• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

2 blades or 3 blades

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
Andy Wallace

2 blades or 3 blades

Post by Andy Wallace »

What's best for towing a 2 bladed prop or 3 bladed prop
Thanks
Barry_Cole

Re: 2 blades or 3 blades

Post by Barry_Cole »

It makes no difference.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Three-blade may be a bit quieter!
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

I think it does make a difference as the most important thing in prop selection for a tug is to move the largest area of air that the motor can. A 2 blade prop (for and given engine) will have a larger diameter than a 3 blade prop. This will grip more air and provide better traction. Pitch is also important as too little and the flying speed will be too low, but too much and the prop will slip and become inefficient. Initial acceleration will also be reduced as the prop cavitates.
Most tugs are well overpowered for the job they do so all the above is of little importance but if the tug is not overpowered for the glider it is towing it does make a difference.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
sruelle

Post by sruelle »

Here is my take on it,

I am using both depending on what I want, I have a DA100 on a bidule and it is on cans to keep it quiet.

If I tow in an area that is noise sensitive I will use a 3 blade prop 24x10, does a great job overall. not problem with a 6m sailplane, just need to pay attention at the climb with a 40% model

If I am in an environment where noise is not a problem I use a Mejzlik 26x10 EVO, much more power and RPM, more noise of course, especially when you are not under load (not towing) has rpm is much higher and that the tips are going so fast that it generate a very loud noise that is killing a bit the purpose of the cans.

Stéphane