• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Pat Teakle Salto

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Alan c

Pat Teakle Salto

Post by Alan c »

Did MaistroTeakle do 2 sizes of Salto, if so, does anyone know what sizes? I’ve bought one, works out at 144” span, 62” long, seems to work out at 1/4 Scale-Ish
Peter Balcombe

Re: Pat Teakle Salto

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Pat’s Salto original instructions dated 1985 show it to be a “142.5” span near 1/4 scale” & he only did one version as far as I am aware.
Fuselages & built-up wing designs are in the revised short kits available via Cliff Evans at Pat Teakle Sailplanes.
Alan c

Post by Alan c »

Thank you Peter, mine works out at a minute tad over 1/4 scale, not aware the full size was so small!
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Alan, there are 2 versions of the H101 Salto.
The ‘A’ version is 13.3m span, whilst the ‘U’ version is 15.5m.
Peter
Alan c

Post by Alan c »

Thanks for that, I have no idea which version Pat Teakle based his model on, are the 2 versions same on the fuselage length,
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Alan,
Previous info was taken from Wikipedia page.
Martin Simons quotes slightly different spans of 13.6m & 15.53m, both using a 5.95m O/A length fuselage.
Pat’s model fuselage is for the 13.6m version & the ailerons also go out pretty much to the tips whereas they finish well short of the tips on the 15.53m version.
I would therefore say that Pat based his model on the 13.6m version.
I will see if Pat can remember.
M Simons 3view
M Simons 3view
Alan c

Post by Alan c »

Many thanks for that, great help, I expected 1/4 scale to be bigger, I bought one years ago, never worked it’s scale out, then this one came up, and when I saw it, was disappointed, but bought it anyway, now I have 2, the same size, but just love the shape, time to get one airborne!
John Fairbairn

Post by John Fairbairn »

I have a Salto fibreglass fuz and plan that I got at one of our club auctions a lot of years back. The plan is German. The fuz is 42" and the span from the plan is 6"3".

Has anyone any idea as to the size of the Pat Teakle canopie please? Failing one of Pat's canopies has anyone any idea when I could get one? The canopie length on the plan is 300mm
My ambition is to grow old disgracefully. My wife tells me that I'm doing quite well so far.
https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1

John.
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Can’t remember the canopy length, but as the PT model is 1/4 scale & about 4.4m span, it would suggest that the canopy will be far too big for a 2m span model.
Having said that, you may just be able to cut the top centre section out to get something with the right sort of profile if not too wide?
John Fairbairn

Post by John Fairbairn »

Thank you for that suggestion Peter.

He seems to do a large and a small canopy and I think that I will try to contact him tomorrow and ask what size it is?

I have always liked the lines on the Salto. A very pretty aircraft. It was quite amusing when I looked at the plan because the 'V' tail set up had rudder/elevator and the plan shows how to do a mechanical mixer. I haven't built one of those for decades.

The plan was drawn by Wilfried Klinger and is an actual 'blueprint' and copied on to the plastic architects drawing sheet and is almost indestructible. It's quite impressive.
My ambition is to grow old disgracefully. My wife tells me that I'm doing quite well so far.
https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1

John.