• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Diacov from Sarik

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Jilles

Diacov from Sarik

Post by Jilles »

I am looking for a cover film for my 1:3 Kirby Kite model as mentioned in the Build threads
I did run out of Ikarex and looking now for an alternative
From the description it has a self adhesive side and can be applied and shrunk as normal film with Iron and heat gun.
Are there forum members that have expereince with this cover type, then I would like to hear their findings please
It is specified as white but pictures on the Sarik website seem to show a little yellow sheen What is it in real life?
The plan is to finish the Kirby Kite with a varnisch coat on the plywood and the cover to stay semi tranparent natural.
Would Diacov be suitable for my desired result?
You comments will be appreciated
Robcrad

Re: Diacov from Sarik

Post by Robcrad »

Hi Jilles
I have used Diacov on a 3 m glider and I do like it but there are a couple of things to be aware of. It is white, but translucent, the Sarik image is yellow because the backing is yellow. I found that the edges frayed a lot which is a bit of a pain and if it sticks to itself then the adhesive tends to pull off one side. It needs a little more heat to both tack and shrink, around 20 to 30 deg more, but it does iron really nicly and is good around curves. Shrinks well and stays tight. It seems to paint well, there is a thread on this forum discussing issues with painting Diacov,

Regards
Rob
B Sharp

Re: Diacov from Sarik

Post by B Sharp »

Hi Jilles. I used Diacov for the wings of the Wild Goose I am currently restoring (see the thread in this forum). I agree with Rob and have had little problem with the material. It is not white nor is it totally clear, it finishes translucent white and the wood grain can bee seen through the ironed on fabric.
It can fray slightly at the edges (a bit like nylon covering) but I gave the seams and edges a coat of clear cellulose dope then a rub with fine wet anc dry paper which completely solved the problem. I will definitely use Diacov on future "woody" projects.
Brian. :)