• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

How Big Will It Get ??

The place for all things large - approaching half scale or larger.
Jason Griffiths

How Big Will It Get ??

Post by Jason Griffiths »

Hello Everyone :D

Just thought i would post a question here, not sure if it has been asked before, but here goes ... some of us on here are building 50% bigger and i think i have seen up to 80% bigger, just wondering what is the maximum size for a radio controlled glider and would a real 1:1 (full size) glider ever be allowed to become radio controlled ?
Thanks JG
spike spencer

Re: How Big Will It Get ??

Post by spike spencer »

Jason,
1:1 is quite possible, as long as you understand the legal definition of "Unmanned Aircraft" as distinct from "Small Unmanned Aircraft".
Realistically, sensible limits are imposed by the availability of a site large enough to transport, launch and recover those larger machines. Perhaps you have friends at Aberporth or own a large personal estate (the grouse moor, rather than the Volvo type) ?

If you are going to build something that big and attain the necessary Airworthness documentation, why not join a real gliding club and climb in ? ;)

Technically, it has been done years ago. While he may not have built it himself, a certain well known Peanut Scale aeromodeller now RCM&E columnist, has also flown the fullsize RC (Gunnery Target) version of the De Havilland Sea Vixen fighter on delivery flights back in the 1980s. However, when it did fly RC, it was under very different rules to those enjoyed by BMFA members !
Jason Griffiths

Morning Spike :D

No i would never go that big, i was just wondering if it could and when is too big to big but like you say down to field, towing etc

I was thing CAA would not permit such a size .... but looks like they do :)
Thanks JG
glidermalc

Post by glidermalc »

Check out the Colditz thingy
1:1 Full sized unmanned and flown from the roof of Colditz Castle!
We use three independent radio modules one for each aileron and one in the tail for the rudder and elevator.
Malc
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Guys

Whilst full size powered aircraft have been flown by radio there are strict limits laid down by EASA / CAA as to the size we can build to for sport and recreation purposes.
For powered models the max take off weight must not exceed 150kg and for pure gliders the max take off weight is 80kg. There are no dimensional limits to go with these weight figures but please remember ALL models over 20kg will require to be put through the "Over 20kg Inspection Scheme" if they are intended to be operated ANYWHERE in UK airspace. Full details of the scheme can be found here.

https://www.largemodelassociation.com/r ... kg-scheme/

There are no exceptions to this process and flying large models without certification just because you are on a "private" site is still breaking the law.
All European countries have similar schemes although the trigger weights do vary a bit and most of the rest of the world either have schemes in place or are actively working on introducing them, most based on the UK system.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Jason Griffiths

Hello John - I thought their would be a weight limit or size, although im not building nothing that size or weight, it was just a question i thought i would post ;)
Thanks JG
glidermalc

Post by glidermalc »

John is perfectly correct if you have a model that exceeds these weights then it will have to be inspected and approved.
The Colditz "Thingy"- as I see it has been renamed(!) - had permission from the German LBA for flight from the castle.
Malc
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Rossco.

You are welcome.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)