• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

COMMONWEALTH GAMES

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
VinceC
Site Admin

COMMONWEALTH GAMES

Post by VinceC »

I was watching the local news this evening and I was surprised that some Jersey youths are entering the Competition for Computer Gaming in the Commonwealth Games. I was totally unaware that such a category existed in a Sporting event and for myself believe that this can in no way be considered a sport.

In a light bulb moment I was then wondering wether the BMFA could push for model gliding to be included in the Games as this is already recognised as a Sport. To make it really challenging, I thought that a GPS triangular competition could be put forward for our inclusion because of the skills required to navigate the course taking in all the challenge of the elements.

It would give us 4 years to make our case for inclusion.

What do you think?
Jolly Roger

Re: COMMONWEALTH GAMES

Post by Jolly Roger »

It’s an interesting discussion Vince, and makes me realise how far I’ve been left behind by modern culture. When I was at school, “sports” were activities that made you tired and sweaty. To do well, you had to be physically strong, fit and skilful.

If you were really serious and aimed to compete at the Commonwealths, hundreds of hours of gruelling training were needed to get in peak physical condition, and then push yourself to superhuman levels of pain and exertion.

In contrast, aero modelling for me has always been a deeply absorbing and relaxing hobby, and a wonderful way to de-stress. I understand it means a lot more to some people and I am in awe of their skill and determination in constructing and flying models at the highest level. I just struggle to think of it as a sport in the old fashioned sense.
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Aeromodelling has been considered a sport for many years now, there are already world championships in various aspects of the hobby / sport. I wonder what John Greenfield will think of the idea and with him already heavily involved in GPS racing and also being quite a high profile, he would be up for the challenge of approaching the BMFA with such a suggestion? Over to you, John.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

I would love nothing more than to see GPS Triangle racing as a sport at the Commonwelth games but I can imagine an approach to the BMFA would result in every other dicipline of model flying being suggested as the one that should be put forward. As there are many different types of model flying the thought that one could rise to the top and be selected over all the others is unlikely.
GPS Triangle flying is growing worldwide, and in the UK, but as quite a new "sport" is does not carry the weight of some of the more established classes so I could see it could be quite a way down the list below those with a bigger following.
Notwistanding the above comments, if any one knows a way to lobby the Commonwelth Games Commission, let me know and we will give it a go.
AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

John, that was my worry about other aspects of model flying being involved. Maybe an application direct or through BARCS may be the way to go. I will post to the full size forums and see why they are not involved, as they used to be