Page 1 of 1

1/2 scale Lo100

Posted: 24 Aug 2016, 17:18
by alexis scott
I have been fortunate enough to purchase a preproction fuselage and tail surface kit from RCplans and I have a detailed build thread going over on rcg, but thought I would like to share some of the pictures of its progress here also

Re: 1/2 scale Lo100

Posted: 24 Aug 2016, 20:26
by Barry_Cole
You need a bigger car.....

BC

Posted: 30 Aug 2016, 22:53
by alexis scott
I'd like to have as much of the internals working before I skin the fuselage. So I have decided, as there is a fuselage stiffener externally on the Lo100 that starts behind this point, I may as well make the tow points scale so I'm making a pair of these one for each side. With a nice grunty servo between them, then the bridle will also be on a loose loop so as long as one side releases, I'll be off tow. I envisage using bungee help for slope launches, so this should also allow a little climb on lift off. Next I'd like to get all three serrvos sorted for the tail surfaces, a pull pull with bellcrank for rudder and a pair of carbon pushrods for the elevators.

Tailplane

Posted: 12 Sep 2016, 13:48
by alexis scott
Tail end progress, today the leading edge and top of the fin bave been trimmed and sanded closer to their final shape and the tailplane is now all glued up as a frame work ready for the skin, ive put hard points into tbe mounting area, tbe front has a 20x10mm channel in tbe box and the rear mount is filled with laminted spruce as its a bit thinner.
Before i stopped for the afternoon i started setting up the .8 ply skins for the stab because tbe tail is longer tban tbe 4' sheets I trimmed tbe sheet to fit tbe second to last rib each side making the joins in tbe ply out near the end in the lower load area and also making the joins the same on each side and by cutting tbe cut off piece in half i can do the complete top side with minimum material waste

Mounted

Posted: 12 Sep 2016, 23:41
by alexis scott
Another small milestone this morning, tailplane mounted after leaving overnight to dry, after breakfast im hoping to glue down the tip skins and add the leading edge before i can start work on elevator horns and sheeting.

Posted: 13 Sep 2016, 08:12
by john greenfield
Looking good Alexis. I do hope you used scarf joins in the ply !?

AEB

Posted: 13 Sep 2016, 13:59
by alexis scott
Glad you like it John Not scarfed on the tailplane as yhe only joins are so close to tbe tip and also at tbe point the spar starts tapering sharper, I do plan to scarfe the fuselage, do you have a jig or secret master zen tip to making the scarfe easier ?

Posted: 14 Sep 2016, 08:12
by john greenfield
Alexis

See my turorial videos here for an easy way to make scarf joints. It also shows how to form ply around sharp radii.

http://www.ghostsquadron.co.uk/ply_shee ... plete.html

Although it shows a wing, the method for the fuz is the same.Hope it helps.

AEB

Posted: 14 Sep 2016, 11:48
by alexis scott
john greenfield wrote:Alexis

See my turorial videos here for an easy way to make scarf joints. It also shows how to form ply around sharp radii.

http://www.ghostsquadron.co.uk/ply_shee ... plete.html

Although it shows a wing, the method for the fuz is the same.Hope it helps.

AEB
Thanks John that can be my after work wind down study tonight

Posted: 16 Sep 2016, 16:17
by alexis scott
This morning before work I was able to have ago at making a horn system that Im hoping I will be able to manage through a scale hatch in the side of the fuselage, the plan is that the aluminium squashed tube section which is a lovely snug fit around the modified dubro heavy duty pull pull systems nylon flag which I've drilled and cut shorter so now instead of being like a flag threaded onto that threaded bar its now more like a horn, once the horn is slid all the way into the aluminium tube then I have a single self tapping allen head screw that is the only part of the process that needs to be done through the hatch <, the pushrod attaches to the bottom via a bolt through solder on dubro clevis, this clevis will be soldered to a length of wire which will be epoxied inside the carbon tube pushrod,the tube will also be bound at its end with either carbon tows or thread so that it can't split along its grain

Posted: 27 Sep 2016, 16:44
by alexis scott
Ive had a busy couple weeks of things like work and family slowing down the process of the Lo100 but tonight I managed to get the elevators hinged and sheeted in Balsa so small steps but it is progress, Im using a removable pin with Robart giant hinge points,, I very carefully filled of the peened part of the rivet then opened out the hole just a smidge to allow the pin to slide smoothly with out being hard or sloppy, Ive used aluminium tube between each hinge point so that the sharpened pin guides itself through all parts of the hinge without too much bother. I used balsa scrap to support the tube and then I shaped this down to form the leading edge of the elevator.

