• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

John Elliots Skylark.

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
VinceC
Site Admin

Re: John Elliots Skylark.

Post by VinceC »

These are off my computer, similar to Cliffs colour
457486_2830137912376_977159234_o.jpg
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Ant,

'91' has been recovered and resprayed since John did his model. The yellow now is much paler as shown in Cliff's and Vince's photos.

Also, there is no unpainted fabric now.

I've got the original article in RCM&E somewhere, I'll dig it out and see if there's any reference to the colour.
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Ant,

In John's original article he describes the colour of his prototype as 'Buttercup Yellow' but no specific BS number I'm afraid.

Just one thing, the model is described as a 3B but 91 (Ser. no. 1229, BGA 920) is a 3F - whatever colour paint is on it.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Andrew, the later Skylark 3 was larger than the Skylark 2, having a wingspan of just over 18m instead of just under 15m. The fuselage length was also increased from just over 7.3m to just over 7.6m. The tailplane also has a larger chord, but same span (depending on model).
stephen spittle

Post by stephen spittle »

Did you want me to get in touch with John to find out I call them every so often if it helps.
I can also talk to the new owner of the glider if John cant help because the paper work went with the glider
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Andrew, I built a Skylark from Johns plans a few yeas ago but modified it to a Skylark 2B as owned by a friend. (photo attached) I mounted mine with three retaining nuts in the fuselage centre section (two at the front and one centre/rear) and had the bolts coming up through plates from inside the fuselage as there was plenty of room for my hand. I have to admit it was a bit fiddly to rig but there were no holes on the wing centre section.
On the plans there is a bit of a mis-match with the wing ribs where the centre section moves from straight to tapered so watch out for this. Also some of the rear fuselage formers, as drawn on the plan, don't fit when it comes to adding the sheeting - a little work is required to pack them out in certain places.
Hope this is of help.
Brian. :)
Attachments
2009_06_Middle Wallop_01a.jpg
2009_06_Middle Wallop_03b.jpg
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Andrew,
Not got my Skylark plan to hand for a couple of weeks but wing plans normally identify where washout starts and then how much is needed at a point on the T/E, at or near the tip.
Assuming that you are building using ribs without any building tabs ..... (If the ribs have building tabs then washout should be built into these).
One way is to make up a T/E support wedge from say 1/4" or 3/8" balsa, tapering from the washout value to nothing over the appropriate length.
Then just build the wing with the T/E resting on the support wedge, placed at the appropriate point, to get a straight trailing edge and the required washout.
Use the wedge until all the D box sheeting is in place (remembering to jack up the wedge by the lower skin thickness when you recheck with lower sheeting on) which should then lock in the washout.

I expect others have a better method, but that is what I do.