Page 1 of 1

Re: Who's building what for 2018

Posted: 09 Dec 2017, 02:20
by Tom Pack
Now you’re talking......1/2 scale is the future!

Posted: 09 Dec 2017, 09:17
by Geoff Pearce
Still building my 1/2 scale ORLIC, covering bits at the back end, want to fix servos ect and test before covering fuzz
Has any body used tig welding wire for rudder control?
1/2 scale pilot done ,,,

Posted: 09 Dec 2017, 13:55
by SP250
Geoff

Be interested to see how you created your 1/2 scale pilot, as I need to do one for next year.
Would think that Tig wire is not as good as piano wire for your controls, but that's just a guess.

John M

Posted: 09 Dec 2017, 15:11
by Geoff Pearce
SP250 wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 13:55 Geoff

Be interested to see how you created your 1/2 scale pilot, as I need to do one for next year.
Would think that Tig wire is not as good as piano wire for your controls, but that's just a guess.

John M
Hi John,
1st scale me down , head hands and feet.
2nd 1year old kids cloths , about 48% , fill with shaped foam.
Paint head ect. Simples!

Posted: 09 Dec 2017, 17:28
by roo Hawkins
I am looking at various projects. but will be starting some time in Autumn of 2018. I need a bit of a rest after the fox and asw 27 build. so far it maybe a 1/3 asg 29 with carbon wing or maybe a szd cobra .

Posted: 09 Dec 2017, 22:27
by GeeW
Starting to draw up plans for a Scanlan 1 about my third attempt at this. Not sure which version of the wing to go with at the moment though.

Gordon

Posted: 10 Dec 2017, 09:26
by Geoff Pearce
roo Hawkins wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 17:28 I am looking at various projects. but will be starting some time in Autumn of 2018. I need a bit of a rest after the fox and asw 27 build. so far it maybe a 1/3 asg 29 with carbon wing or maybe a szd cobra .
Shame When u get older, need the rest

Quack, quack

Posted: 04 Jan 2018, 08:23
by WilliamH
I've started a 1/3 scale Swallow. A very happy new year to all, and good flying.

Posted: 09 Jan 2018, 15:28
by B Sharp
I have been amusing myself for the last week or so by building a 1/4 scale retract from the plans available on this website. It all went better than I expected and, after a little tinkering and fettling, it seems to work perfectly. It is yonks since I last did any proper "engineering" so I was quite surprised and gratified. Now all I need is a model to attach to it.
Brian. :)

Posted: 09 Jan 2018, 18:28
by Peter Balcombe
Where did you find the plans Brian?
Was it in one of the threads, or in the hints & tips section as I haven’t spotted it yet.

Posted: 09 Jan 2018, 19:20
by B Sharp
Sorry Peter, I have looked again and can't find it. I do remembered that I downloaded it in .pdf form some time ago and I just printed up the file I had in the PC. If you want a copy I would be happy to send that to your email address.

Posted: 09 Jan 2018, 19:32
by Barry_Cole
Brian,
If you e-mail me the pdf file, I will put it here somewhere, or get Cliff to add it to the web site.

BC

Posted: 09 Jan 2018, 21:04
by Mick Tomlin
Attached hopefully is a PDF of the plans
Mick

Posted: 09 Jan 2018, 22:13
by B Sharp
Yes, that's the plans that I used. You beat me to it Mick.
Builders should be aware that the aluminium rocker on sheet 4 will require a little more profiling than is shown on the plan in order to clear the undercarriage leg frame.

Posted: 13 Jan 2018, 13:04
by SP250
Hoping to finish off a Chris Williams 1/4 scale Bergfalke II 55 and also an S2G Ka6e.
Pretty much just the covering and paint/markings to do on both as all the construction is done.

John M

Posted: 15 Jan 2018, 08:32
by john greenfield
You ask and I respond.

In the UK, any model that will weigh more than 20kg ready to fly is required to be inspected during construction and on completion to carry out a number of test flights in front of an approved person. The CAA has appointed the Large Model Association to carry out this function on their behalf.
In addition to the inspection and flight test requirements, the CAA also require redundancy in the model. This can normally be achieved by fitting 2 receivers and dual batteries and ensuring that the flight controls are split between the 2 receivers so that in the event of a receiver or power failure, the other can control the model to a safe arrival. There are of course lots of other fancy (and expensive) ways of achieving this so it is best to discuss this with your inspector to find solutions that works for you and your model
The whole inspection process is quite painless as all inspectors are very experienced modelers with a wealth of knowledge who can help bring any project to a successful conclusion and if you join the LMA the whole inspection process is free.
I have not seen the plans of the PWS101 but consider it highly likely that it will be over 20kg. As an example, my 1/2 scale Orlik (plans of which are available from this site) comes in at around 28kg and is of similar size to the PWS101.

Happy building

AEB

Posted: 15 Jan 2018, 17:10
by Andrew Ray
Hoping to finish my Cliff Charlesworth K18 for the spring. I have taken the liberty of mounting a motor to the front with an extended shaft so I can remove the motor and it won't show. Forward fuselage is glassed, rear fuselage and flying surfaces are doped nylon, waiting for warmer weather and for me to decide how to apply the paint.

Posted: 15 Jan 2018, 20:28
by Barry_Cole
No not Tut, Tut, it's an electric motor....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC

Posted: 16 Jan 2018, 01:19
by Jilles
Re Designer notes on the 1/2 scale PWS101
Work on the design is making progress. Because of the large scale a lot of time is going into some details to make it safe and redundant.
As already mentioned by others the electronic gear has to be redundant. There will be two (2) servo's in tandem for the rudder. two(2) servo's will go in the Horizontal stab, a servo for each elevator halve.
Central wing connections will be with steel brackets and pins/bolts. the overall weight will be towards the 30 kg, what for the size is not too heavy.
A light weight on this size would not make it fly properly.
Attached are some fuselage pictures generated from the computer model. The Fuselage design is complete. The computer weight of the fuselage as shown is 5 kg including the planking not shown for clarity but excluding glue, epoxy, paint and nose ballast.
I hope to have this design project ready by April at the latest. I built and fly models myself so I have to divide my time over all these activities including family and model club duties like registrar and field maintenance guy.
Who said being retired give you plenty of spare time

Cheers Jilles Smits

Posted: 16 Jan 2018, 17:33
by Geoff Pearce
That should look very nice when built

Posted: 18 Jan 2018, 08:18
by john greenfield
Hi Jilles

What are you proposing for the fuselage and wing sheeting? At the size you are designing the model at, balsa is not a good choice as it is too easily damaged. Ply is the obvious choice, in a variety of thicknesses depending on the load on the structure at any given point. If proposing ply you will need to think about how the sheeting will be applied to ensure sufficient gluing area to the structure, especially the fuselage formers.

