• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Problem painting Diatex

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
LarsWikstrom

Re: Problem painting Diatex

Post by LarsWikstrom »

That was clever, much better as it stops the thinner.
Do you possibly have the name of the water based varnish?
barrieburton34

Post by barrieburton34 »

Any of the usual types found at DIY stores.Check how the brushes are cleaned(the small print under directions)if water that is OK if spirits it is not water based.You can get glossy or matt,I ust matt.Normally from B&Q or Homebase
LarsWikstrom

Post by LarsWikstrom »

Thanks, to the shop then
LarsWikstrom

Post by LarsWikstrom »

Maybe I was too quick there. Do you think the water based varnish will find grip on the nitrate dope?
barrieburton34

Post by barrieburton34 »

Lars,did you mean dope sticking to the varnish?either way I have had no problems.I believe that all cars are now sprayed with water based paints and they have no problems with adhesion.
LarsWikstrom

Post by LarsWikstrom »

Barrie,
Did you sand the varnish before adding the coloured dope and on my can it says “dry three days”
Lars
barrieburton34

Post by barrieburton34 »

Morning Lars,I dont sand,and usually leave structure outside in the sun to dry,difficult this time of year,but another plus,it does not smell,so you can dry it in the house,without the wife knowing.
barrieburton34

Post by barrieburton34 »

Lars,I have a tin of Ronseal interior varnish,satin clear touch dry 20 mins.Wash brush in warm soapy water.
John Mcnamara

Post by John Mcnamara »

I used Diatex on my K8 and had no problem painting it. I sealed it with a 50/50 mix of nitrate and butyl dope, so a little bit of shrinakge but not too much. Like Robbie said, the trick is to thin it just the right amount so that it brushes out (use a good quality flat brush) without leaving tracks, but it filled the weave.I played around with how much thinner I added (it is also temparature dependant) until I was happy with the results. I think I gave it three coats in the end.
I sprayed 2k straight onto it and a light rub down with a 3M green pad and a good wash down.
John
LarsWikstrom

Post by LarsWikstrom »

Hi John,
Yes, everything went well with the white paint it seems to be something in the blue paint which causes this issue.
Skycraft have now sent me blue dye to add; however, I am doing some tests and will report back soon.
Lars