Page 1 of 1

Jilles Smits ASW 15

Posted: 15 Oct 2018, 15:57
by Chris Bowles
Something to keep me busy during the winter months, have done the easy bit first, thanks Cliff all the bits fitted, now the fun starts planking

Re: Jilles Smits ASW 15

Posted: 26 Oct 2018, 11:41
by Chris Bowles
Well the planking went quite well, suprised that it took 10, 36×4 balsa sheets, just a bit more sanding & filling, fitted hardwood planking around the retract opening, to give the hinges something extra to bond to, also infilled the front keel section with ply, before planking, a bit strengh when slope soaring, also will be glassing the inside cockpit area

Posted: 28 Oct 2018, 10:28
by B Sharp
That's looking good Chris. Will I see it at Eden Valley next year?
Brian :)

Posted: 28 Oct 2018, 12:26
by Chris Bowles
Thanks Brian, yes that is the plan, just need Euan to post the dates so we can organize a trip, off now to do some more sanding

Posted: 29 Oct 2018, 08:16
by VinceC
Lovely sleek fuselage. Good to see a plastic glider modelled in wood so successfully

Posted: 30 Oct 2018, 01:12
by Paul Chisholm
Hi Guys am about to start to do my ASW 15 short kit to Jilles plans currently trying to decide wing construction method. Am thinking of vac bag carbon over foam cut cores. Thoughts? :roll: Hi Brian Sharp just a note to advise will be back in the UK June July next year hope to catch up with friends on the slope while there
regards
Paul Chisholm

Posted: 30 Oct 2018, 19:49
by Chris Bowles
My plans for the wings differ from the original, first I am going to make the wing in 4 sections, easier to transport, 2nd going to cover the foam core, with glasscloth and obechi, want to finish the fuz first before I start on the wings

Posted: 30 Oct 2018, 20:38
by terry white
Hi Chris, you may find it difficult to resource obechi of that size in this country now as I believe it has become unavailable to the saw mills throughout the world. Best bet is Germany but due to its package size is very expensive to ship.
I still have limited amounts of 1.2 and 1.6mm thickness in some length sizes if it helps, alternatively you could speak to Roo on this forum as he uses a British alternative very successfully. Ter

Posted: 31 Oct 2018, 13:25
by Chris Bowles
Hi Terry, thanks for the offer, but I have stock, back in the dark ages, obechi was never easy to find in long wide lengths, so when I found some bought quite a lot, so have enough to do the 15, use it while I can, the kids would just throw it out

Posted: 07 Nov 2018, 09:36
by Chris Bowles
Just a bit more sanding before a coat of primer to show all the imperfections, decided to wrap some carbon cloth around the back end, to give a bit more strength to the balsa

Posted: 07 Nov 2018, 10:07
by VinceC
Very, very nice

Posted: 07 Nov 2018, 15:00
by Chris Bowles
Thanks Vince, yes pleased the result so far,

Posted: 26 Nov 2018, 15:09
by Chris Bowles
have stopped work on the fuz, because one of the jobs was to fair in the wing root, need a wing to do that, so started on the wings, all went well until cutting the foam inserts, normally with a foam wing, you have a top, the core and the bottom, you sort of have the same, it's just with this wing you have 24 tops and 24 bottoms, a bit tricky to keep it all in place, to get a accurate cut, so a quick trip to the builders merchants to get a cheap sheet of ply, so with the wing resting on its support legs, I cut the top section, abit of glue on the top and laid a piece of ply, and let it dry, then when you turn it over to cut the bottom, all the top sections are held in place, also done the same with the bottom , also the plan has the trailing edge as stock balsa TE, seeing as I was cutting the foam to shape, I made up some templates and cut the trailing edge out of the foam, so should end up with a thin sharp TE

Posted: 26 Dec 2018, 13:46
by Chris Bowles
Hi All, A Merry Xmas to you, well it's been awhile since the last post, but I have been busy, didn't think you would like pic's of wings in plastic bags, looking on the web I saw that some ASW 15's have fitted winglets, so just had to do another mod, I extended the aileron out to the tip, then made up the winglets so that they plugged into the tip panel, also I decided to do the aileron with a living hinge, still a lot of work to do, but enjoyable so far

Posted: 20 Mar 2019, 17:06
by Jeremy87
New to this site and came across this while trawling the forums for inspiration.

