• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

SZD-8 Jaskolka 1/3 Scale**

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Peter Balcombe

Re: SZD-8 Jaskolka 1/3 Scale

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Using the rear fuselage spine strip notches to locate the rear formers, plus the front of the rear keel strip (S7) fitted into its slots in the forward formers (F13-15) it is a straightforward task to add the full length formers back to F21, followed by the intermediate ones. (I checked each was vertical & secured the bottoms of the full length ones to the baseboard as for the forward formers.
F21 also needs the fin LE strip adding to the rear of the spine strip. (This is notched into the spine and slots into the top of F21). Note that S7 projects well behind F21 as this ends just behind the fin post.

The tailplane mounting assembly can now be assembled between F22 & F24, also comprising the BR1 & BR2 braces plus the tailplane root ribs and bottom fin rib. The completed assembly can then be sat onto S7, with the lower fin rib FR3 notching onto the fin LE immediately below a rearwards projecting shape.

Full length Fin post F25 can be added, notching into the rear of FR3 and it’s angle defined when the top rib FR7 is put in place. FR4-6 can be fitted to complete the fin structure.

Finally, the 2 wing TE fairings FR2 can be fitted between F15, F16 and the root ribs to complete the laser cut item build stage.
All laser parts fitted
All laser parts fitted
Tailplane mount & fin
Tailplane mount & fin
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

All fuselage stringers/longerons are now fitted and 1/8” balsa doubler strips fitted around the edges of the front end formers in order to increase glueing area for the ply skins.

The 3D printed nose has also been fitted with captive M3 screw studs & the tow release tube in readiness for installation once the forward skins are in place. Temporarily fixed in position for assembly check prior to skinning (Note that an 1/8” brass rod will be epoxied through the rear of the tube when finally fixed, to transfer tow loads to the front formers).

The first of the four (top/bottom & left/right) 3D wing root fairings has also been printed (albeit with my only available filament colour!) & check fitted. This print failed on the last legs but shows the smooth complex curves.
Nose & former edge doublers
Nose & former edge doublers
Wing root fairing
Wing root fairing
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Dash panel done!

20211006_211949.jpg
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Fuselage skinning now started & going quite well as the smooth natural curves allow several former bays to be covered in one go. Thus, I have managed to apply the 0.8mm ply on the forward fuselage in only 3 pieces each side - going down to the main longeron (S1).

The front section back to the canopy front was the most difficult, due to the larger compound curves, but with a bit of care & initial steaming in-situ (wetted ply & hot covering iron to steam off the moisture) it stuck ok using the iron-on technique. The 2 other pieces were a doddle.

Upper nose skin
Upper nose skin

Note that the 2nd section only goes back to the wing LE as the 3D printed root fairings fill up most of the fuselage side back to F9. The 3rd piece covers the entire over wing section back to F15, where 0.6mm ply takes over.

Upper wing area
Upper wing area

Note that I have added extra 1/8” balsa doublers in several places to increase the skin glueing area.
Last edited by Peter Balcombe on 22 Nov 2021, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

1st 3D printed fin fairing just out of the printer & check fitted ok.
(These fairings could be used to ensure that the relevant fuselage formers are parallel to each other if available at that stage of the build).

Note that the solid base & front/rear could probably be removed after printing to leave the curved shell only - otherwise holes need to be made in base & rear in order to pass the rudder C/L tube through.
RH fin fairing
RH fin fairing
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

And a full set of 3D printed fairing are now complete.
They each took a while on my basic printer, but the end results look good.
(Background selected just for Brian S 8-)
Fin & wing LE fairings
Fin & wing LE fairings

Meanwhile, the fuselage upper skins have been fitted back to the fin, where 0.4mm ply will now take over from the 0.6mm material for the fin and fin base.
A start has also been made with the wing stubs, fitting the 1st layer of 0.4mm in 20mm strips spanwise. A 2nd layer will be fitted with joints staggered to achieve a 0.8mm thickness, but allowing a better fuselage/wing fillet curve.
Upper rear fuselage skins
Upper rear fuselage skins
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

The rear upper skins have now been fitted between the main longeron and the lower fin rib as shown below, using more 1/8” balsa doubler strips to provide additional glueing area and support for skin joints as appropriate.
The fin fairing pieces have also been epoxied into position, plus the rudder C/L tubes fitted - just need to break out the rear ends of the tubes through the skins shortly.
Lower fin skin/fairing
Lower fin skin/fairing

Skinning the wing roots has also progressed to the stage where the 2nd layer of 0.4mm ply strips is now being fitted.
The upper LE fairings can be put in place once the top layer in in place & the edges cleaned up.

LH root fairing strips
LH root fairing strips
Both fairings
Both fairings

With the upper fuselage skins in place, the fuselage should now be stiff enough to remove from the building board to deal with the lower half. However, I will leave for the present whilst I complete the wing root area skins.
Last edited by Peter Balcombe on 22 Nov 2021, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
Jilles

Post by Jilles »

From one beginner to an other beginner. it is looking promising
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi Peter

Thanks for sharing your build with us.

May I ask, are the printed fairings part of jilles original design, or is this an adaptation that you have created? The leading edge fairings should reproduce the smooth flowing transition from wing root to fus.

Many thanks
Mike
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Hi Mike,
The fairings are all part of Jilles’s design & I’m sure can be supplied with the short kit, much the same as the 3D printed nose cone.

(Cliff originally had some problems printing some of the fairings, so I had a go & got them out ok.
I since have sent my print settings to Cliff, so hopefully all is sorted now.)

Peter