Page 1 of 1

Gower

Posted: 28 May 2018, 00:03
by jimbo
Wouldn't it be nice to get a few scalies up gower for a bit of a scale fest?
Last week of august, anyone up for it?

Re: Gower

Posted: 28 May 2018, 10:03
by Phill Tadman
Hey Jimbo,

Yep.

Phill

Posted: 28 May 2018, 16:24
by terry white
I would love to Jimbo, but I think the climb would kill me.The last time I was up there with you made me require three heart stents and a pacemaker. I've promised the doctors that I would now only climb down hills. :lol: :lol:

Posted: 29 May 2018, 11:16
by jimbo
Guys,
There is the NW slope. This requires only 50m flat walking. So no excuses. The landing can be challenging if it's very windy, but I'm sure we are up to the task.
Terry, Great to hear you're fixed. It would be great to get yourself, Simon, Chris and Elliott (now local) down ?
Phil, be good to have you along.
There are some nice spots to stay nearby but you'd need to book and take a chance on the weatger, or a chance on accommodation available if you want to wait for confirmation of a window.
Of course id like to bring the fox but currently under repair :( so it may be the big 20.

Posted: 29 May 2018, 17:09
by Phill Tadman
Jimbo,

I think I’ll camp during a good weather window.

Will probably bring my Paritech ASW20 and possibly Antares if weather right.

Phill

Posted: 01 Jun 2018, 09:16
by jimbo
Indeed Dave, Rhossili flies Wsw-wnw, there is a hike up, and there is a more difficult NW slope,
Elliot has said he will attend, at this rate we can have a bit of a slope fest :)
Ill be in the area whatever, and make a weather call three of four days before.

Here was the last one. A vids of the main slope.

Posted: 01 Jul 2018, 11:56
by Neil Byrne
Hi
What's the accommodation situation like for Gower?
Is there suitable camping facilities nearby ?
Regards
Neil

Posted: 01 Jul 2018, 12:02
by jimbo

Posted: 03 Jul 2018, 17:17
by Neil Byrne
Last week of August could be ok for me, due back from India on the 20th Aug
I'll look into camp sites
Cheers
Neil

Posted: 09 Jul 2018, 17:35
by Richard Onslow
I may well join you, with the Salto. Fairly local for me.

Posted: 31 Jul 2018, 23:06
by nickrees
Well, I'm up for this. Should have my Salto, big L213 (no idea how I'm going to get it up the hill!) plus anything else that will fit in the car :-D

Posted: 31 Jul 2018, 23:10
by jimbo
nickrees wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 23:06 Well, I'm up for this. Should have my Salto, big L213 (no idea how I'm going to get it up the hill!) plus anything else that will fit in the car :-D
Getting nearer the date now, looks hopeful that the high pressure heatwave is past and we can get a some good westerly winds coming through. Remaidened my fox, she flys again, so it may be coming if i have room alongside the stingray, lunak and L213, however I might need to put my 1/5 L213 some way in the foreground somewhere next to your 1/3 for photos. Im hoping you are going with the black canopy :lol: :lol:

Posted: 31 Jul 2018, 23:21
by jimbo
Here a vid of the slope.

Posted: 31 Jul 2018, 23:26
by Barry_Cole
Vimeo?????????????????????????

BC

Posted: 31 Jul 2018, 23:58
by jimbo
Barry_Cole wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 23:26 Vimeo?????????????????????????

BC
BC, The Slopeflyer account was deleted, which had all the rhossili vids, not CornishSloper, which has just this one :)

Posted: 03 Aug 2018, 13:39
by jimbo
Guys, the main dates are 25/26/27 Aug, Piton cross is full over the weekend so youll need to try others that are not so close. The popular ones on the gower road are likely to fill up before the weekend whatever the weather. There are B+Bs in swansea and mumbles close by. The Kings head llangenith is also nearby and has a on site micro brewery.
Of course if the winds are strong westerley in the previous or following week, we might move it within the slot from 21 Aug to 2-Sept. Will advise when a forecast is available. There are other slopes in the area so even if its not west there are some good possibilities, ie E , SW, NE N etc.
If there are any of you who want to have a curry one of the evenings post slope sesh, i know a good one in mumbles, we could arrange.
Cheers,

Posted: 12 Aug 2018, 15:52
by mjcp
Time is getting closer... which sites are the preferred ones for camping?

I've previously stayed here: http://www.nicholastonfarm.co.uk Good shower block and a cafe that does food, but its not exactly on the door step of the hill...

Cheers,
Marc

Posted: 12 Aug 2018, 16:28
by jimbo
mjcp wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 15:52 Time is getting closer... which sites are the preferred ones for camping?

I've previously stayed here: http://www.nicholastonfarm.co.uk Good shower block and a cafe that does food, but its not exactly on the door step of the hill...