Fantastic looking model, love the wing tips!

Any updates on this one?

Jeremy

Posted: 20 Mar 2019, 19:30
by Chris Bowles
Hi Jeremy, the 15 is coming alone, the weather has not helped with painting, but have finished painting now, there is also a hold up with the canopy, problems with the plug, which Cliff Evans is fixing, after sorting out Brexit in the mean time have made a temp canopy out of foam, glassed and painted going to take some pics tomorrow, if the sun comes out, will post on here when done
Chris

Posted: 20 Mar 2019, 19:35
by chris williams
Cliff, are you 3d printing the canopy plugs now...?

cw

Posted: 20 Mar 2019, 21:32
by chris williams
Darn it...my supplies of Elbow Grease are running low

Posted: 23 Mar 2019, 11:50
by Chris Bowles
Hi put the model together, first for some pics, then to see how much lead was needed to balance, 350grms brought the C of G as per plan, so a total of 750grms was used. 400grms moulded into the nose when building, finish of the wiring, and get it in the air

Posted: 07 Apr 2019, 10:19
by Chris Bowles
Have finished off the radio installation, now just waiting for the weather to be kind for the maiden, in the picture there is a servo mounted on F7a, this is used to lock the canopy down, so switch on, replace canopy, flick a switch, and the canopy is held in place, there is a peg in the front, better than tape, or the spring latch, and loads of spare channels

Posted: 07 Apr 2019, 22:34
by B Sharp
Very Clever Chris! A very ingenious canopy lock.
Mmmmmmmmm? Just a thought? You inadvertently leave the radio on - the battery runs down - the Rx stops working - the servo doesn't want to play any more - how do you open the canopy again? :lol: :lol: :lol:
All that aside, I look forward to seeing it fly at Eden Valley if you get there again this year.
Brian :)

Posted: 08 Apr 2019, 10:48
by Chris Bowles
Hi Brian, we have got a cunning plan, I carry a hammer in my bag, cures all problems, all booked in, looking forward it, even Mr Flood should be there with his new DG 1000

Posted: 11 Apr 2019, 20:11
by Chris Bowles
Well yesterday we carried the 15 up our local easterly slope, 10 mph, wanted a bit more, but having put the effort in to get to the top, the worst that could happen is the plane land down the bottom, switched on, checked everything again, short run and a good heave, and out she went, and up, 2 clicks of up and 2 clicks of left aileron, flying straight and level, hands off, need to put my gloves on very happy with the flight performance, after 30 min came in for a landing, again a none event, the 2nd flight showed it's thermalling capability, your on the hill, the wind goes cold, and along comes the sink, now looking down on the model, find a bit of lift, start working it, up she comes, but so easy to fly really impressed 2nd flight 45 min, and a even better landing, went home happy, next, hook it up to a tug. didn't take any flying pics very cloudy and dull,

Posted: 11 Apr 2019, 20:24
by Chris Bowles
Chris Bowles wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 20:11 Well yesterday we carried the 15 up our local easterly slope, 10 mph, wanted a bit more, but having put the effort in to get to the top, the worst that could happen is the plane land down the bottom, switched on, checked everything again, short run and a good heave, and out she went, and up, 2 clicks of up and 2 clicks of left aileron, flying straight and level, hands off, need to put my gloves on very happy with the flight performance, after 30 min came in for a landing, again a none event, the 2nd flight showed it's thermalling capability, your on the hill, the wind goes cold, and along comes the sink, now looking down on the model, find a bit of lift, start working it, up she comes, but so easy to fly really impressed 2nd flight 45 min, and a even better landing, went home happy, next, hook it up to a tug. didn't take any flying pics very cloudy and dull, but as we packed up the sun came out, so after pic

Posted: 11 Apr 2019, 20:34
by Chris Bowles
One of our members took a picture of me heading down to the carpark

