• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

spoilers/ air brakes

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
Arthur Fielding

spoilers/ air brakes

Post by Arthur Fielding »

Hi
I would appreciate if someone could confirm that when the spoilers come out of the top surface of the wing ,the ailerons both come up to create less lift.
I could go on for ages ,but i hope you get the idea
Thanks for your time
Arthur
Barry_Cole

Re: spoilers/ air brakes

Post by Barry_Cole »

Yes

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
PhilTaylor

Post by PhilTaylor »

Arthur Fielding wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 18:28 Hi
I would appreciate if someone could confirm that when the spoilers come out of the top surface of the wing ,the ailerons both come up to create less lift.
I could go on for ages ,but i hope you get the idea
Thanks for your time
Arthur
Not if you are flying it "scale" ! - absolutely not done on a full-size glider
On a model - you could mix in "spoileron" up ailerons - but its really not necessary - and tends to limit the remaining aileron movement/effectiveness
What you are likely to find is that single top surface spoilers/brakes result in a nose-down pitch - both on full-size and models - you can mix this out with a touch of up elevator to go with the spoilers/brakes

Phil.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Using up-going ailerons for glide path control is a hidden gem. Used in conjunction with spoilers it will double their effectiveness without degrading aileron authority, providing you have set up enough movement in the mechanical linkage. On my 6th scale models there are no spoilers at all, and all the braking is done with ailerons, and I can report that this works very effectively...

Don't take my word for it: see the Skylark landing in this video...