• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/2.7 scale Hutter 17

Let us all watch your new project progress.
C.olson

1/2.7 scale Hutter 17

Post by C.olson »

Well it's time I dusted off the building board sharpened the tools and began a project iv been promising myself for years,
It's been around 8 years since iv been an "active" glide guider and a brush with cancer last year (all ok now) meant re evaluating what one gets from life and realising iv truly missed building and flying.
So after catching up with those household projects that got waylaid by ill health last year I finally got my shed in order and it's now officially a "workshop" with a few exchanges of emails with cliff Evans (laser cut sailplanes) I got my parts cut in no time,
Cut to a scale of approximately 1/2.7 (chosen that scale to fit the car) and based on the cliff charlesworth plans (enlarged)I'm hoping to have this ready for next summer.
The parts really are superbly cut and the wood choice throughout is spot on.
Attachments
Laying out parts prior to starting,all looking very good for accuracy .
Laying out parts prior to starting,all looking very good for accuracy .
C.olson

Re: 1/2.7 scale Hutter 17

Post by C.olson »

Framing up the formers on this model is such fun :D and very relaxing too (gosh iv missed building) so within a week of starting this is all I have to show ! But I'm enjoying it too much to rush, and I'm currently grabbing just an hour here and there between work sleep and other household chores but those odd few hours go too too fast !
Framed up the rear three formers so far another 6 to go.
Attachments
image.jpg
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Well iv managed to grab some more time and get another bunch of sticks glued up today.
Attachments
image.jpg
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Thanks,
It's been a very long time since I undertook any building,
Funny you mentioned the Woodstock as its a sailplane a fancy doing and have found an available plan from an American mag too 1/3 scale but be dammed if I can remember which mag it was in at this time in the morning! (just got home from a night shift)
Although after this H17 build I may unearth one of my glider kits from the loft first before another plan build.

Chris.
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Ah Yes that's the one cheers Colin, Iv got ithat issue tucked safely away somewhere but havnt seen it in ages! I have spoken with the designer and he never gave that magazine permission to print his plan !!! Apparently the magazine bought out a smaller European company and used all the plans from it in their American issues !!! (Allegedly ,,,,,,as I don't wanna be sued) its a good design with plenty of good vintage style building but with a more modern performance,,,,,I'm still tempted but I can't build everything "on the list" as I'll never sleep.
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Sleep dear cliff is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a chance to dream
Of whispering wings
And chattering servos
A chance to climb in endless thermals
Of perfect landings
And perfect circles
A chance to build that perfect model
Of subjects lesser known
And beat that other B****r
And take the trophy home.
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

I trust you had a peaceful sleep cliff???
Time to wake up you've got kits to cut!!,! Been a hectic week (my wife is soon moving to Cardiff for a few months with work so I'm helping with everything that needs doing) so I'm just grabbing the odd half hour here and there all week so not much to show this week.
Currently working on former "D" so will have pics by the end of the week to prove I'm still moving forwards!
Iv got some formers I have to draw up as in the upsizing of the plan they have disappeared off the edge !! So iv got to sharpen the pencils and get the ruler out this week.

Ps cliff iv just picked up a new 62 cc petrol so may be calling you to cut some ribs for a SDD greenley and run off a plan I'll be in Cardiff as of next week so I'll call you soon.
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Well it's been a while since iv posted,
Usual things getting in the way,work,chores oh and a mad dash to Cardiff as my wife works away and injured herself but the good news is I have now almost framed up all the formers,just a few more hrs work (hopefully this week) and they will all be done.
I'll shoot off some photos as soon as they are done,
All I need to do next is construct my fuz jig and the fun stuff begins.

Chris.
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Long awaited photos of the state of play so far,
the usual distractions have slowed progress somewhat work,cars,work etc but I've got all my Hutter formers completed now and I'll be shopping for the bits to build a fuz jig this week and begin turning them into a 3D object .
Attachments
image3.jpg
C.olson

Post by C.olson »

Been a busy bunny,
I've been getting my fuz jig made, and the trial fitting of some formers went very well today so progress finally ! All I need to do now is Finish getting all my jig supports spaced correctly and then I've got some templates to make and some steaming to do before I can begin adding the spruce longerons.
Attachments
image.jpg
image2.jpg