Posted: 03 Nov 2016, 12:43
by alexis scott
tail closer.jpg
closer 1.jpg
closer 1.jpg
Well Ive started skinning, I'm using scarfe joints and so far Really happy with the results,

Posted: 04 Nov 2016, 07:44
by john greenfield
Looking good Alexis. Just keep checking that the model remains straight until you have enough sheeting on to make it rigid.

AEB

Posted: 04 Nov 2016, 12:06
by alexis scott
john greenfield wrote:Looking good Alexis. Just keep checking that the model remains straight until you have enough sheeting on to make it rigid.

AEB
Thanks John, yes I'm keeping the edge of the build in stands all lined up along the edge of my board until I flip it over to do the bottom and I'm planning to do as much of the bottom in single pieces from crutch line to crutch line in one piece which should help to prevent being able to built with any deviation.

Posted: 07 Nov 2016, 12:27
by alexis scott
Today saw the support stands getting cut off and the wing mounting blind nuts being installed followed by the fuselage being bolted down to the bench ready for the bottom skin to be made and applied, In the morning Im off to a buddies furniture factory to slice a couple strips of ply up to form the skid from, then in to town to get what I hope is the last batch of ply for the fuselage, all going well I'll have a lot of the fuselage skin by this time tomorrow night

Posted: 07 Nov 2016, 12:29
by alexis scott
Plus two more pics of the big bird sitting outside

Update of progress

Posted: 09 Nov 2016, 02:57
by alexis scott
Just to keep the thread up to date, here we are aa of this morning

Posted: 10 Nov 2016, 11:53
by alexis scott
A little more progress today

Posted: 11 Nov 2016, 07:19
by john greenfield
Looking good Alexis. You will remember to finish installing all the internals before you finish the sheeting wont you !!? :lol:

AEB

Posted: 11 Nov 2016, 10:52
by alexis scott
Lol. Not only did I finish it all except the receiver, which has a platform ready behind the pilots seat area, but I photographed the push rod supports and lock wires that wont be visible after sheeting easily so that if my large model inspector asks about any thing internal I can show him.

Posted: 13 Nov 2016, 04:47
by alexis scott
Almost all done with paneling, nose block almost ready for glassing, also started with things like the minimal cockpit details

Posted: 15 Nov 2016, 02:48
by alexis scott
Dash panel ✔skid bolted in ✔basic seat✔seat belt slots in main bulkead✔ nose cone made in fiberglass and a secure method of attachment made using the pitot tube ✔ all fairly simple stuff, wirth noticing I suppose is that the dash panel is attached to the varbon fibre plate that slides into rails for easy cover up and access

Posted: 22 Nov 2016, 03:21
by alexis scott
Call it procrastination, but instead of clearing iff the big bench to get ready for building the wings I took a break from the serious building and made some belts to keep the pilot in.
rpsbelts 20161122_145030.jpg

Posted: 01 Dec 2016, 22:54
by alexis scott
Finally some progress on the wings, im assembling a kit of the ply skins all cut to shape first then ill finish all the spar slots and glue them in, once I have a wing i can man handle around in one piece ill be slicing the back of the foam of back to 6mm in front of the hinge line and facing this with 2 pieces of 6.5mm balsa then ill have good straight wings to start building aileron and flap onto the back off and because they are full skun control surfaces im going to build them straight onto the top of the bottom skin then i can sand the whole lot to profile before adding top ply skin, ill also chamfer the trailing edge bottom skin so that the top skin of 1.5mm will be the maximum thickness of the trailing edge

Posted: 12 Dec 2016, 09:46
by alexis scott
So, spars and joiner tubes are now in and done, not a very exciting picture so i wont bother with that,.a couple of my scale soaring buddies showed me a dash panel for what looks like it could be from.an Lo100 and it was full of ipad screens etc, and gave me a little bit of stick about my simple 4 dials so ive retaliated with what you see here, my plan is to make a dummy frame to go around this old samsung phone to make it look like the Garmin in te other picture, now tbe phone doesnt have an active sim so real time gps is out for now but i figure i can save a little video file to the phone so tbat it will appear to be working whilst im flying, (bring on the head cam in cockpit vodeos now i say)

Posted: 13 Dec 2016, 01:03
by alexis scott
Wings bolted up to fuselage for first test fit, very happy indeed

Posted: 13 Dec 2016, 08:21
by john greenfield
Looking good Alexis.
Do you think you will have it ready for Jerilderie ? I am planning to be there.