Posted: 13 Apr 2019, 23:05
by Paul Chisholm
Hi Chris,

Have you been able to obtain a canopy for your model? I am located in New Zealand and am the custodian of the ASW15 canopy plug that I built in conjunction with Jilles Smits the designer of the model you have built from Brisbane Australia. I am coming to England stay in the Wirral with family for two months in June this year and am also a friend of Brian Sharp. I am intending on visiting some slope events while there and would be pleased to meet up and see the model you have built if at all possible.
I also have a short kit for this model I obtained from Jilles and intend to build it on my return from Europe during the NZ winter. I have a KA6e of jilles's design that fly's very nice. I generally hook up with Jilles at least once a year when we visit Australia at least once a year, or he comes to visit Family in NZ or attends our major Aerotow event at Omarama each year.
Refer to the following for views of NZ flying ( My KA6 is reg F-CDYL being a model of the full size in France) pictured in some of the pics on the site:
https://www.facebook.com/RC-Aerotow-Sca ... 474558174/

Regards
Paul Chisholm

Posted: 14 Apr 2019, 09:08
by John Vella
Goody goody Cliff. I am looking forward to replacing mine on my old ASW15. Regards John.

Posted: 14 Apr 2019, 10:14
by Paul Chisholm
OK was going to suggest I would bring one over but seeing you have it in hand wont bother
regards
Paul Chisholm ;)

Posted: 14 Apr 2019, 17:34
by Chris Bowles
Hi Paul,
thanks for the offer, as Cliff has said I should be getting my canopy soon, as for the other, I do get around the country, so it could be possible to meet up,
meeting up with a Mr Sharp next month so will have a chat with him and be in touch
Chris

Posted: 15 Jul 2019, 17:38
by Chris Bowles
Hi it's been a while since my last post, having got and fitted the canopy, I have been flying the plane, must say that it flies very well, and the other fliers who have seen it fly, have also committed on how well behaved the plane is. taking pictures is another thing, nobody around to take pictures when you want them, but here is the finished plane waiting for the next tow

Posted: 10 Aug 2020, 18:17
by Chris Bowles
Hi it's been awhile since the last post, this is just a follow up, have been flying the 15, when covid permits, still happy with the plane, it does seem to hang on well, and will climb on the weakest of thermals, we held your local aerotow event yesterday, one of our members had his camera and took a few pictures of the 15

Posted: 10 Aug 2020, 19:05
by Peter Balcombe
Very nice Chris :)

Posted: 20 Jan 2022, 19:26
by JuergenH
Hello,

I am also building an ASW-15.
The last thing I installed was a motor, a Hacker A50.
Now the question arises for me, do I need additional weight in the nose of the plane?

BR
Jürgen

Posted: 23 Jan 2022, 16:52
by Chris Bowles
Hi Jurgen, I am pretty sure you will need lead in the nose, I needed 1kg+ of lead in the nose, also I have 2, 5000 2s lipos as far forward as I could get them, plus a std size tow release servo
Chris

Posted: 24 Jan 2022, 19:42
by JuergenH
Hi Chris,
thank YouTube for the answert.

Have you put the lead into the 3d-printed-nose?

BR Jürgen

Posted: 06 Sep 2022, 20:15
by JCE
Hello
First, i apologize for my poor english. I'm from Belgium and interested by glider and electrogliders.
I have some experience with wood construction and scratch-build models..
I have interest with the Jilles Smits asw 15. The only one in wood. A lot of epoxy's asw 15 in the market seems so heavy...
I have some question for you and i'll be happy if you can respond.
How heavy is your glider in flight condition ?
How long is the fuse ?
What size of motor would you recommend ? Is the installation provided as an option on the plan ?
Thanks a lot if anyone can answer me.
Nice evening.
Christophe

Posted: 08 Sep 2022, 11:28
by Chris Bowles
Hi Christophe, the overall length of the 15 is 2040mm, and the flying weight of mine is 8.9kg, there where no details of fitting a electric motor on the plans supplied with the kit
Regards Chris

Posted: 08 Sep 2022, 19:49
by JCE
Good evening Chris
Thanks for your response.
I m surprised by this weight ... I see you re in slope sailor mode .
It s the same weight than an plastic model ...
I thought a wooden model would be lighter.
I only fly in the plain, no slope.

Posted: 08 Sep 2022, 19:52
by JCE
I exaggerate. The same weight as a plastic four-meter is fairer :)

Posted: 08 Sep 2022, 19:55
by JCE
Another basic question...
Is this model a good choice for thermal flying ?
Thanks for your opinion.