AEB

Posted: 20 Jan 2018, 05:34
by Jilles
The fuselage of the PWS-101 does not have straight lines . Any planking has to be done in strip form. On can use ply from say 0.6mm at the tail to 0.8 mm at the front. I propose 3 mm strip balsa sanded smooth then glassed with 80gr/m2 glass cloth and resin
I did this on my 1/3 scale ASW15B and is very strong. It survived a very hard landing.
The wings are to be planked with 0.4 mm plywood on the D-box and 0.4 mm ply rib cap strips.

Posted: 21 Jan 2018, 11:07
by john greenfield
Jilles

Unless your former spacing is very close (much closer than the prototype drawings I have seen), I can't recommend 1/8" balsa even if it is glassed. Much better to use ply and put it on in panels the same as the full size. This will make a much more rigid structure and much more "ding" proof.
I can't recommend 0.4mm ply on the wings. With the size and weight of each part of the wing handling it will be almost impossible without putting your fingers through 0.4mm ply (This is the voice of experience speaking !) Also there will not be enough torsional rigidity in 0.4mm ply. I strongly suggest 0.6mm as a min and my preferred solution is to use 0.8mm for the first third of the span and then 0.6mm for the remainder.
At 1/2 scale and with all the loads and stresses on the airframe ALL ply joints in the wing must be scarf joints.

Obviously, your design and nothing above is meant as a criticism but structurally going up from 1/3 to 1/2scale is a big step.

AEB

Posted: 22 Jan 2018, 22:47
by Jilles
Hi John
Any suggestions on half scale design are welcome. In the end I supply the basic details. Any builder that wants to take on this project can make modifications to his or her preferences. I understand that in the UK with models over 20kg you need inspections during the building process.

Posted: 24 Jan 2018, 11:40
by Andrew Ray
After posting in the topic 'Future Pans' and suggesting a 1/4 scale Jantar 1 I remembered that I have a Mike Trew Jantar 1 plan, RG Glass fuselage and foam wings I bought from 'Foam wings' in Scotland some 10 years ago. The model is about 1/5 scale at 145" span.

The Jantar 1 was equipped with flaps and used the upper surface skin as a hinge which allowed for sufficient movement for reflex and positive camber, I am not going to fit flaps and thus there is no need to present the illusion of flaps with a hinge line. All helps to keep it simple.

I have made a start on this with the basic tailplane constructed, parts cut for the rudder and top and bottom airbrakes.

It would still be nice to have a 1/4 scale one though ;) .

Posted: 24 Jan 2018, 16:34
by roo Hawkins
hi andrew one of the first scratch built gliders I built was a 1/4 scale janter 1 at 4.8 span. it is I think one of the best flying gliders I have built. i have just about to revamp it new covering and paint. I do have flaps on it . I whould recommend you to build one please do a thread if you do. a you tube link of it flying ROO :D :D

Posted: 15 Feb 2018, 17:15
by chris williams
Back in business...! Had so much fun with the little Wolf, it seems only polite to build her a larger sister...This time to 1/5th

Posted: 15 Feb 2018, 19:49
by Barry_Cole
That's going to make the Wot 4 struggle.

So the Balsa ban is over then??

:D :D :D :D

BC

Posted: 17 Feb 2018, 10:02
by chris williams
Cruisin' for a maiden...Motley's TG 2. (Should be finished before the weekend is over)

Posted: 17 Feb 2018, 12:56
by patte de loup
What's the scale of this pretty ?
I love this colorfull glider ;)

Posted: 17 Feb 2018, 17:22
by geoff_crew
I've scaled her up from a 1/5 scale plan to 1.35. Started it late December and hope to complete her by the end of March providing nothing else gets in the way (which would be a miracle) but we live in hope. CW kindly drafted an HQ rib section for me to flounder around with, but still lots to do :)

Cheers Geoff ;)

Posted: 05 Mar 2018, 10:15
by WilliamH
Progress on the 1/3 Swallow

Posted: 05 Mar 2018, 12:23
by Andrew Ray
roo Hawkins wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 16:34 hi andrew one of the first scratch built gliders I built was a 1/4 scale janter 1 at 4.8 span. it is I think one of the best flying gliders I have built. i have just about to revamp it new covering and paint. I do have flaps on it . I whould recommend you to build one please do a thread if you do. a you tube link of it flying ROO :D :D
Hi ROO, sorry I haven't replied sooner, I sort of visit the forum in fits and bursts. Unfortunately I am not organised enough to post a build thread. But my Mike Trew Jantar is coming on well, the tail is all but done and the spars are built ready to fit to the foam cores.

I am quite pleased with the tail linkage, the original fuselage has snakes built in, fine for the rudder but the elevator snake has to go through an S bend. The obvious solution was to fit a servo in the tail, I have had to extend the height of the fin as it is short compared to the plan, this allowed the servo arm with a pin fitted to just fit under the tailplane so that a ball link can drop onto the pin and is held in place by the tailplane. The big advantage of having the pin close in to the centre of the servo arm is that I am using 100% travel (FrSky, 125% travel with other radios), mechanically preferred to reducing servo travel. I have also made the rudder removable so that if I ever need access to the servo the task is somewhat simplified.

I will post some pictures once the spars are in and I can rig the model, may be a while though.

IMG_5855.jpg
IMG_5854.jpg

Posted: 08 Mar 2018, 12:35
by chris williams
5th scale Wolf airframe now pretty much complete...

Posted: 08 Mar 2018, 20:40
by Barry_Cole
And now for the bit you have been looking forwards to for all these weeks.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC

Posted: 21 Mar 2018, 22:09
by chris williams
Managed to successfully maiden the Wolf today at CMFC. (Couldn't get to White Sheet because of the snow!)
Thanks to Smallpiece for the tows, and No 1 cameraman Motley for the pics...

Posted: 21 Mar 2018, 22:33
by B Sharp
Very pretty Chris!

Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 06:43
by Pete Marsden
Having been away for a while I've cleared my loft and found this lot!
Not sure which ones will be built/refurbished this year but definitely my Jantar(s)

Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 07:02
by Pete Marsden
Forgot the pickie!

Posted: 22 Mar 2018, 08:44
by Barry_Cole
That should keep you quiet for the next 6 months.

BC

Posted: 28 Mar 2018, 21:40
by chris williams
Mott's TG2 proceedeth...

Posted: 06 Apr 2018, 10:25
by Pete Marsden
Just maidenend my scratch built 1/5th(ish) Jantar 2b.
4.1m span, 3kg all up weight including motor and 4 cell lipo.
Turned out to be nose heavy (need a smaller battery) but otherwise flew like a homesick angel so I'm very pleased.

Posted: 06 Apr 2018, 13:07
by Barry_Cole
I am sure these policemen would be better using their time to sort out real crime.....

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC

Posted: 06 Apr 2018, 13:48
by Barry_Cole
Scale Police wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 13:30
Barry_Cole wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 13:07 I am sure these policemen would be better using their time to sort out real crime.....

BC
A crime is a crime!
Then who is Miss Demeena......

:? :? :? :?

BC

Posted: 06 Apr 2018, 15:05
by chris williams
Then who is Miss Demeena......

