• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Sad News - Fred China

The place for your memories of those departed
Dave Smith

Sad News - Fred China

Post by Dave Smith »

All,

It is with great sadness that I have to report the loss of a great gentleman, modeler and friend, Fred China. Fred and his work is so well known in this community that I thought it would be appropriate to pass the word along here, and encourage all of you that were touched by Fred's friendship, sense of humour, and of course his incredible skills to add your thoughts in this thread.

I have known Fred since 2000, when I had my first exposure to large scale sailplanes at a winch launch event at 60 Acres field in Seattle. From that point onwards, Fred was my "go-to" mentor, as I built my first scale sailplane and joined the great crew that we have been lucky to have in the Pacific Northwest ever since. I have many, many "Fred" stories, which I will add over the next few days, but the man I will remember was happy, funny, incredibly skilled, sharing, patient and always concerned about our hobby and the friendships it created.

Fred was always willing to help and I visited him in his home about three weeks ago, where he steadfastly managed his own life, at the ripe old age of 93. He didn't want to be a bother to his friends and family, right up to his last days

A few years ago we proposed Fred for a Lifetime Achievement Award with the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) which was bestowed upon Fred. Few could have been more worthy of this award. The documentation that accompanied his nomination is attached below, and I would encourage you to read it as it covers some aspects of Fred that weren't always on display.

Please share this with any others you may know that would appreciate hearing this unfortunate news. Raise a glass to Fred. He enjoyed cheap beer.

Fred China Remembrance

Dave Smith
Jolly Roger

Re: Sad News - Fred China

Post by Jolly Roger »

I'm sad to learn of Fred's passing. I never met Fred but we corresponded about his Kirby Gull glider many times - for me it was a masterclass in craftsmanship and what can be achieved with 1/64" ply. I'm grateful for his contribution to scale gliding, both his wonderful wooden creations and his meticulously presented build threads.

Roger
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Sorry to hear that news, Dave: Fred's models were an inspiration to all that saw them.
FelipeGarcia

Post by FelipeGarcia »

Sad news, a couple of days ago I was watching a video Fred China Wing Build