Posted: 09 Sep 2022, 10:51
by Chris Bowles
Hi Christophe, the 15 thermals very well it's my go to model I would get another one if anything happened to this one
Chris

Posted: 09 Sep 2022, 17:15
by JCE
Thanks Chris.
An answer that suits me ,o)
You make a foam wing ,not ?
Does the plan also include a ribbed wing ?
Sorry for all my questions.

Posted: 09 Sep 2022, 18:02
by Chris Bowles
Hi Christophe, the wing is built up with ribs, but the plan does use foam in between the ribs to give more strength. hope this helps
Chris

Posted: 09 Sep 2022, 21:35
by JCE
Hello Chris
Your answers are very helpful to me. I hope to have an overview of the plan and decide to order a short kit... a long-term job...
In fact I've been hesitating for a long time between a mibo, an airworld, a resin glider-it or this wooden construction. But the latter attracts me, I remain above all builder ...
And I also fear the weight for my thermal use. It is the whole problem to pass the 4 meters of wingspan... 7, 8 kilos frightens me. Yet it is the norm for a 5 meter ... and also wood is more comfortable for any repairs...
But I would really like an asw 15 ;0)

Posted: 09 Sep 2022, 21:46
by JCE
Some gliders remain in your dreams ... me it's ASW 15, Glasflugel Standard Libelle and Siren Edelweiss..
Not very modern but ... it's like that...

Posted: 10 Sep 2022, 12:51
by JCE
Now it s time to review Jilles drawing. A big thank you to those who made this possible. A big thank also to you, Cliff, and your morning's message. Need some time to explore and understand and lasercutsailplane will definitely have a visit...
A lot of work awaits me ....
Have a great week end !

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 08:45
by JCE
Hello
Some questions again...
I see fuselage is covered by balsa 3mm sanded in form and balsa 2mm glassed with glass cloth.
Chris , you said use 10* balsa 4mm for planked your fuse. Did you put 2mm balsa and glass cloth also ?
Is the nose 3d file available easily ? A supplier idea ?
Thanks for helping.
A very good day for all forum readers.

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 09:15
by Peter Balcombe
Christophe,
I would think it is probably 3mm balsa planking, which is then sanded to profile, which reduces the thickness from 3mm to 2mm. The smooth sanded planking is then glassed with say 25gsm cloth to give a much tougher outer surface.
(This was the process for the 40% Super Albatross which I have recently built)

I am sure that Cliff produces a 3D printed nose cone to go with the short kit as he does with most of the later designs from Jilles.
Peter

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 13:22
by Cliff Evans
JCE wrote: 14 Sep 2022, 08:45 Hello
Some questions again...
I see fuselage is covered by balsa 3mm sanded in form and balsa 2mm glassed with glass cloth.
Chris , you said use 10* balsa 4mm for planked your fuse. Did you put 2mm balsa and glass cloth also ?
Is the nose 3d file available easily ? A supplier idea ?
Thanks for helping.
A very good day for all forum readers.
There is not a 3D printable nose available at present. I will ask Jilles if he can supply the files to print one.

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 17:53
by JCE
Thanks Peter and Cliff.
Cliff, do you confirm for the fuselage plating? a single layer of balsa, sanded and vitrified?
Thank you and have a nice evening.

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 19:56
by Peter Balcombe
Christophe,
I have a copy of the 1/3 scale ASW fuselage drawing which says on section JJ (Fuselage former F10):

“3mm strip balsa sanded smooth in shape. Final result 2mm balsa. Glassed with 25gr/m2 glass cloth and resin. Typical for complete fuselage”

Peter

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 20:00
by Cliff Evans
It is planked with 3 mm balsa, then glassed. Jilles build pics clearly show this.

p55.jpg
p60.jpg
p66.jpg
p67.jpg
p68.jpg
P126.jpg

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 20:29
by JCE
Thanks. My translation of the instruction on the plan was wrong. I understand better. Sorry for that. I need to improve my english...
Good night !

Posted: 15 Sep 2022, 08:41
by Cliff Evans
I now have the nose cone file for printing.

Posted: 09 Dec 2022, 08:40
by JuergenH
Hello,

I have built a woodwing.

Posted: 02 Apr 2023, 16:17
by JuergenH
Hello,

slowly but surely things are moving forward.
For the spoilers, I glued pine strips under the cover.
This will allow me to build the cover 2mm thick later.

BR

Jürgen