AEB

Posted: 13 Dec 2016, 11:10
by alexis scott
john greenfield wrote:Looking good Alexis.
Do you think you will have it ready for Jerilderie ? I am planning to be there.

AEB
I really hope it is ready by then but im not sure if im going to make it to jerilderee myself yet,,i would like to but i have comitted to the big drive across to the big slope event at manilla in september, so may not be able to do to many others trips

Posted: 22 Dec 2016, 20:26
by alexis scott
Wishing all the Scale soaring uk peoole a very Merry Christmas and Happy new year festivities, Its a Busy time of year for a Dad and chef so not lots happening but im trying to keep this project rolling along, left wing now has a trailing edge of aileron and flap made of 1.5mm ply with balsa ribs, so far Im happy with the results, i have a full kit of bits to bring the othercwing uo to this point aswell so hopefully in a few days both wings will be rrady for leading edge sheeting and cap stripping

Posted: 27 Jan 2017, 07:50
by john greenfield
Hi Alexis

How are you getting on with the LO 100. It must be nearly ready to fly by now !?

AEB

Posted: 30 Jan 2017, 21:20
by alexis scott
john greenfield wrote:Hi Alexis

How are you getting on with the LO 100. It must be nearly ready to fly by now !?

AEB
Lost a little momentum with busy time of year for a chef, but Tappanappa last week has fired me up to get back in to it so progress shots not far away again,
Regards
Alexis

Posted: 31 Jan 2017, 09:19
by john greenfield
AEB[/quote]
Lost a little momentum with busy time of year for a chef, but Tappanappa last week has fired me up to get back in to it so progress shots not far away again,
Regards
Alexis[/quote]

Keep at it Alexis, and keep the photos coming.

AEB

Posted: 14 Feb 2017, 20:11
by alexis scott
Still battling for time, but I did spend a little time in the shed before work yesterday and now both wings have the 1.5mm sheeting chamfered back to accept the two layers of .6mm ply wrapped around the front, I need to get back to my ply supplier to pickup some more before I can continue with the leading edge, so if time permits today I'm going to start removing the flaps and ailerons and start work on hinging and setting up the drive for them.
Regards
Alexis

Posted: 15 Feb 2017, 08:03
by john greenfield
2 layers of 0.6mm ply ! Do you really need that on top of foam ?

AEB

Posted: 16 Feb 2017, 03:35
by alexis scott
john greenfield wrote:2 layers of 0.6mm ply ! Do you really need that on top of foam ?

AEB
Possibly not but the wing is skin in 1.5mm so there would be quite a void to then fill and it's .6 bass ply not birch which is definitely tougher. I did deliberate for quite a while and decided it would be easier to fair into the 1.5 with two layers. I'm really happy with the strength on the wings considering that there isn't a huge amount of spar inside.
The left wing has now had both its control surfaces cut off and beveled for hinging, hoping to get the right wing done tonight

Posted: 16 Feb 2017, 07:30
by john greenfield
:D Keep up the good work.

AEB

Posted: 19 Feb 2017, 06:36
by alexis scott
Both wings now have flaps and Ailerons removed ready for hinging and pushrod set up,
Small change in plan, my original plan was to bottom hinge the flap and top hinge the aileron, well the flaps are still going with that plan but Im going to go back to giant Robart for the ailerons as Dumbass me forgot to take into account that because of the change in section in line with the plan form the hinge line is only straight at zero deflection, so my plan now is to make thin glass fairings for the hinge gap as I didn't forsee this problem, when I built in the structure of the ailerons and drag spar, :(
any way the plan is to now re-bevel the aileron leading edge ready for the hinge points then fill the gap temporarily with balsa, then use Packing tape up to the hinge line before laying a thin layer of glass and resin over the area that I can trim back after cured.
(hope that makes sense)

Posted: 19 Feb 2017, 17:23
by john greenfield
Ah, the joys of scratch building !
Keep up the good work.

