• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Model glider full size collision

General discussion on any topic which doesn't have a natural home on any of the other boards.
Pat Marsden

Re: Model glider full size collision

Post by Pat Marsden »

Whoops.......did I miss a bit or did they not apportion blame? Reading it I would have said that the fullsize was to low but would be interesting to hear the official view

Pat
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

That was my reading as well Pat. However you can usually hear a Rotax a long way off and get your glider well out of the way in time and I don't think the model pilot was telling the whole story. In the past I have flown thermal competitions at that site on several occasions and know the layout well. The site is on the edge of the town, separated by the river. Soarers often send their models across the river to hunt for lift over the town. If the full size was following the river and the model pilot headed for home the two could well come into conflict.
Brian. :?
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Pat Marsden wrote:did I miss a bit or did they not apportion blame?

Pat
I though the AAIB did not do "blame" but "root cause" and "facts only" in their investigations... that way there's a better chance for the truth to come out :)

It reinforces the "you can't judge depth of distance" best to put vertical separation between you and an other.

mjcp
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
spike spencer

Post by spike spencer »

" "you can't judge depth of distance" best to put vertical separation between you and an other."
Not sure that "vertical separation" can be guaranteed with the known depth perception problem.
If you really fail to notice an approaching fullsize aircraft, making engine noises or not (gliders ?), a more reliable strategy would be to direct your model in whichever direction gives the most rapidly increasing Angular separation from the intruder. If that best direction is straight down, so be it !

Safety of the fullsize is always paramount.

P.S. Angular separation is also effective against other models, trees, fences etc.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Spot on Spike. As an ex safety officer and instructor, I always taught fliers to point the models nose 90 degrees away from the line of flight of the full size aircraft and descend. (Unless of course the model was patently well above the approaching aircraft when descending would be foolish )
Light aircraft regularly use the large field in front of my house to practice emergency landings and when I fly an electric glider from my garden I get to practice my avoidance technique quite often.
Brian.