• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Anyone used BLL Models ?

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
AdamChambers

Re: Anyone used BLL Models ?

Post by AdamChambers »

I have the storch 5 kit.

3M span with scale section . Kit is very nicely presented. If you need any specific info, just ask. No mention of what the wing section is on the plan.

Paul, Ive since found the rudders both work together ,max 20 degrees throw. Elevons are reflexed in the design and 18mm down , 25mm up.
Paul_Williams

Post by Paul_Williams »

Hi Adam,
my build has been delayed by too much travelling this year !
Can you in fact get 20 degrees inboard rudder travel without fouling the elevon.

The cnc parts and plans were well packed to survive the postal system.
The plans are well drawn, although like any, a few more notes would be helpful.
there is a curious bracket that connects the sturdy centreline strut/fixed wing-root, to the rear motor mount.
I'm not convinced about the integrity of that in the event of an arrival and I intend to add a ply plate to the fuselage structure, to bridge the gap and hide it in a dummy engine cowling.

Videos suggest that the model flies well and is surprisingly aerobatic - I am sure the original would have disintegrated !
Storch V seems to have been the first of the Storch series to have reasonable handling qualities and one should remember it was experimental, rather than designed as a performance soarer. The kit gives one a decent stand-off scale model.

There aren't many Storch V photos about and I suspect some are miscaptioned and represent other versions.
Wearing my Scale Police uniform, I would say that the fin/rudders are a bit off but easily corrected during the build.
The fin/rudders are made detachable - great idea otherwise they are prime candidates for hangar rash ! The rudder servo installation could be modified to provide a more scale pushrod.

The elevons are visually a bit heavy in appearance and would be greatly improved by the addition of thin ply biscuits.
Adding biscuits to the wing would also greatly improve its appearance. Tedious but simple.

By the way, has anyone built RBC Kits Storch XI ??? I would very much like to obtain a copy of the plan as a basis of the XI glider variants - at least we know it flies !
Paul
AdamChambers

Post by AdamChambers »

Paul,

20 degrees for the rudders looks possible . I dont think its critical . Most of the flying appears to be elevons only. I watched a load of utube videos and the rudders are rarely used.

The design can be skinned with balsa or ply , your choice. Im not too concerned by scale fidelity but recognise a bit of effort does give a better look.

The motor mount and casing is one area that will be some attention.