Cheers,
Marc
Yes this is a very nice site, we have stayed here. The beach is breathtaking. Also some good slopes within walking on Pwll-Du. I suspect this is probably booked up as its popular.
Piton Cross or Hillend, is the closest to the hill. Again ive stayed here, good sites. The drive round from Hillend to Rhossili is either a long detour by car or a 2 mile very hilly walk over the down past the trig point. Three Cliffs is a good site too.

Posted: 12 Aug 2018, 16:30
by jimbo
Got my scalies fettled and ready :)
Wind is looking very favourable the moment with a westerly change and strong winds if a little unsettled.

Posted: 14 Aug 2018, 23:12
by jimbo
Scale fest is underway, epic day wind from 25-37 on the edge, bang on West.
First up Jack maidened his Wildthing, one brilliant first landing followed by a crash at high speed, luckily nothing damaged. Nick first maidened the salto which he had a few probs getting to grips with. Not sure wether it was overpowered in the big air, or not just not set up right. I had a good go with the 1/5 L213 which was going well. Wind was about 25 at this time. A bit of lunch and model change saw the stingray and big L213 prepped only to find that Nick had not set the CG as there was not room in the workshop. After adding the approx ballast of 1.2kg to the nose consisting of a stingray slug and all the pace ballast, after a once over both the Stingray and the Big L213 were carted up the hill. Wind was a fresh 35 plus. Air was huge, lift to the moon, we chucked off the stingray which was on rails. Then Nicks L213 was checked over and duly lobbed. This one flew like a dream, pointy, agile, great maiden flight, this one Nick enjoyed, a nice few landing passes from Nick saw a perfect landing crow and airbrakes to hit the only B****y rock in the LDZ on rhossili. The bonk was enough to pop out the rear elevator pin and put a split in a canopy. No other damage. I will upload a few more pics, once i get upload of cam.
A brill day.

Posted: 15 Aug 2018, 11:31
by jimbo
Pics

Posted: 15 Aug 2018, 13:46
by Nigel Argall
Glad you are having a good trip! Windy in Cornwall - but not THAT much.

Posted: 16 Aug 2018, 08:58
by jimbo
Weather is looking like holding westerley at the mo on long range forecast.
Nick and I are going up today if anyone local cares to join. Looks like it should be flyable for the next few weeks if anyone is thinking of the trip over.

Posted: 18 Aug 2018, 08:09
by Neil Byrne
See you Monday,prob early afternoon
Tally ho

Posted: 18 Aug 2018, 16:47
by jimbo
More great conditions - west n windy. Nicks salto getting some more airtime, the 213 and the Lunak too and Jack making his first solo flight with his WT.
Forecast is currently raining in wales until Mon, when winds are becoming lighter and easterly. Until Fri when they are going back west. (Neil just kidding haha)

Posted: 18 Aug 2018, 18:45
by mjcp
Anyone else seen this site for weather?

http://wxcharts.eu/?panel=default&model ... kewtstep=0

Give wind speed at (edit not 30m) 10m height - perfect for slope forecasts!

Marc

Posted: 18 Aug 2018, 20:31
by jimbo
Cool site Marc, Looks like the westerly is holding Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun next week.
Whats your ETA? Anyone else coming along and on what day?

Posted: 19 Aug 2018, 20:28
by Neil Byrne
I'll be in Rhossilli around 8am
Where's good for breakfast ?
Regards
Neil

Posted: 19 Aug 2018, 21:59
by jimbo
Take your pic. Lots of places.
Youre in luck its still strong west.

Posted: 20 Aug 2018, 08:42
by Neil Byrne
I'm jinxed !!

Posted: 20 Aug 2018, 10:27
by jimbo
You could fly your phoenix off the little field i can see in the front of the pic :D :D
Tis raining here now :shock:

Posted: 20 Aug 2018, 15:43
by jimbo
Oh dear.
Now the weather really has gone to pot!
raining hard down. Mist and fog.

Posted: 22 Aug 2018, 14:18
by Neil Byrne
Tuesday 21st, cracking afternoon up top of Rhossilli slope
I took alpina, Some local looking chap turned up with 1/5th scale Lunak
Good flying was observed
Today Wednesday 22nd
All day in tent drinking tea hoping the rain will go away !!!
Regards
Neil

Posted: 22 Aug 2018, 14:31
by jimbo
Consider yourself lucky. You don't have 2 screaming kids in the tent! Wind finally stingray strength and tail joiner is busted.

Posted: 22 Aug 2018, 19:02
by mjcp
What are the options for other than W? e.g. NNW/NW and SSW/SW?

Thinking that Sunday pm / Monday is looking good for me. Rain should have cleared by the time I arrive for an afternoon on the W hill, butMonday morning starts NNW, swings W, then ends SW!

Marc

Posted: 22 Aug 2018, 20:04
by jimbo
Options are good for all N, W and SW. We were on the SW slope today. Neils cmpro discus was going well.
The N and SW are ok but landing isn't prime so you might find a foamy or less valuable model the best to fly.

Posted: 22 Aug 2018, 20:19
by jimbo
Weather update
Good news
So currently the wind is in a westerley change and on the major slopes on Gower.
Bad news
It's unsettled and showers are long and wet. Hill has been clagged all day today but it's been beautiful yesterday..

Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 07:30
by Neil Byrne
Oh boy, it didn't half rain last night !!
Think I've been swept out to sea!!
At least the sky's clearing up and I can see the top of the slope!!
Land ahoy !!

Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 09:08
by jimbo
Really. I went to bed at 9 and slept though like a baby til 6.30 am to wake up to this lovely sunrise!

Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 09:33
by Neil Byrne
Sleep or knocked out by Mrs Jimbo ?
I'm at Bay cafe, two paragliders up, but not really pushing away from the slope

Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 15:05
by Neil Byrne
Successful morning up Rhossilli slope
Wind was spot on west, 18-20mph
I'm sure Jimbo will add more ...

Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 16:37
by jimbo
Best air so far of the week. 25 plus on top. Alpina got some big air under her wings. Some tentative flying with the Alpina by neil though as not wanting to push his luck. First crow adjusted so she came in nice. Lunak was flying in biggest air yet.
Nice low very quick using the whole if the slope as PGS were well and truly grounded. Cmpro going well. Unusually one flier on 72mhz one on 35 and one on 2.4. Andrew from Lancasters homebrew also going well. Neil and I had a blast with the wild thing. WT was rolling looping with ease on the big air. Excellent day!

Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 16:46
by jimbo
Pics

Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 17:48
by Neil Byrne
It's blowing a proper hooley now at the cafe
Jimbo get your Stingray fully ballasted up there, she'll go like a scalded moggie!

Posted: 23 Aug 2018, 19:42
by jimbo
No driving now or even flying. Alcohol has been consumed. Maybe tommorrow!

Posted: 24 Aug 2018, 17:30
by jimbo
Not one but two inteco L213s out.
Wind 35mph gusting 43 at the edge.
An epic rhossili sesh.

Posted: 24 Aug 2018, 22:00
by jimbo
Lunak Low Pass :o :o

Posted: 25 Aug 2018, 09:49
by jimbo
Weekend forecast.
West later today.
Rain ON sun.
Westerley and sun on Monday!
Whose coming?
Unusual to get a favourable forecast for BHM at rhossili.

Posted: 25 Aug 2018, 11:31
by Barry_Cole
Is it always all blurred up there??

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BC

Posted: 25 Aug 2018, 14:39
by mjcp
Aiming for Monday.

Here's some WX charts for those who prefer pics.

XCWeather.co.uk
XCweather - Rhossili.png

WXcharts.eu (showing the 10m above sea level wind speeds)
wxCharts-10m-wind-Rhossili.png

Marc

Posted: 25 Aug 2018, 17:14
by jimbo
Forecast looks good on Sun PM too, rain clearing by 1, to give a strong westerly. Most of the campsites are not busy at the moment due to rain, so should be able to camp if anyone wants too.
Although Neil has left he is aiming to return on Sun.
Wind speeds both days look like the Paras will be permanently grounded.
Looks good guys!

Posted: 26 Aug 2018, 08:41
by mjcp

Posted: 26 Aug 2018, 08:56
by Neil Byrne
I'm at Cardiff services, think a canoe is more suitable than an Alpina !
5am start wasted .....

Posted: 26 Aug 2018, 09:16
by jimbo
Stop whining, its wales what do you expect :D
At least the winds in the right direction and after it blows through flying is going to be epic.
Mr Meade and the PSS guys are bringing down 'something heavy to maiden'.
Should be interesting!

Posted: 26 Aug 2018, 09:32
by Neil Byrne
My sheep are getting wet!

Posted: 27 Aug 2018, 09:27
by jimbo
Start 10-11am. Forecast wind starting 25plus, dropping later.
Hope to see some of you there.

https://magicseaweed.com/Live-Llangenni ... Webcam/12/
Looking breezy!

Posted: 06 Sep 2019, 19:47
by jimbo
A short vid of this years gower pilgrimage; certainly lucky with 2 weeks of strong westerlies; saw the first flights of the byhon, the pace, the vj and the m60. Also present was a stingray, opus, fox to name but a few. Jack was flying this Wild Thing and trying the M60.

[youtube][/youtube]

Posted: 06 Sep 2019, 22:48
by terry white
I remember it well Jimbo. :P

Posted: 06 Sep 2019, 23:01
by jimbo
terry white wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 22:48 I remember it well Jimbo. :P
Still as amazing as ever Ter,
heres a couple of the byhon, fast n low, and a few others.

BYHON_FP.jpg
BYHON_FP1.jpg
M60_1.jpg
VJ2.jpg
VJ3.jpg
VJ5.jpg