John Slater Airspeed Tern

Let us all watch your new project progress.
Barry Apostolou

John Slater Airspeed Tern

Post by Barry Apostolou » 08 Jun 2019, 16:19

Hi All,

I have just purchased a John Slater designed 'short Kit' for an Airspeed Tern sailplane 1/4 scale, does anyone have access to a build log that i could use to help my efforts. I find that having the results of someone else's efforts really helps me with mine.

All the best

Barry Apostolou

John Slater

Re: John Slater Airspeed Tern

Post by John Slater » 18 Jun 2019, 07:54

Hi Barry,
Pleased you have bought a short kit of the Airspeed Tern, i'm sorry I do not know anything about the short kit other than what excellant quality they are,
I built the original using the method shown in my build thread, before I donated the plan. This was assembled in a jig after first constructing a `box' frame then laying a peripheral keel to slot in the fuselage formers, and then fitting the stringers, this allowed me to almost complete the fuselage in the jig and keeping it all nice and straight ( as long as the box jig is straight ). It then only required the thin ply sheeting to be put on.
Good luck with the build, and the flying which I am sure you will enjoy.
Kind regards
John

Barry Apostolou

Re: John Slater Airspeed Tern

Post by Barry Apostolou » Yesterday, 15:20

Cheers John,

that has been of help re-the jig method of doing the fuz. However I still cannot find your original build thread, would that be on this web site or do you have to send it to me. Sorry for the delay in replying I have been on a flying holiday at Burnham on Sea, flying Crookes peak, Bream Down, Up Hill and other sites, total exhausted now climbing up hills etc..

Thanks for the feedback, all the best

Barry A