• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Menez Hom

Please post here anywhare that may be of interest for anybody visiting an area where there is somewhere to fly. Where possible please include directions or map details for google.
Barry_Cole

Re: Menez Hom

Post by Barry_Cole »

Insurance, and a 2.4gH radio, are a good start...

Maybe a glider...

:D :D :D :D

BC
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

MarkDev wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 15:44 I'm off on my travels this summer, flying at Menez Hom in Brittany. I have been before so no problems other than does anyone have an up to date sitrep about flying in France?
Hi Mark,

Are you going for the Ascension Day meet?

Phill
wookman

Post by wookman »

The Menez Hom gets my vote as a favourite slope site. There are also some good coastal sites nearby. There are some top notch flyers there too. The Menez is arguably the spiritual home of VPTR and when Joel starts poling the big 4m Air 100 about at low level it's a joy to watch.
The Ascension holiday meet is excellent, ferries all booked. See you there.
You can not have too many gliders, you can have too little time.
wookman

Post by wookman »

Joel doing has thing
You can not have too many gliders, you can have too little time.
John Fairbairn

Post by John Fairbairn »

Just browsing through the various forums I found this thread. It reminded me very much of our last French holiday in 2003. That was the year before we moved to live in France, just north of the Pyrenees. We were staying at a camping site just across the Raz from Brest and Menez Hom wasn't far away. I had sneaked my MiniJ into our caravan and we had a trip up there and I had a very enjoyable fly. SWMBO took the photo with my little video camera. Good for video but not so good for stills so I appologise for that.
John Menez Hom.jpg
The video of Joël Matz is superb and as for the landing.... I wish! I really enjoyed it.
My ambition is to grow old disgracefully. My wife tells me that I'm doing quite well so far.
https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1

John.
Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »

Excellent days flying at Menez Hom on the South slope .
Warm and a good breeze.
Hopefully gets a few hours off the cliffs later this week.
john greenfield

Post by john greenfield »

To fly in France now you have to take their equivilent of our BMFA test, its called Alpha Tango and is an on line test available in English.
https://alphatango.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/login.jsp
Once you have passed the test (mulit choice) you have to regester every model you want to fly (over 250g) and you will be issued with a registration doc for that model with a unique reg number you have to display on the model.
Note...this is in addition to displaying your CAA number.
Not at all difficult to do but a bit of a faff.

AEB
AEB = Aeronautical Energiser Bunny (with thanks to CW)
Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »

John , I did all that and to be honest not one person had even asked , the chairperson of a club I visited yesterday just wanted to see me fly and that was good enough for him
. Been flying at Menez Hom yesterday on the South Slope and today some cliff flying at Tréfeuntec.
5BCE2B74-9EE6-4669-9B51-2D6C68555564.jpeg
Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »

Euan Galloway

Post by Euan Galloway »