• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Gower

Anything to do with gliders & gliding.
nickrees

Re: Gower

Post by nickrees »

Well, I'm up for this. Should have my Salto, big L213 (no idea how I'm going to get it up the hill!) plus anything else that will fit in the car :-D
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

nickrees wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 23:06 Well, I'm up for this. Should have my Salto, big L213 (no idea how I'm going to get it up the hill!) plus anything else that will fit in the car :-D
Getting nearer the date now, looks hopeful that the high pressure heatwave is past and we can get a some good westerly winds coming through. Remaidened my fox, she flys again, so it may be coming if i have room alongside the stingray, lunak and L213, however I might need to put my 1/5 L213 some way in the foreground somewhere next to your 1/3 for photos. Im hoping you are going with the black canopy :lol: :lol:
Attachments
FOX2.jpg
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Here a vid of the slope.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Vimeo?????????????????????????

BC
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Barry_Cole wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 23:26 Vimeo?????????????????????????

BC
BC, The Slopeflyer account was deleted, which had all the rhossili vids, not CornishSloper, which has just this one :)
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Guys, the main dates are 25/26/27 Aug, Piton cross is full over the weekend so youll need to try others that are not so close. The popular ones on the gower road are likely to fill up before the weekend whatever the weather. There are B+Bs in swansea and mumbles close by. The Kings head llangenith is also nearby and has a on site micro brewery.
Of course if the winds are strong westerley in the previous or following week, we might move it within the slot from 21 Aug to 2-Sept. Will advise when a forecast is available. There are other slopes in the area so even if its not west there are some good possibilities, ie E , SW, NE N etc.
If there are any of you who want to have a curry one of the evenings post slope sesh, i know a good one in mumbles, we could arrange.
Cheers,
mjcp
Location: A wind swept hill with no wind, in driving distance of Windsor, UK

Post by mjcp »

Time is getting closer... which sites are the preferred ones for camping?

I've previously stayed here: http://www.nicholastonfarm.co.uk Good shower block and a cafe that does food, but its not exactly on the door step of the hill...

Cheers,
Marc
m̶j̶c̶p̶ Marc

Hanger -
Some (now) pristine models that are un-flown for a year.
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

mjcp wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 15:52 Time is getting closer... which sites are the preferred ones for camping?

I've previously stayed here: http://www.nicholastonfarm.co.uk Good shower block and a cafe that does food, but its not exactly on the door step of the hill...

Cheers,
Marc
Yes this is a very nice site, we have stayed here. The beach is breathtaking. Also some good slopes within walking on Pwll-Du. I suspect this is probably booked up as its popular.
Piton Cross or Hillend, is the closest to the hill. Again ive stayed here, good sites. The drive round from Hillend to Rhossili is either a long detour by car or a 2 mile very hilly walk over the down past the trig point. Three Cliffs is a good site too.
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Got my scalies fettled and ready :)
Wind is looking very favourable the moment with a westerly change and strong winds if a little unsettled.
Attachments
Scale.jpg
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Scale fest is underway, epic day wind from 25-37 on the edge, bang on West.
First up Jack maidened his Wildthing, one brilliant first landing followed by a crash at high speed, luckily nothing damaged. Nick first maidened the salto which he had a few probs getting to grips with. Not sure wether it was overpowered in the big air, or not just not set up right. I had a good go with the 1/5 L213 which was going well. Wind was about 25 at this time. A bit of lunch and model change saw the stingray and big L213 prepped only to find that Nick had not set the CG as there was not room in the workshop. After adding the approx ballast of 1.2kg to the nose consisting of a stingray slug and all the pace ballast, after a once over both the Stingray and the Big L213 were carted up the hill. Wind was a fresh 35 plus. Air was huge, lift to the moon, we chucked off the stingray which was on rails. Then Nicks L213 was checked over and duly lobbed. This one flew like a dream, pointy, agile, great maiden flight, this one Nick enjoyed, a nice few landing passes from Nick saw a perfect landing crow and airbrakes to hit the only B****y rock in the LDZ on rhossili. The bonk was enough to pop out the rear elevator pin and put a split in a canopy. No other damage. I will upload a few more pics, once i get upload of cam.
A brill day.
Attachments
L213.jpg