Page 1 of 1

Re: New frsky rx

Posted: 20 Sep 2017, 16:22
by Barry_Cole
I have asked Frsky, and yes, where did you get it??

BC

Posted: 21 Sep 2017, 12:16
by Barry_Cole
MarkDev wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 13:32 I've got my hands on a new GRX8 RX,with the vario built in, the Smart port also acts as a 'AIN2' port. I would guess its a power supply port if no other sensor is being used which seems illogical (to me at least), anyone want to have a guess? There is no mention elsewhere.
This from Frsky:-
Hello Barry, the AIN2 is analog port, such as connect with old FBVS to detect external battery pack voltage.

So now you know.

BC

Posted: 21 Sep 2017, 15:39
by Barry_Cole
Mine should arrive tomorrow. I will check then.

BC

Posted: 22 Sep 2017, 14:59
by Barry_Cole
Mark,
I get that line too. Reading about 115. I have asked the oracle what it is. May not get an answer till Monday.

BC

Posted: 25 Sep 2017, 13:08
by Barry_Cole
So, the oracle has replied.

"You can ignore the F000, this is our test data."

So, ignore or delete the line. It may be removed in later units.

At least I can get a reply from Frsky, and that is more than can be said for Multiplex these days.

BC.

Posted: 25 Sep 2017, 23:13
by FrankS
[quote=Barry_Cole post_id=14547 time=1506341325 user_id=51]

At least I can get a reply from Frsky, and that is more than can be said for Multiplex these days.

BC.
[/quote]

Have you tried their technical forum, they generally respond pretty quick.

Posted: 26 Sep 2017, 12:10
by Tony Woods
Barry,
I still have a very nice Graupner hott Transmitter for sale. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Posted: 26 Sep 2017, 12:14
by Barry_Cole
Tony Woods wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 12:10 Barry,
I still have a very nice Graupner hott Transmitter for sale. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If it had been a Taranis, you would have sold it by now.....

:D :D :D :D

BC

Posted: 26 Sep 2017, 15:58
by SP250
No they don't!
Some of us are happy with what we have already got!

John M

Posted: 26 Sep 2017, 16:13
by Tony Woods
John M,
Quite right,You don't see people on line trying to find out how to make their Graupner transmitters work they work. :D

Tony.

Posted: 27 Sep 2017, 00:26
by chris williams
Oh Barry, you really are quite the fisherman... ;)

Posted: 28 Sep 2017, 15:59
by Andrew Ray
I have just had a couple of these G-RX8 receivers turn up today and noticed that the unshielded end of the aerial is 23mm whereas on my other FrSky receivers, X8R, S6R, S8R and V8R7-II the unshielded length is 32mm. A quick search shows the length should be from 29mm to 32mm.

I am a little concerned as presumably this will reduce sensitivity and thus range, does anyone know different?

Posted: 28 Sep 2017, 16:45
by Peter Balcombe
The antennae are almost certainly intended to be 1/4 wavelength & this is 31.5mm at 2.4GHz.
Thus the 32mm length is probably correct and the 23mm ones wrongly cut (unless FrSky have a corresponding matching circuit inside the receiver).
Best to check with FrSky & see if a replacement is needed.

Posted: 28 Sep 2017, 17:15
by Barry_Cole
I have asked, but they are on Hols next week, so it may take a while.

;) ;) ;) ;)

BC

Posted: 28 Sep 2017, 17:57
by Andrew Ray
Thanks for the replies, seems patience will be the order of the day.

Posted: 29 Sep 2017, 08:29
by Barry_Cole
It seems that the shorter aerials are good. This received this morning:-

Barry, do not worry, it is not problem. The antenna is correct, after strict testing and is matched to the hardware for best length.

So there we go then.

:) :) :) :)

BC

Posted: 29 Sep 2017, 16:39
by Andrew Ray
Thanks Barry :D

Posted: 16 Oct 2017, 19:50
by Barry_Cole
Mark,
The 9mS frame rate is only safe for digital servos, there is a firmware update for 18mS for analogue servos

BC

Posted: 16 Oct 2017, 20:44
by Barry_Cole
Yes, and no in that order.

You are welcome to visit, but leave it till next week, as I have some dreaded lergy at present.

:( :( :( :(

BC

Posted: 16 Oct 2017, 23:50
by RobbieB
You have a virus and you're on the net........!!

Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 09:24
by Barry_Cole
MarkDev wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 22:58 Yuk! May your germs be little ones.......

M
If these are the little ones, I would not like to meet the big ones.

BC

Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 09:26
by Barry_Cole
RobbieB wrote: 16 Oct 2017, 23:50 You have a virus and you're on the net........!!
Yes, I trust all your Computer equipment have had their flu jabs....

BC

Posted: 17 Oct 2017, 22:13
by Andrew Ray
[quote=MarkDev post_id=14977 time=1508178902 user_id=267]
How's everyone getting on with the faster frame rate setting on this rx?

M
[/quote]

Not found the time to do the update yet. Works fine with digital servos but I didn't realise what the problem was until Barry kindly messaged me otherwise I may well have tried to return these receivers....... and of course the one model I want to use first has analogue servos!!

Life used to be so much simpler with 6 (I think) single colour crystals, splits if you dare, simple servo choice, deacs and a pennant on the end of the aerial to tell you which way the wind was blowing.......

Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 12:01
by Barry_Cole
MarkDev wrote: 18 Oct 2017, 09:57 You've passed it to me now, sniff, sniff!!

I have one vario sensor that gives a constant beep, has that got a cold.......?
Varios do not beep. All beeps are Tx generated. Have you got silent centre turned on??

BC

Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 16:58
by Barry_Cole
MarkDev wrote: 18 Oct 2017, 16:05 Barry, While I was in that glider page I saw that one of my X series rx is also running at 9m/s on 1-8 channels, fortunately I have digital servos in that one. This is one of the X series rx that you flashed with EU LBT last year. I'll check the others just to be sure.
As I used your downloaded software yours might be the same?
M
Mark, That is not the same issue, what you see on the Tx is 9mS for up to 8 Ch, and over 8 at 18mS, that is the transmission rate.

The bit that we are interested in is the rate that each servo is updated, and for the X series it is 18Ms, so panic not, little seaside dweller.

Life was much easier when we did not know what was going on.

BC

Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 19:02
by Barry_Cole
Roberto Alonso wrote: 18 Oct 2017, 17:46 So that means I’ll have to update the firmware on my receiver to use with analog servos, or…?

Gee. Not even 50 and already too old for this.
Which receiver Roberto??

BC

Posted: 18 Oct 2017, 21:53
by Elliot Howells
chaps, having trouble getting my G-rx8 to bind (it worked first time and went blue) now all I get is either a solid red light or a flashing red light and no bind either way.

Tried other x series receivers with success, flashed the firmware on frsky's advice - any thoughts?

Cheers, Ell.

Posted: 19 Oct 2017, 08:55
by Barry_Cole
Elliot,
I have sent you an e-mail.

BC

Posted: 19 Oct 2017, 10:05
by Tony Woods
Barry,
Did I tell you that I have a nice Graupner Hott Transmitter and Receiver which works all of the time and plays nice tunes as well.
For Sale at £225 with 2 x 12 ch Receivers. You just turn it on and go flying.

Hope that you have got over your frsky Virus. ;)

Posted: 19 Oct 2017, 13:54
by Barry_Cole
The Wookie will remain silent and aloof.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BC

Posted: 19 Oct 2017, 15:39
by Tony Woods
I think that the frsky Virus is still attacking him. :mrgreen:

Posted: 19 Oct 2017, 21:56
by Elliot Howells
To be fair to Frsky, their rx's are generally superb and a third of the price of the Jeti equivalent (which are superb).

You pays yer money...

Ell.

Posted: 20 Oct 2017, 09:29
by Barry_Cole
Elliot Howells wrote: 18 Oct 2017, 21:53 chaps, having trouble getting my G-rx8 to bind (it worked first time and went blue) now all I get is either a solid red light or a flashing red light and no bind either way.

Tried other x series receivers with success, flashed the firmware on frsky's advice - any thoughts?

Cheers, Ell.
Hi Elliot. Nice video.
Try holding the bind button down!!!!!

You need to jumper 1 & 2 for 8 Ch operation.

BC

Posted: 20 Oct 2017, 16:30
by Barry_Cole
Roberto,
Yes that is the way it is at present.

It's easy to do the update. Which Tx are you using??

Where would you buy the Rx from??