Miss Creant's second cousin...

Posted: 06 Apr 2018, 17:21
by John Vella
Scale Police wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 13:30
Barry_Cole wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 13:07 I am sure these policemen would be better using their time to sort out real crime.....

BC
A crime is a crime!
Surely the real crime is the JANTAR 2B has a low tailplane.

Posted: 06 Apr 2018, 18:29
by John Vella
Sorry no I have retired.

Posted: 07 Apr 2018, 11:17
by B Sharp
Got it wrong once again Chris. Everyone knows that "Miss Demeanour" is a Hawker Hunter with the most glorious rainbow colour scheme. Tut, Tut, Tut.
Brian :x

Posted: 07 Apr 2018, 12:29
by Pete Marsden
Actually I agree!
However this model was built specifically for dolly launching at my local flat field site hence the low weight. (It's 4 miles away - the nearest decent slope is closer 50).
It was not designed to tear up and down the slope at mach-3!
You'll be pleased to hear my other Jantars are 'moustache-free'.
Also, regarding the low or 'T' tail, (you're right the 'b' was wrong but note it's not on the fuz).
SZD originally got rid of the 'T' tail due to cantilever-induced stress cracks at the base of the fin.
They also took the opportunity to move the wing higher up the fuz, change (slightly) the aerofoil and extend the span from 19m to 20.5m and installing flaps.
Following complaints of tail plane damage on field landings, and the new technology in composites they eventually moved the tail back to the 'T' position albeit most commonly on the '2 Standard'. However, I have photos of full size 2's with the 20.5m wings and the T tail. Some of these also had winglets.
These may be specials, I never found out.

Posted: 10 Apr 2018, 18:43
by John Vella
Pete, the Jantar2b as you say had a span of 20.5 m and a lowered tail to the bottom of the fin in cruciform configuration. It was a marked improvement on the rather slow 19m Jantar 1 of which I fly the quarter scale Wanitscheck model. The Jantar Standards were all T tail. My Jantar is just a big thermal soarer flying at 4.5 kg.
Regards John.

Posted: 12 Apr 2018, 22:06
by chris williams
Brian Woodfield has sent some pics of his son John's Minimoa MO2a, built from the free plan on our website

Posted: 16 Apr 2018, 10:22
by Pete Marsden
Hi John,
All too complicated for me! I have a Dutch pal who repairs/restores full-size classic gliders but even he says it's confusing. For example the wing position seems random as does the 'Standard' spec. e.g. He sent me a link to OO-ZDE, a Standard 2 with low tail.
Even Wanitscheck seems to have differences between the 1/5th and 1/4 scale (of which I have several , some of which may be up for sale by year-end).
Anyhows, here's a pickie of my 1/5th Jantar Standard approaching completion - no idea if it's a 1 or 2!

Posted: 17 Apr 2018, 17:27
by B Sharp
This has to be my slowest ever build. Last summer I declared my intension to build an MU28 aerobatic glider to quarter scale. Unfortunately life has got in the way and it is only now that I am starting to make progress again. It was a momentous day today as I finally got on with the fitting of the wing to the fuselage.
With a bit of luck and a following wind it will be finished and flown this year. How embarrassing would it be if the build dragged on into 2019?

Posted: 17 Apr 2018, 22:49
by RobbieB
Brian,

If speed model building ever becomes an Olympic event, and I could well believe it just might, I'm afraid to say you are not even podium material................. :lol:

Posted: 18 Apr 2018, 08:42
by VinceC
Put it down to the "Brexit Effect", everyone else does these days

Posted: 18 Apr 2018, 10:11
by John Vella
Pete Marsden wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 10:22 Hi John,
All too complicated for me! I have a Dutch pal who repairs/restores full-size classic gliders but even he says it's confusing. For example the wing position seems random as does the 'Standard' spec. e.g. He sent me a link to OO-ZDE, a Standard 2 with low tail.
Even Wanitscheck seems to have differences between the 1/5th and 1/4 scale (of which I have several , some of which may be up for sale by year-end).
Anyhows, here's a pickie of my 1/5th Jantar Standard approaching completion - no idea if it's a 1 or 2!
Hi Pete you learn something new every day. I didn't realise SZD did mix their models In those days. Your Jantar Standard fus looks pretty good. I never flew a Jantar , but flew with a nice Jantar Standard at the Long Mynd which sadly met its end in a fatal launch accident a few years ago. Don't sell your Jantar models as they fly so well and have a distinctive look.
Regards John.

Posted: 18 Apr 2018, 21:37
by Jolly Roger
B Sharp wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 17:27 This has to be my slowest ever build. Last summer I declared my intension to build an MU28 aerobatic glider to quarter scale. Unfortunately life has got in the way and it is only now that I am starting to make progress again. It was a momentous day today as I finally got on with the fitting of the wing to the fuselage.
With a bit of luck and a following wind it will be finished and flown this year. How embarrassing would it be if the build dragged on into 2019?
Never mind how long you took Brian - it looks fab! Did you mold the fuselage yourself? Sorry if you've posted previously on this.
Rog

Posted: 18 Apr 2018, 22:21
by B Sharp
Long story Rog. I intended to copy Roos method and created a blue foam plug (just lovely it was). I duely covered it in parcel tape, carbon, glass cloth and epoxy with a final layer of cling film. When the whole mess has set I was left with a rough fuselage shape with a distinct bend and twist. "Oh Bother" I said, before throwing it in a corner in disgust. I finally found a business in Germany who produced a MU28 fuz to 1/4 scale which finally arrived in Feb (but thats a whole other story).
Brian. :( :o :shock: :x :)

Posted: 19 Apr 2018, 22:25
by Antonia
Hi All, been a bit quite of late, we've had a somewhat traumatic start to 2018 in the gigg household, but I have been quietly beavering away. Some of you may know Barry H offered me his ASH 25 at a good price.... how could I refuse!... At Shrivenham I was offered a 18" Elicker up'n'go, so I married the two together and have created a ASH 25 Mi, I did mod the Elicker unit to have a prop catcher rather than have the expensive sensor and sequencer setup, here a few photos Mel took of the ASH when we did the final rig and CofG adjustment.

Posted: 19 Apr 2018, 22:32
by FrankS
Very nice, your're going to need a bigger garden :lol:

Posted: 20 Apr 2018, 02:49
by Tom Pack
Heck ya.....very nice!

Posted: 20 Apr 2018, 07:50
by john greenfield
Ready for Buckminster Antonia ?

AEB

Posted: 20 Apr 2018, 08:33
by Antonia
Hi John,
It will be, just got to finish setting the throws, but we''ll only be able to make the Sunday if it is a super dooper not to be missed day.
We are on holiday with Mel's dad on the Saturday to the Saturday that falls on the first day of the meeting, we are taking him to south Wales, as he is so lonely after Mel's mum died at the beginning of the year and with him being rushed into hospital shortly after as well, it's one of those times when family comes first...

