• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

PT ASW20 winter flight

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Jolly Roger

PT ASW20 winter flight

Post by Jolly Roger »

OK, be honest, who's guilty of abandoning a perfectly decent model aeroplane, just because a *bigger* *better* model comes along?

The pattern seems to be that we have our honeymoon with each new plane....the drama of the maiden flight, the admiring comments from other flyers perhaps, the tentative exploration of the flight envelope, the handful of memorable flights.

And then...

.... that obsessive itch for something newer, with perhaps a bit more span, or a bit more carbon, or a bit more scale detail? The fate is set, and the original model starts its inevitable crawl towards the back of the ever-newer pile of models, gathering dust, maybe donating a few servos along the way, and then, tragically, all but forgotten.

I'm ashamed to say I've done my fair share of this, and so today, with all the resolve that a new year gives, I dug out my Pat Teakle ASW20, took it up the hill, and blasted the dust off its airframe in the 25 knot Westerly. Standing on the edge, I realised it was way too windy for the 28 year old foam-veneered wings, but what the hey...
Attachments
1 hand launch.PNG
Assemble.PNG
launch3.PNG
Last edited by Jolly Roger on 03 Jan 2022, 21:12, edited 2 times in total.
Jolly Roger

Re: PT ASW20 winter flight

Post by Jolly Roger »

And goodness me the air was bumpy, but the trusty Teakle '20 just flapped happily to itself and soaked up the ride.
Attachments
Lake Gormire.PNG
fly by.PNG
Last edited by Jolly Roger on 03 Jan 2022, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Higher up, the air was much smoother and the altitude offered fine views North and South along the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors.
Attachments
View North.PNG
View South.PNG
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

After 45 mins my hands were so cold and clumsy I felt like I was flying with boxing gloves, so I brought her round for a landing on the stubble field behind the slope. The one downside of this slope is the vicious rotor, which tossed the ASW around until the last 10 feet, finally allowing it to level out and slide beautifully back to earth.

Happy times.

Now what else is hiding at the back of the workshop?...
Attachments
Landed 2.jpg
Landed.jpg
Down.PNG
finals.PNG
Last edited by Jolly Roger on 03 Jan 2022, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Gough

Post by Martin Gough »

Nice one.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

;) Poetry.