 25mm/1” lengths. I then cut a number of small sylgas tabs which I attached to the control surface to hold it temporarily to the wing. I would allow the control surface to droop to it’s furthest depressed point against the wing (checking for sufficient control movement). I would then attach a full length of tape to the top surface of the wing overlapping the hinge line by half the width of the tape (12mm/0.5”) before smoothing the tape into full contact with the wing. The control surface can then be raised and brought into contact with the tape before being smoothed in place.
At this point I have to mention that many/most of my models did not require the return on the underside to be taped at all as the surfaces showed no sign of letting go or shifting. I also added hinge line covers with lengths of drawing film and double sided tape to seal the hinge gap.
However I did tape the vertical faces on the underside on some models where they were likely to encounter regular VNE dives as a “just-in-case”. I would cover the top hinge as per above before fully reflexing the surface back against the top of the wing.I would use masking tape to hold the surface in place before adding a second length of tape along the length of the hinge and trimming any excess.
Latterly when I was competing with fully moulded glass machines a “living hinge” would start to split and I would cut the control surface free from the wing and re-attach it using a length of tape on the tope surface only. I never had one of these repairs break loose despite any number of high tension, high speed winch launches.
No method is perfect and there is always something to learn. I noticed that Marc mentioned using baking paper (the shiny side) to use a peelable backing for easier handling of the tape. I will be using that on my current build.
I hope this helps.
Brian. :)
Ian Davis

Post by Ian Davis »

Hi Brian

Got my tape today. Tenacious stuff, makes a fantastic hinge without the vertical part. Marc's idea with the baking paper also works amazingly. A whole new method has emerged.

Ian ;)