Posted: 20 Apr 2018, 12:43
by eric friend
Hi Antonia, Sorry to hear of your family issues.
However I'm very pleased to see that you've upgraded your '25' activities to the 7 metre version. Have a great first flight. We'll have to get them photographed side by side at one of the meetings.
I've included a few photos of my '25' taken by David Ashby, Editor of the RCM&E, (Thank you David) to whet your appetite for your first flight with your '25'.
The first one is Simon giving all 13+ kilograms the heave-ho on our slope at Thurnham along with a low pass and a landing approach.
If you want to see the video of the maiden flight, just enter 'ASH 25' into Youtube.
ASH 25 Mi - Simon launching.jpg
ASH 25 Mi - Low pass.JPG
ASH 25 Mi - Landing approach.JPG

I've also included one of a full-size '25' on landing approach as some of my flying buddies complained that the anhedral that my model's wing developed on the landing approach wasn't to scale, but here's a photo of the full size 25 on finals to prove that it was!
ASH 25 Mi full size on landing approach - with anhedral.jpg

Posted: 20 Apr 2018, 20:28
by Antonia
Hi Eric, thank you for your kind thoughts.
Thanks for the inspirational photos, she looks stunning in flight, I've got your YouTube maiden flight saved as a favourite, again this has been very inspirational in keeping me going :)
Question time.....
What is your final CofG position, and total weight? Have you used the up'n'go motor yet? If so how does it perform?
It would be great to see you at meet with your ASH 25, we'll definitely be at the first Middle Wallop meeting hope you can make that one.

Posted: 20 Apr 2018, 21:52
by roo Hawkins
Hi the ash looks very nice. Will look forward to seeing it in the flesh. sorry to hear about your loss, look forward to seeing you and Mel soon. Roo

Posted: 21 Apr 2018, 22:49
by eric friend
Hi Antonia,
C of G is 105 mm back from the leading edge and the all up weight is 13.5 kg. It has a large battery load, 4+3 cell 5000 mah Lipos for motor, 2 x 3000 mah NiMh for the receivers and a 2000mah NiMh for the retract, so additional ballast is not necessary.
Bear in mind that I have only flown my 25 from the slope, so the flat field set up may be different.
I haven't yet tried a powered take-off as the club field is still too wet, but once it dries out a bit, I'll be giving it a go.
You'll most probably find that primary steering is best achieved using rudder with minimal aileron input.
Don't go too high on the first aerotow launch, 500 feet max.
To get the 25 back on the ground at our slope, I have found that's best to be high on base leg to keep clear of the trees (not like base leg on my maiden flight!) and then once on finals hang out brake flaps, speed flaps, airbrakes and apply crow, stick the nose down and then flare and land before meeting the downslope - Phew!
As you will be landing in a big open space you'll have the opportunity to enjoy your first landing with your 25. :D
All the best - Eric

Posted: 22 Apr 2018, 23:55
by Antonia
Hi Eric,
Thanks for the info, I read on another forum a figure of 100mm aft of the L/E, that's what I have gone for. Elicker recommend a 10S cell count for the 18x8 prop, like yours my ASH is a battery carrier, I have a 4S + 2S + 4S 5000 mah motor battery setup running through a Jeti 100 amp main switch, to a mezon lite 95 opto esc, with a twin 3S 1000 mah flight batteries running two satellite receivers though a Jeti 200 central box, (a couple of photos attached for clarity)
With sensor to monitor both receiver batteries with alarms set I hope not to repeat the idiot mistake of last year with the 5 metre ASH 25 when the flight batteries drop below critical and dropped out when trying to get it on the ground asap when the alarm went off at 450 + metres, failing completely at 70-80 metres :oops:
With all that and the two pilots this is the first model I've had to put tail weight in, all 135g of it!.. :? even with that I've got a all up weight of 13.080 Kg
I'll be copying the same setup as the 5 mtr ASH 25 for the control mixing just with the H model throws, the landing flap mix is a glorified butterfly so I'll be able to set many permutations as required, but thanks for the heads up.
Hope to see you soon.
Antonia

Posted: 23 Apr 2018, 08:32
by Barry_Cole
Antonia wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 23:55 I hope not to repeat the idiot mistake of last year with the 5 metre ASH 25 when the flight batteries drop below critical and dropped out when trying to get it on the ground asap when the alarm went off at 450 + metres, failing completely at 70-80 metres :oops:
Now I remember !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC

Posted: 23 Apr 2018, 13:05
by Antonia
Barry_Cole wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 08:32
Antonia wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 23:55 I hope not to repeat the idiot mistake of last year with the 5 metre ASH 25 when the flight batteries drop below critical and dropped out when trying to get it on the ground asap when the alarm went off at 450 + metres, failing completely at 70-80 metres :oops:
Now I remember !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC
Another black day in my flying history at MW, not helped (only joking...) by someone mentioning Jeti do a sensor to monitor the flight batteries!... When I get my enthusiasm up it will be trigger's broom part four :?

Posted: 23 Apr 2018, 16:28
by chris williams
The Decal Man cometh...

Posted: 23 Apr 2018, 19:44
by simon_t
Antonia wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 23:55 ...with a twin 3S 1000 mah flight batteries running two satellite receivers though a Jeti 200 central box, (a couple of photos attached for clarity)...

Antonia
Looks lovely Antonia! Eric beat me to the one he has :). Couple of observations (especially considering your issues at MW):
1) Are the flight pack batteries 3S or 2S? 3S will cook the Rx/servos as the CB200 has no regulation. If you are using regulators then you are chucking away a lot of power to drop the voltage down to 6V or so, which brings me to my second observation:
2). 2 x 1000mAh is not much capacity for a large glider with lots of servos etc. I would probably be using a pair of Jeti 4600mAh or 5200mAh LiOn packs to gives plenty of margin (as I use in my 1:3.5 DG600)

I always aim to use no more than half the mAh battery capacity after 2-3 hours of flying, so that even if there are cell issues or battery degradation there is always plenty of margin.

See you at Buckminster?

Simon

Posted: 23 Apr 2018, 20:19
by eric friend
Cracking installation Antonia. It's a tight squeeze trying to get everything in under the two seats isn't it. There's not much of a gap is there?

Yes, I did start off at 100mm CG location but I moved it back to around 105mm which allowed it to get away from the slope better in light conditions. As you can see from the video, I had a little bit of trouble on the first two attempts but moving the main batteries back a few millimetres and removing the pilot, enabled it to finally get away on its maiden.

My up and go has an Axi 4130/16 driving a 14 x 9 four bladed prop drawing about 60 amps thru a Jeti 77 amp esc. I had to go with seven cells as Moto-Calc said it wouldn't get off the ground with six and the motor would burn out with eight! It sounds as your 25 should have a spritely take-off run.

I have telemetry through one of the Futaba 7008SB receivers to monitor both Rx batteries and vario outputs, and a separate telemetry system to monitor motor battery voltage and current being drawn. With all of that going on, I am always pleased to have Simon WS alongside me as co-pilot!