AEB

Posted: 20 Feb 2017, 07:50
by Barry_Cole
Has anyone actually build this scratch that we keep hearing about???

:o :o :o :o

BC

Posted: 20 Feb 2017, 11:35
by alexis scott
Barry_Cole wrote:Has anyone actually build this scratch that we keep hearing about???

BC
Not sure I understand the question? My fuselage is the first cut from Andy and Shane, and the wings are of my own design as the wing drawings weren't done at the time my fuselage was cut I believe the wing drawings for the kit are closer now.

Posted: 21 Feb 2017, 05:32
by alexis scott
Must have been another late night post as I totally missed the humor, sorry :roll: What a wally ;) I think scratches are only available in arf version now Barry :D

Posted: 22 Feb 2017, 13:42
by alexis scott
Pictures still to come but Im very happy with how the leading edges have turned out and, JG you were right again, I only used one layer of the ply and the profile looks good and feels really solid, so I won't be adding that extra layer after all.
regards,
Alexis

Posted: 23 Feb 2017, 04:47
by Simon WS
alexis scott wrote:Must have been another late night post as I totally missed the humor, sorry :roll: What a wally ;) I think scratches are only available in arf version now Barry :D
To be fair, Barry's humour passes most of us by!...

Simon

Posted: 23 Feb 2017, 11:43
by alexis scott
First leading edge out of the press, very happy, with the result, both wings have full leading edges, they have been sanded down to fare into the rest of the sheeting and currently have a smear of filler over the join just to try and keep the section as true as possible, now the fun of fitting servos and hinging begins for the wings

Posted: 27 Feb 2017, 13:40
by alexis scott
Both wings now have leading edges and all moving surfaces removed from them. Tonight I've managed to do the dry fit of aileron hinges to one wing and have fitted the false leading edge to that aileron ready to be shaped in the morning, before work. Pictures to come after that. I'm hoping to get the other wing to the same state tomorrow so that I can start making wing servo mountings and the wiring loom for each wing. I won't be making and shaping the tips until I'm closer to having the wings ready to cover because as they are at the moment, I cannot move them around in the workshop holding them vertically. With the tips on they don't fit between floor and ceiling.

Posted: 01 Mar 2017, 05:30
by alexis scott
Quick video of the trailing edge bits showing 0.6mm bass ply that I inlaid with a dremel router so that I should only need minor smoothing in front, I will be glassing the inside and whilst that cures I'll hold the surfaces at a mild down position so that the wiper has a positive seal at neutral.

Posted: 01 Mar 2017, 06:54
by john greenfield
Looking good Alexis.
Do be careful with the flap horn geometry to get a strong positive linkage with the flaps deployed. the horns will have to be set well back from the hinge line.

AEB

Posted: 01 Mar 2017, 11:47
by alexis scott
Do be careful with the flap horn geometry to get a strong positive linkage with the flaps deployed. the horns will have to be set well back from the hinge line.

AEB
Ok I'm usually pretty good with this geometry but my plan was to run the pushrod to the top of the flap just under the wiper and keep all drive internal as the full size is driven with torque tubes back to the centre of the pylon, feel I'm missing something now ? Please explain further JG

Posted: 02 Mar 2017, 06:56
by john greenfield
alexis scott wrote:

AEB
Ok I'm usually pretty good with this geometry but my plan was to run the pushrod to the top of the flap just under the wiper and keep all drive internal as the full size is driven with torque tubes back to the centre of the pylon, feel I'm missing something now ? Please explain further JG
Hi Alexis
No problem with an internal linkage but do make sure that the horn extends forward of the hinge line to allow the pushrod to connect as far forward as possible. In this way, when the flaps deploy the mechanical advantage of the geometry will increase as the flaps lower so giving more effective power to the linkage.
It needs to be the opposite if using an underside horn and linkage. In this case the horn needs to be set back behind the hinge line to get the same effect.

