• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

SF33 1/6 scale

Fans and Thermals.
Robcrad

Re: SF33 1/6 scale

Post by Robcrad »

Steve,
as Cliff says the Joiner is straight, the tube through the fus is straight, the dihedral is formed by the straight wing tubes being fitted lower at the tip end rib and central in the root rib. This results in the wing tip being higher when attached to the fuselage. If you have the short kit from Cliff, this is all done for you and is accurate, I have built one from Cliff's kit it is on page 9 or ten and you can clearly see dihedral.

Rob
Steve Naidamast

Post by Steve Naidamast »

Hi Peter & Cliff...

OK, what I am trying to understand is the following...

As the first attachment shows (wing root ribs angled inward), both wing root ribs (#1) are to be angled inward by approximately 16-degrees. Doing this when bring both wing-halves together will provide the slight dihedral.

The second attachment shows the two inner tubes that are supposed to be inserted in the root area ribs (sample for left wing).

If the two wing halves are to be angled against each other when connected by the rods that are supposed to be inserted into the tubing, how can they then accomodate "straight" rods when such rods would have to bent to a similar angle as the root ribs?

Thank you...

Steve
Attachments
SF33_WingRootRib_16DegreeAngle.png
SF33_WingRootArea_ConnectionTubing.png
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Can I suggest you try a straight rod between the two wings. Trust me the rod has to be straight! The tubes are angled in the wings to give the dihedral!
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Steve Naidamast

Thank you, Cliff...

I will take your suggestion as soon as I have done some work on the other wing.

Steve
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

A right angle is 90 degrees so that 84 degrees marked on the plan implies a 6 degree dihedral on each wing, not 16 degrees as you keep saying. That may help you to accept that straight rods will work, as long as the tubes in the wing are angled at 6 degrees.
Steve Naidamast

Trevor...

What was I thinking? Thank you for the correction.

For some reason I had it in my head that I was relating the angle to 100 degrees and not 90 degrees.

Must be getting old...

Steve
Robcrad

Post by Robcrad »

Steve,
On your first attachment of the root angle, draw a line at 90 deg from the face of the root rib towards the other rib. you will see that the line will be lower on the other ribs compared to the root. If you now draw the line out to the left of the root rib which is through the fuz you can see everything is straight but you have got the required dihedral. flip the wing drawing to the other side of the fuz and wing joiner straight, both wing panels angled up.

Rob
Steve Naidamast

Rob...

Thank you for your notes.

Though I have built a number of kits over the years, this is my first short-kit, which I believe is coming along quite well. However, though very good at research, trying to under the plans has sometimes been a bit difficult.

But I believe you, Cliff and Peter, have cleared up my confusion over this issue.

Thank you again...

Steve