Simon, I hadn't realised that you had been looking at the 25 as well. A local Kent flier had also been after it and when I met him for the first time his opening line was "So you're the a******e who bought that glider!" - I think he was a bit peeved. My retort to him was "The early bird gets the best worm!" as I had sent a text to the seller at 6am after thinking about it for a couple of days. Well I had just survived a serious bout of sepsis (Simon was sure I was going to come out of hospital feet first :lol: ) and so I thought I'd treat myself.

Posted: 24 Apr 2018, 15:15
by Antonia
simon_t wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 19:44
Looks lovely Antonia! Eric beat me to the one he has :). Couple of observations (especially considering your issues at MW):
1) Are the flight pack batteries 3S or 2S? 3S will cook the Rx/servos as the CB200 has no regulation. If you are using regulators then you are chucking away a lot of power to drop the voltage down to 6V or so, which brings me to my second observation:
2). 2 x 1000mAh is not much capacity for a large glider with lots of servos etc. I would probably be using a pair of Jeti 4600mAh or 5200mAh LiOn packs to gives plenty of margin (as I use in my 1:3.5 DG600)
Hi Simon, thanks for your thoughts, the flight batteries are 3S and run through two separate 20A ubecs one for each battery feed to the central box battery input and are set to 6 volts, these are switching ubecs not the inefficient liner type. The choice of 1000 mAh is dictated by the space available and CofG constraights, and there just no room for bigger batteries, and dumping of well over £200 of servos to get LiFe's and high voltage servos is just to expensive to think about :(

The MW loss was my own fault, I had left the batteries on when not flying that day for more than three hours due to the loss of a tow line and me talking to others and forgetting to turn off the aircraft, and I didn't recharge the batteries from the previous day's flying also, the 1000mAh batteries would give more than a weekend of MW flying normally, it was just me being complacent. With all of the above use and well in to more than 40 minutes of flight when the alarm came on indicating my impending doom!... :? it was an accident just waiting to happen!....

The 5 mtr ASH 25 has the same digital servo count as the Hmodel 25, with the MU6 now monitoring the battery voltages and a conservative alarm set , and a spare set of batteries I should be good, but I will be watching the voltages like a hawk!.....

Thanks for the info Eric on your CofG, I'm running out of space to add weight to the tail end at the base of the tailboom under the fin, to move the CofG back to 105mm would take another 43 grams of weight...

I'll wait and see when she starts flying to see if I need a cast lead tailwheel :lol: :lol:

Posted: 24 Apr 2018, 18:53
by simon_t
As you’re running a CB200 it is worth monitoring the capacity consumed in mA from the batteries/ubecs (and displaying it & setting an alarm). It won’t be exactly the same as the actual battery consumption if the ubecs are efficient, but you can correlate with how much you have to put back on charging. As I said in the previous post you really want lots of margin in your Rx capacity vs what you expect to use, as there are lots of variables - these models are just too big, precious and potentially dangerous to take any risk in this area. Btw, the Jeti batteries are really not very big, especially if you remove the plastic mounts. I don’t think you need the voltage headroom that 3S provides - you could get bigger capacity 2S packs.

Simon

Posted: 26 Apr 2018, 08:22
by john greenfield
Antonia

I am with Simon on this one. Larger models consume power much faster than smaller models with the same servo count due to the larger surfaces and air loads. I would change the 3S set up for 2S of bigger capacity if you are short of space.
BTW, my models run 2 x Ombo 3800 li-fe batteries and I drop the voltage through 2 x 30amp diodes on parallel in each line. V small and reliable.

AEB

Posted: 26 Apr 2018, 09:13
by Barry_Cole
Where do you get them from John??

BC

Posted: 26 Apr 2018, 13:52
by Mike F
John
Could you also provide a photo of the cabling arrangement to show how the diodes are connected and insulated.
Thanks
Mike

Posted: 26 Apr 2018, 23:28
by simon_t
Stephen Spittle does the ONBO batteries, and he is just about to put an order in (you can PM him on here, and he is on Facebook as well)- they are excellent, and their LiPos have a good reputation for not puffing, unlike many much more expensive brands. I have a number of 6S LiPos that I use in power models and they have performed well, and are in as new condition after 9 months with not sign of puffing - My overlanders, Thunderpower etc. Have all got some puffing even though they have been operated well below their C rating, and I only ever take about half their capacity out on a flight.

Simon

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 07:36
by Antonia
Hi John,
I have had a look on the ONBO website, I can't see Li-fe batteries, can you point me to the page please, as with your setup with diodes I could lose the ubecs and put their weight towards a better capacity battery setup, thanks.
Antonia

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 08:12
by john greenfield
Antonia

In the UK Steve Spittle is the OMBO man. Give him a call on 07445 879017 or email him on stephen.spittle@yahoo.co.uk. Tell him John sent you !?
OMBO do both li-fe and lipo batteries in all sizes and I have found them to be smaller and lighter than the "cheap" batteries generally on sale in the hobby. This is because they are "A" grade.
Steve sells them direct without lots of "middle man" mark up so they are very competitively priced.

I will do a diag of my diode set up and post soon.

AEB

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 09:36
by john greenfield
Looks very nice Ian.

Where are you going to do the test flights and have you got a tug pilot lined up ?

AEB

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 09:54
by RobbieB
Attached is a typical diode/dual battery installation diagram if it saves John the bother of doing a new drawing.

The drawings show a five cell NiMh pack but is suitable for any battery type providing the receiver and servos are up to the output voltage after the diodes which does of course, vary depending upon the load unlike a commercial battery backer.

The power rating of the diodes should be suitable for each individual installation.
battery_backer.pdf
(45.39 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 09:59
by stephen spittle
Hi Stephen here
I can supply you the drawing later when I get home or I can supply you the cable wired up,as you have to buy from Farnell and unless you spend £30 or over you have to pay postage which starts to make them quite expensive.

stephen

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 10:03
by stephen spittle
Robbie
we use a lot higher amp diode so it drops from 6.6v to 5.9v

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 10:23
by stephen spittle
The thing about ONBO Batteries how it all started was that new batteries me and John were buying even after one or two flights they were puffing up and Hobbyking told me thats what they do, and now they do have in the write ups on there batteries that they will puff up.

So over 6 years ago I found this company and ever since have only ever bought there batteries they are lighter higher powered then other brands and very reliable and last a long time.
John has managed to wear one out after 6 years and the liFe batteries are a big user now in the uk with glider and powered flyers because of there reliability.
and over 6 years I have only ever had one battery faulty as new for one reason or other and they replace with no problem.
any more info you want please get in touch with me either by message or email stephen.spittle@yahoo.co.uk, where I can reply to questions about size, weight or type of connectors and you will some times find that the size of battery you require you could get even higher power for the same size in some cases.
I am now the UK distributor this all happened by mistake, I don't make any money from selling the batteries it just allows me to share the very expensive postage and taxes, that they put on them.

stephen

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 10:23
by stephen spittle
The thing about ONBO Batteries how it all started was that new batteries me and John were buying even after one or two flights they were puffing up and Hobbyking told me thats what they do, and now they do have in the write ups on there batteries that they will puff up.

