• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

1/2 scale Lo100

The place for all things large - approaching half scale or larger.
alexis scott

1/2 scale Lo100

Post by alexis scott »

I have been fortunate enough to purchase a preproction fuselage and tail surface kit from RCplans and I have a detailed build thread going over on rcg, but thought I would like to share some of the pictures of its progress here also
Attachments
20160816_144750.jpg
20160817_084854.jpg
Barry_Cole

Re: 1/2 scale Lo100

Post by Barry_Cole »

You need a bigger car.....

BC
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

I'd like to have as much of the internals working before I skin the fuselage. So I have decided, as there is a fuselage stiffener externally on the Lo100 that starts behind this point, I may as well make the tow points scale so I'm making a pair of these one for each side. With a nice grunty servo between them, then the bridle will also be on a loose loop so as long as one side releases, I'll be off tow. I envisage using bungee help for slope launches, so this should also allow a little climb on lift off. Next I'd like to get all three serrvos sorted for the tail surfaces, a pull pull with bellcrank for rudder and a pair of carbon pushrods for the elevators.
Attachments
20160830_121310.jpg
alexis scott

Tailplane

Post by alexis scott »

Tail end progress, today the leading edge and top of the fin bave been trimmed and sanded closer to their final shape and the tailplane is now all glued up as a frame work ready for the skin, ive put hard points into tbe mounting area, tbe front has a 20x10mm channel in tbe box and the rear mount is filled with laminted spruce as its a bit thinner.
Before i stopped for the afternoon i started setting up the .8 ply skins for the stab because tbe tail is longer tban tbe 4' sheets I trimmed tbe sheet to fit tbe second to last rib each side making the joins in tbe ply out near the end in the lower load area and also making the joins the same on each side and by cutting tbe cut off piece in half i can do the complete top side with minimum material waste
Attachments
20160912_131823_resized.jpg
20160912_132549_resized.jpg
alexis scott

Mounted

Post by alexis scott »

Another small milestone this morning, tailplane mounted after leaving overnight to dry, after breakfast im hoping to glue down the tip skins and add the leading edge before i can start work on elevator horns and sheeting.
Attachments
20160913_080109.jpg
20160913_080159.jpg
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Looking good Alexis. I do hope you used scarf joins in the ply !?

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

Glad you like it John Not scarfed on the tailplane as yhe only joins are so close to tbe tip and also at tbe point the spar starts tapering sharper, I do plan to scarfe the fuselage, do you have a jig or secret master zen tip to making the scarfe easier ?
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

Alexis

See my turorial videos here for an easy way to make scarf joints. It also shows how to form ply around sharp radii.

http://www.ghostsquadron.co.uk/ply_shee ... plete.html

Although it shows a wing, the method for the fuz is the same.Hope it helps.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

john greenfield wrote:Alexis

See my turorial videos here for an easy way to make scarf joints. It also shows how to form ply around sharp radii.

http://www.ghostsquadron.co.uk/ply_shee ... plete.html

Although it shows a wing, the method for the fuz is the same.Hope it helps.

AEB
Thanks John that can be my after work wind down study tonight
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

This morning before work I was able to have ago at making a horn system that Im hoping I will be able to manage through a scale hatch in the side of the fuselage, the plan is that the aluminium squashed tube section which is a lovely snug fit around the modified dubro heavy duty pull pull systems nylon flag which I've drilled and cut shorter so now instead of being like a flag threaded onto that threaded bar its now more like a horn, once the horn is slid all the way into the aluminium tube then I have a single self tapping allen head screw that is the only part of the process that needs to be done through the hatch <, the pushrod attaches to the bottom via a bolt through solder on dubro clevis, this clevis will be soldered to a length of wire which will be epoxied inside the carbon tube pushrod,the tube will also be bound at its end with either carbon tows or thread so that it can't split along its grain
Attachments
20160916_093731_resized.jpg
20160915_235727_resized.jpg