AEB

Posted: 02 Mar 2017, 07:06
by alexis scott
In that case all is good as I've made brass bushed carbon horns that protrude forward from the hinge line, I was getting worried :D

Posted: 05 Mar 2017, 19:58
by alexis scott
Pictures to come later, but reasonable progress last night, managed to get a flap servo in and working well just need to adjust the cover to flush and make up an alloy strip to lock the servo down,

Posted: 07 Mar 2017, 13:12
by alexis scott
The right wing now has both control surfaces as working parts, I still need to make up the leads and carve a tip and it will be ready for caps strips top and bottom, I'll get the other wing to this same point before I start the cap stripping as I'll do both wings together in one build session..

Posted: 09 Mar 2017, 05:32
by alexis scott
This morning I made a start on the control hookup of the left wing, and this time ill take a few more pictures of the details of how I'm doing it. The servo holes are cut into the foam with a hole saw, then I drop in the strip of 1.5mm ply and press down the ply flange, all glued up until I get home from work tonight. Then I will epoxy in the mounting blocks for the cover and remove the foam from inside the hole and mount the servos to the hatches..

Posted: 15 Mar 2017, 04:23
by alexis scott
Things are moving along slowly but moving on they are. I was hoping that I would have a completed airframe by now, but even with my plan of a little every day I'm still not getting there as quick as I'd like. Anyhow here's what I have so far, including how I went about making hollow balsa wingtips, nothing earth shattering but perhaps a different method to carving from solid.

Posted: 19 Mar 2017, 05:19
by alexis scott
Today was a day I've been looking forward to for a while,not much to say other than everything went together really well. The only thing I had forgotten before I could finish the first assembly was that I needed holes in the top of the wing seat so the leads didn't get crushed.

Posted: 10 May 2017, 07:17
by john greenfield
Hi Aexis

How are you getting on. Not seen any updates fpor a while. It must be nearly finished by now ?

AEB

Posted: 22 May 2017, 01:44
by alexis scott
john greenfield wrote:Hi Aexis

How are you getting on. Not seen any updates fpor a while. It must be nearly finished by now ?

AEB
Nearly all the wiring done, lots of little tidy up jobs that need to be done before I start covering, work and family life has been a bit hectic so not getting the big blocks of time Id like to make fastre progress, also need to start making sure all the other things I'm taking to manilla slopefest are reliable and safe for a week long flying session

Posted: 27 Jun 2017, 07:22
by john greenfield
Come on Alexis. It must be finished by now ???!

AEB

Posted: 27 Nov 2017, 19:20
by alexis scott
Minor milestone today actually finished rear incedence dowels with brass tubes and 8mm steel rods, One each side of the rear attachment bolt, so tonight was first time I've completed a full bolt down tight of the wings and they feel fantastic

Posted: 02 Dec 2017, 12:00
by alexis scott
Made a little scale latch that I'll operate with a forked tool that I xN insert through the sliding window

Posted: 02 Dec 2017, 12:51
by chris williams
Make two forked tools Alex, if you only have one you're bound to lose it :D (Same principle applies to tow releases)

Posted: 02 Dec 2017, 23:18
by alexis scott
chris williams wrote: 02 Dec 2017, 12:51 Make two forked tools Alex, if you only have one you're bound to lose it :D (Same principle applies to tow releases)
Lol my plan was to have one stashed in the base of my transmitter case and one in the cockpit when I'm not flying even considering attaching it with fine hat elastic somewhere so that it could be dropped behind the seat when not being used

Posted: 03 Dec 2017, 00:05
by chris williams
Perfect...belt, braces and suspenders...

Posted: 11 Dec 2017, 21:31
by alexis scott
Covering has begun, this was a test piece using Bemsilk and titebond3, I've decided against the thinned glue and am using the Bemsilk with dope, more pictures when some dope is dried

Posted: 18 Dec 2017, 12:09
by alexis scott
I ran out of dope for covering today so I decided to have a play with the pilot and harness, I making new better proportioned hands and one of my buddies with 3d printer is having a go at printing a better head, this doll was cheap and so far by changing her into more adult looking children's clothing the beginning of a reasonable pilot can be seen. The harness and buckle has been made using car key blanks and polymorph plastic, I haven't used it before but I'm happy with the simple results so far

Posted: 19 Dec 2017, 03:45
by alexis scott
Sewing machine came out to play today and then some hopefully better sized polymorph hands were made, now off to pick up new tin of dope on my way to work so that I can get back to covering in the morning

Posted: 20 Dec 2017, 12:49
by alexis scott
Both wings have some fabric, yay! Right wing only just received second coat so a wrinkly wet in this shot left wing still wet from first coat which is the attachment coat, I'm enjoying progress

Posted: 20 Dec 2017, 14:29
by Barry_Cole
Don't look Brian...