So over 6 years ago I found this company and ever since have only ever bought there batteries they are lighter higher powered then other brands and very reliable and last a long time.
John has managed to wear one out after 6 years and the liFe batteries are a big user now in the uk with glider and powered flyers because of there reliability.
and over 6 years I have only ever had one battery faulty as new for one reason or other and they replace with no problem.
any more info you want please get in touch with me either by message or email stephen.spittle@yahoo.co.uk, where I can reply to questions about size, weight or type of connectors and you will some times find that the size of battery you require you could get even higher power for the same size in some cases.
I am now the UK distributor this all happened by mistake, I don't make any money from selling the batteries it just allows me to share the very expensive postage and taxes, that they put on them.

stephen

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 10:26
by Peter Balcombe
Schottky Diodes have a much lower forward voltage drop than normal diodes, so although a bit more expensive they will give more headroom and allow you to take more out of the battery/ greater voltage safety factor.
They will also stay cooler as they are dropping less power as waste heat.

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 10:32
by Barry_Cole
Peter, What sort of drop are we talking here.?? I buy Schottky Diodes, and they still drop 1/2 a volt, which is about the same I have measured on any diode.

:? :? :? :? .com

BC

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 10:37
by stephen spittle
we use VS-30CTH03PBF - Fast / Ultrafast Diode, 300 V, 30 A very reliable and you have a double safety if one side breaks down and very little drain at all.
they work out at over £3.50 ea

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 10:50
by Barry_Cole
Well I for one am still confused. The attached data sheet, seems to show a forward voltage drop of 1 volt at 3 amps at 25C. Maybe I am missing something.

Having two 15amp diodes in the one case, is from a "safety " point of view slightly spurious, as if one lets go, you will not find out until the second one lets go. I am sure Spike will correct me if I am wrong here..

Still :? .com

BC

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 11:10
by Peter Balcombe
Stephen,
I don’t think that your device is a Schottky diode as the maximum forward drop is approx twice the typical value.
Check out the STPS30SM80C device as an example. This also has a pair of 15A diodes like the one you mention, but the typical & max values are nearly the same at around 0.7-0.8V at 15A plus. They also cost under £1 each.

Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 11:13
by stephen spittle
will get back to you on that thanks

Posted: 28 Apr 2018, 19:09
by stephen spittle
Barry the reason this diode in our view a very good one to use and is used by a lot of people now fling gliders including John G and others for over 6 years now and have never had one go down yet you don't have to us both sides of the diode but if you did lets say and one of them did go on you surly its better to have a backup of a second diode then just having one diode and that gives up and you have no power and loose your plane, and in most of my plane i have lcd voltage displays that show the voltage after the diode so if one did give up the ghost you would see it on the display so im my eyes more safety you can build in to a plane in the long run sounds good to me.
we normally carry 2 seperate LiFe battery packs with two sets of this diode system , this covers if one battery gives up and if 3 out of the 4 diodes give up, this might seem over the top it says to me how valuable is the plane you are flying to you and do you want to spend weeks or months rebuilding or repairing for the sake of 2 of these diode and two batteries.
this system has been provened in John G's largest gliders and all of our large powered planes yes there is cheaper diodes but not so efficient, the drop over 6.6 volts is only .7 so this gives us a voltage of 5.9 and with the Onbo Life batteries all day flying.

Posted: 28 Apr 2018, 19:21
by stephen spittle
This is just a snippet if the sheet that we think puts it a s a very good one to choose the other diode is a older design which falls behind the new modern diode but of course at the end of the day you pay your money and we all take out chance so if the other diode is good for you keep using it.

DESCRIPTION / APPLICATIONS
300 V series are the state of the art hyperfast recovery
rectifiers designed with optimized performance of forward
voltage drop and hyperfast recovery time.
The planar structure and the platinum doped life time
control, guarantee the best overall performance,
ruggedness and reliability characteristics

Posted: 29 Apr 2018, 08:33
by Barry_Cole
Stephen,
I am not against the use of any diode, and do not have a preference for any one type. I get mine from Maplins. The point that I was making, was that having two for one battery does not essentially make it safer, as you will not know that one has failed until the second one does. Having two batteries each with it's own diode and switch is the way to go for larger models. That way you can do a check each flight, by checking each battery, diode, switch, to make sure that it is working OK. LiFe batteries are good, I tend now to use genuine A123 cells, and make my own packs.

BC

Posted: 29 Apr 2018, 11:41
by stephen spittle
nice one

Posted: 29 Apr 2018, 11:43
by stephen spittle
if anyone want to know more about Onbo Batteries please email me with my new email address dedicated just for that
thanks

stephen.uk.onbo.batteries@gmail.com

Posted: 04 May 2018, 17:21
by chris williams
Motley's Marvellous Maiden... (Yesterday@ CMFC)

Posted: 04 May 2018, 18:08
by Steve Fraquet
Well done Geoff, looks like you've done a fine job on your latest creation..........Chris when are the CMFC going to organise an aerotow day?? I used to really enjoy the scale days at Lords Hill. :D

Posted: 04 May 2018, 18:14
by chris williams
As soon as I can convert the other members to glider guiding... :D

Posted: 05 May 2018, 18:21
by Steve Fraquet
OK Chris.........can't say fairer than that. ;)

Posted: 07 May 2018, 13:32
by chris williams
Steve, if only there was such a thing as a reliable weather forecast...Yesterday was perfect for an aerotow at CMFC. Most of the members were on the beach, so it was just the Gruesome Threesome and a couple of others...

Posted: 07 May 2018, 21:23
by Steve Fraquet
Ah! what bliss!! super photo Chris. Maybe we will get some flying in this year after all. :lol:

Posted: 08 May 2018, 14:14
by John Vella
What a shame to get rid of that lovely elliptical fin and rudder. Scale Police where are you? :shock: :shock:

Posted: 08 May 2018, 14:21
by Tom Pack
54153DA8-1767-4C3D-BE13-37F75FC34003.gif
4AF5EBC9-5067-4CA3-B942-DBB5DDB1E56F.jpeg
The V-Tail is scale......

Posted: 08 May 2018, 15:09
by VinceC
Yes Tom, details halfway down this page on our site

https://scalesoaring.co.uk/VINTAGE/Docu ... kolka.html

Posted: 08 May 2018, 18:51
by John Vella
Sorry Vince, you learn something new every day. The Documentation file is very interesting. I did not know about the SZD-14X Jaskolka M. The test pilot was lucky to survive that structural failure of the back end. The pictures are impressive. I am surprised a TEST PILOT would fly a glider without a chute.
Regards John.

