• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

At last, the first aerotow for 2022

BrianF

At last, the first aerotow for 2022

Post by BrianF »

Well, in truth it was the first "planned" day. We did have an unplanned one in the first week of January. Every day we have organised since has been cancelled. This one almost was due to the rain forecast, however the light rain ended early that morning as predicted although it did scare a few away. The day turned out well, a small group ventured out into the great outdoors and some great flying occurred.

Jilles had some awesome flights with the 5m K8, the last one was impressive. Very high, multiple climbs and a long time airborne. Every time he came down he climbed away again. He topped it off with greaser landing right in front of the launch area. A great flight is even better when it is with a model you built from scratch.
John Dacombe is now the owner of Jilles' Grunau Baby, he had some nice flights with it too. I like seeing the vintage type models flying.
Karl flew the 6m Phoenix K8b. He got away a few times and worked hard in some low lift at times. Impressive to see a large model working lift low above trees.
Trent put on some nice displays as well as having excellent thermal climbouts. Everyone enjoyed the fast passes with his Ventus 2CX.
I set up my Decathlon for some towing, and had some play time when the others had a coffee break. The 120 is going well again after some TLC from DA Australia.
In the end Evan did all but one tow with his Cub. He's had some engine glitches in the past but it ran like a clock all day.
There were no incidents and great thermalling conditions.

Hopefully we get a good crowd and get some great weather for the next day out. Saturday 3rd Sept.

Proof we actually did fly on a beautiful day.
Der Himmel ist blau und die Luft ist gut!
www.seqsa.net
Cliff Evans

Re: At last, the first aerotow for 2022

Post by Cliff Evans »

Great video Brian. Good to see that you all had some good flying.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Philkiteflyer

Post by Philkiteflyer »

BrianF wrote: 07 Aug 2022, 07:52 In the end Evan did all but one tow with his Cub. He's had some engine glitches in the past but it ran like a clock all day.
There were no incidents and great thermalling conditions.
You wouldn't happen to have any more details on the cub? Arf - scratch - kit ? What the size / scale? Whats the power plant.

Thanks
Phillip C
Invercargill
"Keep it simple stupid"
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

Hi Phillip, it is a World Models 1/3 Cub. 3.6m span I think. Powered by DLE 111. It had a tow line snag on a fence a few years ago. The sudden stop damaged it. It was stripped, repaired and covered in fabric and repainted. Has been a reliable tug since.
www.seqsa.net
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

As a matter of interest, did the Cub pilot have the Barry Cole get out of jail mix programmed into his transmitter (with flaps down, application of full throttle drops the towline) ?
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Trevor wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 08:42 As a matter of interest, did the Cub pilot have the Barry Cole get out of jail mix programmed into his transmitter (with flaps down, application of full throttle drops the towline) ?
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
BrianF

Post by BrianF »

Trevor wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 08:42 As a matter of interest, did the Cub pilot have the Barry Cole get out of jail mix programmed into his transmitter (with flaps down, application of full throttle drops the towline) ?
I would say no, although it might not have helped as it happened very quickly and low. Did end up with a better model as a result.
It is a very good idea, I'll pass it on to the tuggers here.
www.seqsa.net