• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Problem painting Diatex

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
John Fairbairn

Re: Problem painting Diatex

Post by John Fairbairn »

Hi Lars, just found this thread. Any update on the Diatex paint problem?

I have just finished my Habicht and the wings are covered in it and that was after a problem with Ceconite 104. Mine went fine after several brushed coats of nitrate dope, then a couple of coats of white primer, Halfords best rattle cans? Then their rattle can VW Candy White. No problems wit that. The red sunburst was done in air brushed acrylic.

I tried to brush more dope on the Ceconite after the white paint and all ~I had was a hell of a mess. So the Ceconite was stripped off and I started again with the Diatex 1000. Not something I would like to have to do again!
My ambition is to grow old disgracefully. My wife tells me that I'm doing quite well so far.
https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1

John.
LarsWikstrom

Re: Problem painting Diatex

Post by LarsWikstrom »

Hi John,
Long story short I think the problem is that the blue paint is sensitive to high temperatures.
In the autumn I did a new try and now the temperature was around 18-20 degrees.
Suddenly the paint no longer ate itself through the dope, the result was great.

After painting the wings I sanded them down using wet sandpaper, starting with 1000 and progressed down to 4000.
I learned the hard way that I had to avoid sanding in circles, keep it straight(cross) and it will be fine.

Once I had done that I took a car rub polish Meguiars Scratch X 2 and an electric drill with a polish pad.
The result was a mirror finish.
It’s worth repeating that the white paint was excellent.
Lars