Posted: 09 May 2018, 08:20
by Martin Gough
Not built a model since the age of 12 (now 56) which was a Kiel Kraft Chief so thought I would have a go at
a Cliff Charlesworth DFS Reiher. Nowt like in at the deep end!

Posted: 09 May 2018, 18:17
by Steve Fraquet
Well done Martin......keep us posted with photos please.

Posted: 15 May 2018, 12:06
by chris williams
Wilson's excellent 5th scale pilot fits a treat in Petrel...

Posted: 28 May 2018, 12:26
by Jolly Roger
B Sharp wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 17:27 This has to be my slowest ever build. Last summer I declared my intension to build an MU28 aerobatic glider to quarter scale. Unfortunately life has got in the way and it is only now that I am starting to make progress again. It was a momentous day today as I finally got on with the fitting of the wing to the fuselage.
Hi Brian,
Stumbled across this video that features the Mu 27 and Mu28 (from 9:20 onwards). Just in case you'd not seen it.
Hope the build is going well and best wishes to you and the family. Hope we can both make it to Kirby Thore next year.

Rog

Posted: 28 May 2018, 19:21
by Barry_Cole
Jolly Roger wrote: 28 May 2018, 12:26
Hi Brian,
Stumbled across this video that features the Mu 27 and Mu28 (from 9:20 onwards). Just in case you'd not seen it.
Hope the build is going well and best wishes to you and the family. Hope we can both make it to Kirby Thore next year.

Rog
Video, Wot Video???... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

BC

Posted: 28 May 2018, 22:56
by Jolly Roger

Posted: 29 May 2018, 23:34
by B Sharp
Rog, thanks for the link. I already have the MU28 part of that film on video (that will tell you how old it is) and it was one of the reasons I wanted to build this aeroplane. I loved the way that in rolls the tailplane would follow the wing with a couple of milliseconds of a lag. The build is proceeding, but at a glacial pace at the moment. I am just about to cut the control surfaces from the wing and install the brakes. Hopefully it will be complete before the end of the year.

Posted: 30 May 2018, 15:33
by Martin Gough
Done some work on my Reiher II build. Seem to spend more time thinking than doing at the moment.

Posted: 05 Jun 2018, 11:32
by roo Hawkins
I have been messing around with some foam . A ASH 31 fuz at 1/3 scale . May not start glassing till the end year when more motivated.

Posted: 24 Jun 2018, 19:11
by chris williams
John Gay has produced a very nice open-cockpit version of the Duster...

Posted: 24 Jun 2018, 21:05
by Barry_Cole
No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it. No I must not say it.

BC

Posted: 25 Jun 2018, 21:55
by B Sharp
Goodness! That's a dreadful stutter you have developed Barry.
Brian :D

Posted: 10 Jul 2018, 13:14
by WilliamH
My latest almost ready to cover, the Condor 2A from Martin Simons' plan

Posted: 12 Jul 2018, 08:40
by Paul_Williams
Very nice model of a relatively forgotten type, look forward to seeing photos of the finished thing - and a vid perhaps ?
Paul

Posted: 20 Jul 2018, 12:13
by B Sharp
I have just done the first full assembly and control check on the MU28. Following the balance check I have calculated that I need 402gm of lead in the nose to get the CG where the calculations say it should be. With a bit of luck the maiden flight should be in the next few days, weather permitting.
Brian. :) :) :)

Posted: 20 Jul 2018, 12:48
by chris williams
Not sure about that 2gms, Brian, maybe 403 to be on the safe side ;)

Posted: 20 Jul 2018, 19:56
by B Sharp
Don't worry Chris, I cast the nose weight 100gm light but insert a bolt in the casting. I then cut a couple of 50gm slabs which bolt into place so that I can reduce or increase the nose weight after flying. Cunning, Huh?
Only semi scale Cliff, no retract - only a fixed wheel and fairing. No sustainer however, that would be a step toooo far! :D :D :D :D
Brian. :) :D

Posted: 22 Jul 2018, 21:33
by B Sharp
The MU28 maiden happened this afternoon and I would like to say that it was totally uneventful, but it wasn’t. Launched into a fresh 15mph wind on my home slope it stuck its nose in the air almost to the point of stall. An application of down elevator saw it try to bury itself in the front of the slope. The following 10 minutes saw constant repeats of this behaviour before I eventual managed to get it back on the ground. The CG was waaaaaaaay too far rearward and the flight was almost uncontrollable.
When I got it home, and after changing my soiled undergarments, I checked my measurements and calculations and discovered that the CG was 20mm aft of the rearmost safe position (well I am getting on a bit and the brain is not what it once was). I did the maths again and cut a few lead disks which were bolted into the nose which gave a CG position a full 45mm further forward.
Once back up the hill the MU was now flying about quite happily in the manner that I had expected. Hey Ho, every day is a learning experience!
Brian.

Posted: 22 Jul 2018, 21:45
by chris williams
Hah!...told you to put in that extra gram! Congrats anyway: nice looking model

Posted: 23 Jul 2018, 01:18
by Tom Pack
40% Wilga Tug from Colin Bond plans......
0216E24D-EDA8-4D2B-8B66-5496889B6C1D.jpeg
84F5EDF3-6BCA-4142-9441-4747CB20DCBD.jpeg
1F41C08C-8BFF-4100-AB5F-4FE269C0F081.jpeg

Posted: 19 Aug 2018, 15:36
by WilliamH
I finished the Condor 2 weeks ago, did the maiden this morning. Also realized I'd not posted a photo of the previous build, a 1/3 Swallow from the SSUK free plan.

Posted: 30 Aug 2018, 11:50
by roo Hawkins
Not a build but a revamp. John watkins built jaskolka built in 1988.

Posted: 15 Sep 2018, 20:48
by bullet007
Hi,
I do not know if anyone can help, I picked up this glider at my local auction house, am I correct in assuming that it is a Minimoa. It has a 3 metre wing span, covered in nylon and clear dope. It did have air brakes installed at one time but are now covered over. It has had a hard life with the fuselage and wings being repaired many times. Does anyone know which plan it might have been made from as the tail plane is missing and will need to be constructed. I plan to remove all the nylon, check over the structure and recover it with Oracover and get it flying again.
John

Posted: 17 Sep 2018, 21:57
by Nigel Argall
My old year 2000 plans handbook has a 120" Minimoa as an alternative to the 1/4 scale CW plan - it is RM208 and designed by 'R. Banks' You just need to find the FEB 1979 copy of 'Radio Modeller' and you will be sorted!

Posted: 18 Sep 2018, 09:43
by chris williams
Alexander Carton from Belgium has scaled up the SSUK Rhonsperber plan to half scale... He now intends to do the same to the MO2a Minimoa plan. Should be quite a sight!

BTW To those whom it may concern, I'm currently drawing/building a standard Minimoa to 1/4 scale, designed with the elderly flyer in mind, such as myself :roll:

Posted: 18 Sep 2018, 10:14
by VinceC
Great model. That must be lovely to see "live'.

