• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

canopy catch

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
mick a

canopy catch

Post by mick a »

hi gents
has anyone got any ideas for a canopy latch , have seen some ideas but cant find anymore
its a ka8b and is hinged on one side so just need to secure it other side
any ideas greatly recd
Ian Davis

Re: canopy catch

Post by Ian Davis »

Hi Mick

If it actually hinged on one side rather than a pin and tube arrangement then a magnet let into the fuselage structure with a steel plate let into the underside of the canopy frame would work well.

If it's a pin and tube hinging then a spring loaded catch, in opposition to the slide direction for the main hinging would be OK. The spring loaded catch needs to be positioned in the middle of the canopy length rather than at either end.

My K18 had a similar arrangement, with the spring loaded catch emerging thro' the former behind the canopy with the pin passing thro' a hole in the rear canopy frame and it was great for some years but then I managed to lose the canopy at a White Sheet meeting. Luckily the canopy landed at my feet.

I figure out that the canopy frame can flex and move away from the pin.

Hope this helps.

Ian ;)
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Here's a nice, simple version...
Attachments
P1030507 copy.jpg
mick a

Post by mick a »

great ideas gents
chris looks good , does it work just snapping closed ?
mick a

Post by mick a »

i think ive sussed it
chris , picking your brains again , i think i remember you doing a build or a guide on how to make a sliding window in canopy , this will solve two proba as can make a catch to get
finger in
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Yes, it will snap shut if you angle the brass part in the fuselage... You can get sliding windows in 1/4 scale from Gliders, I think. I just cut out the aperture and screw in a couple of plastic rails, fixing the vent itself in the open position so it doesn't have to slide and you can get your finger in...
Attachments
P1060626.JPG
mick a

Post by mick a »

great thanks chris
i will have to make one as im building 1/3 rd scale , i dont think should be too difficult