If you are joining, please check your spam folder for confirmation email

Non scale colour schemes.

The notice board for all important announcements from the management.
Cliff Evans

Non scale colour schemes.

Post by Cliff Evans » 10 Nov 2019, 18:41

The owner of the site spent 20+ years building it into a resource for scale modellers. The recent activity of building scale models using non-scale colour schemes is turning the site into something that he does not like! I have been asked to try to curb this. I am not here to upset anybody but, I must say that when I joined the forum it was nothing but scale. Over the past two years or so there have been a number of "non-scale" activities, some of which I understand may be necessary to some for them to continue flying i.e. the appearance of moustaches (props) on some models. However, along with the owner of the site, I find it unnecessary to put a colour scheme on an aircraft that simply is not in keeping with the ethos of the site or the aircraft. Many of you make donations towards the upkeep of the site and for that I thank you. I would be interested to know the views of all members.

Thank you.

Cliff.

mick a

Re: Non scale colour schemes.

Post by mick a » 10 Nov 2019, 23:16

If someone who owns a full size glider and decides to go with a unusual colour scheme, is it ok to copy this with pics as proof ? will this still be scale ?
or is it only original factory colour schemes for the type/ make ?

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 10 Nov 2019, 23:29

If the full size has been painted in a particular scheme then a model based on that would be scale. For instance, there is an ASK13 in Holland that has a great colour scheme which I plan to reproduce on a Cliff Charlesworth ASK13.
FB_IMG_1573428257105.jpg

terry white

Post by terry white » 15 Nov 2019, 12:27

Cliff, I think that you and the forum owner should think very carefully for what you wish for.
I have delayed answering your post as I wanted to discuss the situation with my flying colleges before posting.It seems that the census of opinion is much the same throughout.
We would remind you both that at present you show there are over 900 forum members, however counting back over the last 12months of post contributors it shows that less than 5% of those 900 have contributed anything at towards the forum whatsoever.
Of those 5% two thirds of them fly mostly glass ships purchased from a manufacture.These are either supplied with a ready made decal set which each will be the same or it is left to the individual to do his own thing.
Few,I repeat,few are in any way worried or even concerned that the decals are exactly to scale, some of us will purposely avoid them so as to make our model different from the next.We pop on our chosen design and then go and fly the thing which is what R.C. models are primarily made for.
Whether the colour yellow is the correct shade for the correct year of manufacture Ect leaves most normal modellers extremely cold and in rather a bewilderment as to what any one finally achieves from this fastidious type of modelling.
If indeed you are both looking for this type of fastidious modelling posts rather than the more usual "what do you all think of my new just thought up livery design for this year folk" posts than you better expect the contributor numbers to greatly fall as we come to realize we are posting on the wrong forum.
Also we discussed together where one thinks that 'real' scale fidelity starts and finishes. I.E.- has a modeller who worries whether he has the correct style lettering to go with his correct shade of coloring used his modelling license and changed the original full size aerofoil into a model type aerofoil to give a better flight performance? Has he increased the retract door size to allow a model size retract system to pass through?,Has he installed a steel bar through the fuselage as a wing joiner?,None of the above is fidelity to scaling the aircraft so we see absolutely no sense at all departing from scale in this way and then discussing many lengthy posts,not on the colour, but the minimal shade of colour for the decals.
We remember discussing my dear friend Pat Teakles Pik20 design on a different forum many years ago It was found that the cockpit cut out was too far forward of the wing roots. I put it to you both that I bet many manufactured designs are as non scale as that. So I ask is it OK to picture a bad unscale design as long as it has scale livery?
Having said all of the above, what we all did agree with is that we would help anyone defend the right to do what ever they wish in our beautiful hobby and would hope they wish the same.
Lastly but possibly not finally,as mentioned it is the 2/3 of the 5% of contributors that are the main stay of the forum. We see the scale decals/livery on finishing as a very small part of a very big hobby. So are we on the wrong forum Cliff?

Kind regards to all Terry White.( Purbeck Sailplanes)

Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans » 15 Nov 2019, 12:39

I am just glad that my eyesight is still good enough not to need such schemes yet!

VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC » 15 Nov 2019, 15:05

Terry

Thank you for the considered reply and correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought Purbeck used scale schemes on their advertised gliders. The Fox was a particularly attractive scale scheme.

I wish to make it absolutely clear that I have no complaints about anyone wanting to do whatever they want to whatever model they build. My only criticism as about models being portrayed as ‘Scale’ when they are clearly not and the livery was never intended to be. A good try at scale reproduction is to be applauded, but deliberate bastardisation is an affront to the very goals of what is stated at the top of every page on this website and forum.

We spend days and days making as sure as we can, that the detail of any plan that is available is as near scale silhouette as is possible with the information available. Indeed we go above and beyond to such an extent that we actually give back to manufacturers seemingly forever lost plans and data. This goes on in the background and maybe we should let you know about all the research. Take as other examples the discussion on the colours of Minimoas where I drew 3-views with the correct colour schemes 6 years ago following intensive research which has just been challenged and proved correct and the other thread where U criticised a ‘Blue’ Petrel when one never existed and all they had to do was reference the 9 historic colour schemes I had researched and drawn up. That makes me particularly pissed off and makes me wonder why I bother,

As far as the alluded threat to go to another forum, that is fine by me, because building Scale Models takes an interest in a particular glider that you want to accurately reproduce. Our plans are not for ‘Airfix’ children’s models - with due respect to the talents of many ‘Airfix’ serious modellers - and so people will join this forum to access our plans and a growing number are from overseas.

As for scale accuracy of models built, of course some things have to be accepted as non scale, such as wing sections, because we build flying models and not static. There is also the problem of buying a Glass model which may have incorrect detail for which there is nothing you can do about it, but knowing there is a discrepancy would be expected if you are serious about scale.

In conclusion, most modellers want something to look scale like, but deliberately making it a non scale livery, precludes it from the dictionary definition of scale. Build it that way by all means if it suits you, enjoy your flying as we all do, but don’t pretend it is scale and encourage others to go down that routs as you destroy strive for excellence