• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Discus (?) refurb

FrankS

Discus (?) refurb

Post by FrankS »

I acquired this model around 30 months ago and have just got round to looking at doing a refurb. Not sure who made it or its actual vintage, I found a previous owners label on it and the phone number started 0285, so it's before all landlines started 01XXX so that puts it pre 1995. It was obviously a good kit in it's day, the fuselage is in pretty good condition and I've now stripped the covering off one wing and obichi veneer on the foam is in pretty good condition. Original tailplane had been broken and repaired at some time, so I'll made a new one, also put in anew rudder post and new rudder as the hinges had seen better days. Controls are all pretty old school with snakes running from ailerons, airbrakes, rudder and elevator back to servos in the fuselage, but as they all work smoothly with little slop I'll keep it that was. Wing section looks a bit unusual and having got the covering off one the leading edge is squared up, so I'll do a bit of sanding to round it out. Plan is to spray the fuselage and vinyl the wings (I'll be coming back for tips on the latter. Might also need to source a new canopy as this one is quite marked and has a crack in it. Wingspan is just over 4 meters, anybody any idea who the kit manufacturer was (wing joiner is reminiscent of of Multiplex Fiesta I've got)
Attachments
P1050296a.jpg
P1050297a.jpg
P1050298a.jpg
Cliff Evans

Re: Discus (?) refurb

Post by Cliff Evans »

Looks very nice Frank.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
FrankS

Re: Discus (?) refurb

Post by FrankS »

Got to work on the other wing today, obviously had a bit of a bump some time. Unusual repair, looks like the covering wasn't removed, just filler over the film and then film over that. Should repair but for strength I think I will end up glassing both wings.