Posted: 18 Sep 2018, 19:47
by chris williams
My new favourite model in action....!

[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 18 Sep 2018, 20:07
by bullet007
Many thanks Nigel for the information, I did not realise it might be that old.
Regards John

Posted: 21 Sep 2018, 11:15
by Rick Verver
Now at final stage of building a 6 metre HW4 Flamingo (1:3) from Schneider-Modell Kufstein.

Should be ready on Monday December 31st 2018, somewhere around 23:59 hours :D :D

Step-by-step picture build review upon request available through online Goolge+ Photo Album.
WARNING . .. a loooooooot of pictures . . .. "sorry"

Kind regards from the Netherlands,
Rick

PS
Planning for 2019 . . . . the Habicht 1:2,5 from Schneider-Modell.
The box is already opened ;) :-)

Posted: 25 Sep 2018, 15:27
by chris williams
The Minimoa proceeds apace...

Posted: 25 Sep 2018, 18:16
by Mike F
Hi Chris

Any design changes between this one and other Minimoas built by you?

Thanks
Mike

Posted: 25 Sep 2018, 21:33
by chris williams
This one features the one-piece gull wing structure I used on the smaller Petrel, Mike...

Posted: 26 Sep 2018, 11:47
by Mike F
Thanks Chris...

Posted: 28 Sep 2018, 19:46
by chris williams
Tomáš Váňa has flown his Flamingo and declares himself suitably chuffed....

Posted: 28 Sep 2018, 20:45
by VinceC
What a stunning model. Nice to see

Posted: 30 Sep 2018, 21:29
by chris williams
Congratulations to Smallpiece who maidened his E-assist Bergfalke 4 at White Sheet today. This has been a remarkably quick build for him, as he only started it in 1963.

At the same time we would like to claim a world record for the greatest number of Bergfalkes gathered in one spot at the same time. :D

(It would have been one more if I could have found the missing tailplane)

Posted: 01 Oct 2018, 09:10
by Barry_Cole
Even I am not that slow. Records show that I started on:- ‎22 ‎June ‎2016, ‏‎19:52:58

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BC

Posted: 01 Oct 2018, 18:48
by VinceC
Don't believe you Barry, Coronation Street was still on at that time

Posted: 01 Oct 2018, 19:04
by Barry_Cole
That's what I do when the soaps are on....

BC

Posted: 05 Nov 2018, 16:15
by chris williams
The Minimoa is just about ready for covering... Also, the paint on the Duster, after two months in the attic , has finally cured! :P

Posted: 05 Nov 2018, 19:13
by Tom Pack
Another Minimoia? What.....is that like your 20th so far??? Looks good!

Posted: 05 Nov 2018, 20:45
by Barry_Cole
chris williams wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 16:15 The paint on the Duster, after two months in the attic , has finally cured! :P
If only we could cure you that fast....

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC

Posted: 09 Nov 2018, 20:40
by Dave Cooper
Something different ! Just started researching a PSS Jet Provost project. So far, have sourced some drawings and a plan. The plan wing section looks like one of the NACA semi-symmetrical family. Not sure about this on the slope and I was wondering more about a Selig 7055, or Eppler 205 /374. Any views on this greatly appreciated...

I'm aiming for a fast(ish) model with good penetration and reasonable energy retention. Probably 'stand-off' scale in terms of detail. As this is my first PSS attempt, I'm thinking of a light but strong model which can be ballasted up for different wind strengths. I have some carbon, Kevlar, Liteply and grp knocking around looking for a home !

Thanks for any assistance,
Dave

Posted: 14 Nov 2018, 12:40
by Rick Verver
Dave Cooper wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 20:40 Something different ! Just started researching a PSS Jet Provost project. So far, have sourced some drawings and a plan. The plan wing section looks like one of the NACA semi-symmetrical family. Not sure about this on the slope and I was wondering more about a Selig 7055, or Eppler 205 /374. Any views on this greatly appreciated...

I'm aiming for a fast(ish) model with good penetration and reasonable energy retention. Probably 'stand-off' scale in terms of detail. As this is my first PSS attempt, I'm thinking of a light but strong model which can be ballasted up for different wind strengths. I have some carbon, Kevlar, Liteply and grp knocking around looking for a home !

Thanks for any assistance,
Dave
Maybe helpful:
www.google.nl/search?q=PSS+Jet+Provost& ... e&ie=UTF-8

www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=138992

www.pssaonline.co.uk/gallery-pages/The% ... ection.htm

Posted: 15 Nov 2018, 13:10
by roo Hawkins
Just started a grob 109 fuz.

Posted: 15 Nov 2018, 13:26
by Peter Balcombe
I’m looking forward to following this one.
The G109 is a lovely looking motor glider. & a great pity that the RAF recently scrapped their fleet.
Peter

Posted: 17 Nov 2018, 08:35
by WilliamH
Another Minimoa just about ready for covering. This is from Chris's original 1/4 plan

Posted: 17 Nov 2018, 08:49
by Barry_Cole
William,
You are a little behind in the race. Chris is getting ready to paint his, next week.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BC

Posted: 18 Nov 2018, 17:15
by Dave Cooper
4Unlimited : Many thanks for your post on the PSS JP. Andy Blackburn has now 'talked' me through the various pro's and con's of the different wing sections, loadings, spans and washout details. His design is great, if a little small. I'll be aiming for about a 4 foot(ish) span with rudder and flaps to boot... better get building now before the next project overtakes me !
Dave

Posted: 18 Nov 2018, 17:49
by mick a
getting there , with the minimoa 2
a little slower than i would like due to work , but hopefully be finished for christmas
!!
A3FAAE56-7C2D-4991-B371-606D28185104.jpeg

Posted: 10 Dec 2018, 19:01
by chris williams
Maidened the 1/4 scale Minimoa today in a very light wind, which was not blowing true on the slope. Never got her above the horizon but very chuffed. Weighs a paltry 12lbs, just right for an old geezer like me... :D

Posted: 10 Dec 2018, 20:42
by Geoff Pearce
No Criss, not old , just weathered! Mellow yellow sounds like a song?

Posted: 19 Dec 2018, 12:59
by WilliamH
Finally completed the 1/4 Minimoa. Maiden early in the new year.

Posted: 19 Dec 2018, 14:06
by Peter Balcombe
Very nice William :D :D

Posted: 26 Dec 2018, 12:48
by chris williams
Anders Wellsten has finished his version of the little Wolf. Note the added moustache!

Posted: 28 Dec 2018, 19:56
by chris williams
We finally got the new Minimoa above the horizon today (although the horizon was sometimes difficult to see!)

Posted: 30 Dec 2018, 18:29
by Ray Watts
Blimey, either Motley has shrunk or this is a half scale. Either way he seems to be struggling to carry it in the third photo

Posted: 30 Dec 2018, 22:25
by geoff_crew
Spot on Ray....... I was just showing Chris how to fly his glider while carrying the Tx at the same time. :D :D :D

Happy New Year one & all.

Geoff :lol: