• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Sustainers - Yes or NO!

Here is where you can discuss to your hearts content the merits of sustainers.
terry white

Re: Sustainers - Yes or NO!

Post by terry white »

Cliff and friends, I apologize if my postings have offended anyone, :oops: That was certainly not the intention.
I may be straight to the point at times but this is only due to me trying to get a definitive answer to my questions. I believe that through this thread many flyers will have a much better understanding of sustainers and why we use them. I am sincerely hoping that in the future they will be allowed on the Mynd and my colleges and I will once again join the happy band of the Wolves club. Regards to all Ter.
alibodin

Post by alibodin »

An interesting discussion indeed, however I had a wry smile, as when registering we are encouraged "to register with your full name, and not some weird " avatar".", just curious why this would appear not to apply to Scale Police unless that really is their name. ;)
matt

Post by matt »

We have to conform every day of our lives. Hobbies are for pleasure and the individuals choice, not of their peer. In the vast scheme of things doe's it really matter if it's scale or not?(If it was to the nth degree no one would meet the criteria). We could all be dead tomorrow!
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

matt - depends on the individual how much scale, but as for me, for example, the See Adler had rope around the base of the fuselage for mooring, so instead of using a bit of string, I made a rope walk and spun my own scale rope. Some may think I am crazy, but I like a challenge, but I would not even contemplate a propeller after all the effort I put in to it
terry white

Post by terry white »

I don't know what to say Vince, Seems that you are in the wrong hobby to me.You should have been a model railway enthusiast, they spend their time in a similar manner but don't fight the elements with it when its finished. My mothers words come to mind when I would take my latest efforts home in a dustbin liner. She would say, while shaking her head, hands in the sink, "all that work night after night, all that pocket money gone on bits and pieces, all that loving care to paint it, and then you go and chuck it off some hill. :lol:

To bring the thread back on line,what I will say is that I agree you could not have a prop on the front of such a lovely aircraft as that,that would be sacrilege. However if heavens forbid you should be flying it one day when you've not made peace with the wind gods and they stop blowing. With your lovely lovely model slowly descending into the abis below.With your buttocks clenched, you might, just might,be heard to say:-

"Now I agree that on the right aircraft a sustainer makes good sense". :o Kind regards Ter.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Two things of note at White Sheet yesterday...
First, that well known old purist Pat Teakle flew an E-Assist K18, and then asked if we could run an event for such models at White Sheet next year! Secondly, poor 'ol Ray Watts became the only one to land out, if decorating the top of a tree could ever be called landing out. Our intrepid chairman went all the way home and back to fetch his climbing gear (his other hobby) and retrieved the model for Ray. Obviously, a moustache in this instance would have saved an awful lot of hassle...

It does trouble me a little that those that oppose E-Assist seem to be the ones that have never tried it :?:
Attachments
01.jpg
10.jpg
Ray Watts

Post by Ray Watts »

This was another incident like my foray last year at the Mynd.

This time there was nobody really willing to give it a go with a non e-assist glider of any size, but I had flown my electric Thermic dream and found a lot of thermals so I prepped my 24 and waited for a thermal to pass through and launched. Initially I was at half hill height immediately from launch, but flying to the end of the hill, it came back up to my level. A couple of passes and then it hooked a thermal. This resulted in a climb to 1000 feet above launch. There followed a 40 minute flight using thermals which were in abundance and a good time was had. But then all of a sudden nothing and it came down about 200 feet a minute and it was game over. Unfortunately (or lack of skill on my part) whilst watching the shadow over the field at the bottom, I stalled the model at the wrong time and place and it sat itself in the top of the highest tree. E-assist would have prevented a whole lot of effort that followed the incident, and my feeling the need for oxygen after walking up and down the hill a couple of times. Many thanks though to the White Sheet chairman and his mate for recovering it which took about an hour and a half.

The 24 nose is coming off now.

Ray
It's always calmer indoors :D
John Vella

Post by John Vella »

chris williams wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 00:22

It does trouble me a little that those that oppose E-Assist seem to be the ones that have never tried it :?:
Chris we had the same attitude about turbos on full size gliders to start with. "It can't be a proper glider because it has an engine". Now with the lack of crews and the risk of land out views have changed. The same will happen with modelling . From a comp perspective penalise a K factor for the prop and if used the flight is void, and with full size once the engine is started a land out is recorded.
Regards John.
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

A quick note about scale competitions. I cut my teeth on the White Sheet competitions, now but a distant memory. Why have they disappeared?
Consider the infrastructure required:
1: Static Judge: A knowledgeable person, happy to spend most of the day poring over three view and photos, and amiable enough to put up with the inevitable back-biting from contestants who feel they have been unfairly judged
Turnpoint 1 Judge: Able to sit on his own for entire day and watch other people fly
Turnpoint 2 Judge: Ditto
Turnpoint 3 judge: Ditto
Landing Judge: Ditto, although slightly more entertaining
Competition Director: Needs a skin as thick as elephant hide

Now, imagine rounding up all these volunteers, making them cancel whatever else they might be doing that day, and then telling them on the day that it's all off because the wind isn't cooperating. (And then repeating it four times in a row!) It's a wonder we held any competitions at all!

Today we have fly-Ins: practically no organisation, no volunteers required, and as amiable a bunch of non-competitive souls you could ever hope to find in a month of Sundays. Unlike the F3effers, we don't close the hill to other club fliers and (at least up until now) we all get along peaceably.

As far as I know, there is no formal scale aerotow competition in the UK

Therefore the inclusion, or otherwise, of a moustache on a model, should not be regarded in relation to formal competitions, as such things have to all intents and purposes died out...
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

We did hold a couple of scale aerotow events at Lasham, (My first towing duty) and MW in the early days. They basically died out for many of the reasons that Chis outlined previously, and that pilots did not want to travel for miles, and spend all day having maybe two flights, three if you were lucky. So the format changed to the fly in format that we have now.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BC