BC

Posted: 22 Oct 2017, 12:38
by Barry_Cole
Roberto Alonso wrote: 22 Oct 2017, 10:29 So, now that we’re re-flashing receivers: is it possible to re-flash a non-EU X8R to the correct EU version, and/or viceversa, with full confidence? I’ve read rumors on RCG about problems doing so. I don’t need to do this now, but I’m positive that sooner or later I’ll end up inadvertently buying the wrong version.
Roberto,
Yes it is possible, with no problems. The hardware is identical in EU and NON EU receivers. Same goes for the Transmitters.

BC

Posted: 23 Oct 2017, 17:35
by Weds
[quote="Roberto Alonso" post_id=15143 time=1508664551 user_id=1151]
So, now that we’re re-flashing receivers: is it possible to re-flash a non-EU X8R to the correct EU version, and/or viceversa, with full confidence? I’ve read rumors on RCG about problems doing so. I don’t need to do this now, but I’m positive that sooner or later I’ll end up inadvertently buying the wrong version.
[/quote]

I thought it was possible to flash non EU to EU but not the other way round as the EU Rx's have been locked..

Posted: 23 Oct 2017, 19:11
by Barry_Cole
I thought it was possible to flash non EU to EU but not the other way round as the EU Rx's have been locked..

No, all receivers are able to be re-flashed. There was talk that the EU Txs may be locked, but this has not happened. (As far as I know)

BC

Posted: 29 Nov 2017, 17:34
by Andrew Ray
I don't think I'm having much luck flashing this, I have downloaded the latest firmware which defaults to 18ms but the servos move in minute but noticeable steps and the esc doesn't work (I have refitted the original X8R and it all works perfectly). I jumped the two signal pins at ch5 and ch6 to set 9ms just to see if there was any difference, there wasn't. I am doing the update through the transmitter and I have heard that it is recommended to update via the STK tool, unfortunately mine doesn't seem to work consistently so I have ordered another.

Any ideas? I do need 18ms on this receiver as the glider is fitted with analogue servos.

Posted: 29 Nov 2017, 19:12
by Barry_Cole
Andrew, E-mail sent.

Mark, Nice to see you anytime. Give me a ring..

BC

Posted: 29 Nov 2017, 21:19
by Andrew Ray
Mark, MikeB on OpenRC has developed a program he calls Sport Set that should work with Mac, I didn't persevere with it as I thought it would be easier to partition the disc and install Windows on my MacBook.

I have a FrUSB-3 that seems to work consistently and will upgrade the firmware on all but the G-RX8. The STK tool I have only seems to work occasionally so I ordered a new one from T9 today. I have also been able to upgrade using the tx which I find easier and indicates that the G-XR8 has upgraded correctly but......

Barry, I'm going to see if there is any difference when the new STK tool arrives, hopefully tomorrow.

Posted: 29 Nov 2017, 23:12
by Andrew Ray
Sorted!

I hadn't realised that it was in sbus mode, I rebound with the jumper between ch1 and ch2 to set PWM mode and that fixed it. The esc arms and works correctly and the servo travel is nice and smooth.

Posted: 09 Dec 2017, 18:21
by Andrew Ray
Hi Mark, it's at http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=sportset

Unfortunately I've realised I was thinking of something else, sportset is for calibration for the S6R gyros. My grey matter is getting a bit fuddled as I have been in the process of updating the firmware of my receivers to EU LBT, calibrating the S6R, setting this G-RX8 up, updating my tx to use the iRangeX 4 in 1 module and getting the update tool for the UMX AS3X receivers to work. None of it works seamlessly and is somewhat of a challenge, I'd rather bash balsa.

I have find the easiest way to update the FrSky receivers is to use the tx, the firmware can be downloaded onto your Mac from FrSky and then the folders copied onto the SD card (it can't be opened on my Mac but doesn't need to be, just un-zipped). FrSky have a tutorial and the basics are the same https://www.frsky-rc.com/how-to-use-the ... -receiver/

Apologies for the duff gen.

Posted: 11 Dec 2017, 21:45
by Weds
I've just had a Frsky G-RX8 Rx replaced due to it loosing the output on channel 1, the new Rx has a label on the back of the packaging that says do NOT reverse the signal pin and ground pin on the servo plug. So make sure you plug the leads in the right way round. Without a case and the notches for the futaba plugs extra care is required..

I suspect they have had a few returns...