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC

Posted: 31 Jan 2018, 09:23
by Barry_Cole
Brian does not have clutter......

He is our hero...

:D :D :D :D

BC

Posted: 04 Feb 2018, 01:51
by alexis scott
Wings covered, Rudder covered and fuselage now ready to start glassing this week

Posted: 04 Feb 2018, 09:30
by Barry_Cole
If anyone hears a loud bang over Scotland, it will be Brian exploding.........

:D :lol: :D :lol:

Posted: 04 Feb 2018, 16:08
by Geoff Pearce
What is the covering? Of the wing

Posted: 04 Feb 2018, 17:19
by Barry_Cole
Geoff Pearce wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 16:08 What is the covering? Of the wing
A wing bag?????

BC

Posted: 04 Feb 2018, 21:27
by alexis scott
Geoff Pearce wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 16:08 What is the covering? Of the wing
Bemsilk or acetate suit lining put on with dope, really tough and I'm happy with the finish so far

Posted: 22 Feb 2018, 02:33
by alexis scott
Work been holding progress up a little but Tailplane and ruddee now has colour

Posted: 14 Mar 2018, 14:31
by alexis scott
Now its time for filling sanding and repeat, all glassed up, ready to get into the home stretch, Finally

Posted: 18 Mar 2018, 01:45
by alexis scott
Thanks to a great mate who printed me a new head my pilot has completed gender reassignment

Posted: 19 Mar 2018, 08:27
by alexis scott
Today was spent taping filling and sanding the join in between the honeydo jobs, starting to look the part I think

Posted: 10 Apr 2018, 14:42
by alexis scott
Quick progress shot with my girls today, hopefully I can get serious with paint over the weekend

Posted: 22 Apr 2018, 02:56
by alexis scott
The final pre aint jobs continue, last night I started running all the wiring through and did the final set up of elevaor drives, I've made brass tube inserts for the connection between the pushrods end and elevator horns so now when I assemble the tail I can drop the new brass tube horn ends into the aluminialuminium pushrod ends and secure with a screw through both, I also rebuilt the rudder drive with a double ball on the idler bellcrank which has removed all slop and improved the geometry of that somewhat, the rear of the fuselage is now all programmed and working I have had the wings all working but will be doing another final hook up and test of flaps and ailerons before paint now that the hinging is all permanently attached, I've settled on ,in the cavity under the wing as the perfect spot for the receiver so the extension leads all are set up to go up to there including doubled up power wiring from the Front mounted battery tray.

Posted: 22 Apr 2018, 08:26
by john greenfield
Looks like you are getting close to the finish line Alexis, nearly ready to test fly.......Do I need to book an airline ticket to come over to Oz ???!

AEB

Posted: 22 Apr 2018, 08:49
by alexis scott
Always good to see you down under John, I'm hoping it will be ready for the SSL Milang aerotow at the end of may, it's very close to flyable now so should make it

Posted: 02 May 2018, 07:04
by alexis scott
Started paint now, wings and fuselage are white now and rudder and tailplane have their blue, started masking nose scallop this morning , will possibly get the blue on fuselage tonight think this wing picture is only after first coat colour looking pretty solid now

Posted: 02 May 2018, 08:14
by john greenfield
Looking good Alexis.
Have you any idea of the final weight yet ?

AEB

Posted: 02 May 2018, 08:55
by alexis scott
Under 23kg is looking like the current estimation based on prepaint weights

Posted: 03 May 2018, 03:58
by alexis scott
Pre work progress this morning

Posted: 03 May 2018, 20:30
by Geoff Pearce
Looking really nice, paint job 1st class.
Look forward to seeing it at an event

Geoff

Posted: 04 May 2018, 13:38
by alexis scott
Geoff Pearce wrote: 03 May 2018, 20:30 Looking really nice, paint job 1st class.
Look forward to seeing it at an event

Geoff
Thanks Geoff hoping I can get to some events now too

Posted: 05 May 2018, 06:39
by alexis scott
Hiesenberg

Well my pilot was printed from a file that is definitely Patrick Stuart, but obviously my painting has altered him a little and so many have commented that he looks like Walter White? As a fan of the show, I couldn't resist helping that idea along and last night I needed a diversion from painting, and so set to after work with needle and thread and a piece of felt fabric and here's the result.

