Anyone wishing to register, once you have, PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER for the confirmation email. There are a lot of people registered but not activated their accounts.

frsky rb-20

Discussion about Tx, Rx, Servo's, Batteries, Chargers, and all the other things we like to talk about..
Moderator: VinceC
jack

frsky rb-20

Post by jack » 11 Mar 2019, 17:48

Hi all,well,l have progressed the B4 to the gear install stage,l have just fitted my new RB-20 redundancy bus,but it seems like l have a problem with it,at first all seemed fine,my u/c and doors were going up and down in fine style....then my tx started shouting at me,warning power overload-servo overload,which it kept repeating.....this got my attention,it not being something l had set up or even heard before :o ,investigation followed,but all seems to be fine,this warning is produced even after l pulled all the servo plugs from the rb-20 :? ,l also removed the back up power lead so l know its not an overload,the fact that the warning happens even when no servos are connected is worrying :? ,does anyone have any ideas as to the cause :?: ,the instruction sheet states that the rb 20 does have overload protection on each channel,but l cant see why its activating with nothing but the power lead plugged in and only supplying 6 volts...maybe my rb-20 is faulty :?: any frsky gurus out there have any suggestions :?:

Barry_Cole

Re: frsky rb-20

Post by Barry_Cole » 11 Mar 2019, 19:15

Jack,
I will inquire, of those that know these things.

:D :D :D :D

BC

Simon WS

Post by Simon WS » 12 Mar 2019, 14:31

It would be unfair of me to "rubbish" a product based on one experience (and in general I love Frsky products) but a friend of mine used the RB-20 in his 7m Let glider and lost complete control on the maiden and the model was partially destroyed. He is convinced that the RB-20 was to blame but obviously we can't be certain.
Personally I go for a simpler route when I need lots of channels by using two receivers each with their own battery and build in as much redundancy as possible (one elevator for each receiver etc)

Simon

jack

Post by jack » 13 Mar 2019, 19:25

hi people,an update on my RB-20 troubles,so far neither myself or barry have been able to come up with an explanation for this problem,richard at T-9 has been really helpful,couldnt ask for better response from a supplier,but,l still have a unit that l cant trust....the fact that the "power overload and servo overload" are still generated even after unplugging everything bar a single power lead suggests to me that its an internal fault,l updated my Tx to the 2.2.3 release but this made no difference.....l have now returned the unit to T-9,for replacement,l have asked Richard to let me know the outcome and will post it here,Simon,l have just read your reply post and its a bit concerning to say the least :( ,but like you l do like frsky stuff,it would be of interest to hear from people who may have had incidents with the RB-20,anyway,l will be having another as soon as Richard can supply one,will let you all know how l get on :!: :!:

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole » 13 Mar 2019, 20:17

There are plenty of posts on RC-Groups from people who are using them very successfully on large IC planes and fast jets.

:D :D :D :D

BC

Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells » 13 Mar 2019, 22:15

Interested to see your prognosis, I have an RB-20 waiting for a model...

Ell.

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 14 Mar 2019, 07:47

Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update for the unit itself!

There is also a thread on RCGroups that may help with the problem, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... st40597131
The user there with the user name of "webbsolution" may be able to help as I beleive he has written some of the firmware for FRSky.

jack

Post by jack » 15 Mar 2019, 20:17

Evening cliff,had a look on rc groups,the problems are more or less the same as those l am having,in my case l was getting the warnings as soon as l switched on....even when l had nothing but a single 6 volt feed connected :? ,l checked the voltage being supplied and got about 6.80 on a freshly charged nimh pack,these units are rated up to 8.4 volts so it was definitely not overloaded,its gone back to T-9 now,hopefully Richard can get to the bottom of it,presently l am using an x8r to set things up with no trouble at all,so ,as far as l can see,its all pointing to an internal fault of some kind in the RB-20,possibly related to the overload protection on the channels :?: ,all the best,jack.