Posted: 10 May 2018, 08:20
by Simon WS
That's brilliant! Just need a small baggie with some blue crystals in it!...

Simon

Posted: 10 May 2018, 10:39
by alexis scott
Lol on the blue crystals perhaps when I attach smokers eventually they should be blue,
Simon WS wrote: 10 May 2018, 08:20 That's brilliant! Just need a small baggie with some blue crystals in it!...

Simon
Cliff Evans wrote: 10 May 2018, 08:41 Have you got the print file?
I'm fairly certain it's a thingyverse file,

Posted: 15 May 2018, 08:36
by alexis scott
Canopy fitted

Posted: 17 May 2018, 15:07
by alexis scott
Lots of progress since the last post

Posted: 17 May 2018, 16:27
by chris williams
Looking nice, Alex...

Posted: 17 May 2018, 16:45
by alexis scott
chris williams wrote: 17 May 2018, 16:27 Looking nice, Alex...
Thankyou Chris means a lot coming from you,

Posted: 22 May 2018, 12:27
by alexis scott
Today was a big day, first complete assemble and test of all functions, very minor issue with the bolts that retain the rear half of the fuselage but other than that I fairly happy

Posted: 22 May 2018, 16:15
by Barry_Cole
Looks good Alexis, but there is a crack half way down the Fuz....

Now you have to fly it. Hand launch first, I guess.

;) ;) ;) ;)

BC

Posted: 22 May 2018, 21:42
by alexis scott
Now hand launching this would be a job for Swarzeneger I'd say
Barry_Cole wrote: 22 May 2018, 16:15 Looks good Alexis, but there is a crack half way down the Fuz....

Now you have to fly it. Hand launch first, I guess.

;) ;) ;) ;)

BC

Posted: 24 May 2018, 07:01
by Simon WS
That is literally a "huge" achievement!

Simon

Posted: 21 Jun 2018, 23:45
by alexis scott
2 more sleeps for me and we shall see how she goes, I have tug pilot and large model inspector booked so Sunday is the day, I'll post results of the day for sure

Posted: 25 Jun 2018, 11:28
by alexis scott
She flies, I'm over the moon, crisp response to all flight controls, cog seems very close only a couple clicks of aileron trim, I'll make a video once I have something to work with, here's a couple pictures of the big day for now. Little side note , it all fits in a vw polo

Posted: 25 Jun 2018, 11:44
by chris williams
Congrats, Alex...where did you fly her?

Posted: 25 Jun 2018, 14:21
by alexis scott
chris williams wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 11:44 Congrats, Alex...where did you fly her?
Thanks Chris Test flight was at a field about an hour east of the City at monarto, which is roughly 20 minutes from home for me,I'm trying to edit video to share but my editing skills are pretty rough

Posted: 26 Jun 2018, 04:04
by alexis scott
Couple in flight shots while the video is uploading

Posted: 26 Jun 2018, 05:20
by alexis scott
Cant remember if this will work but here goes,

Posted: 30 Jun 2018, 15:38
by alexis scott
And then we have the pilots view of how it went,

Posted: 02 Jul 2018, 17:49
by Simon WS
Great stuff Alexis. I love the working joystick from the internal view.

It looks like it flies rather quickly - was that deliberate or it's natural speed?

Congrats

Simon

Posted: 03 Jul 2018, 23:40
by alexis scott
Simon WS wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 17:49 Great stuff Alexis. I love the working joystick from the internal view.

It looks like it flies rather quickly - was that deliberate or it's natural speed?

Congrats

Simon
Congrats

Simon
[/quote]
Thanks, The stick and pilot animation are still works in progress but im happy so far, as for the speed, it will need more testing of the stall behavior before I'll go to the slower end of the envelope, certainly at no point even a couple points during the tow that looked very slow from the ground did control authority feel like it was mushy so I guess the trim at the moment is a little quick but its safe for now, remembering that this is an aerobatic glider that will need to maintain momentum to fly a good routine.
Regards,
Alexis