• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

self starters

Be kind to our tug pilots, we cant do without them.
Elliot Howells

self starters

Post by Elliot Howells »

Hi all,

looking to pick an engineers brains! I'm going to make a self starter for my DLE170, just because.

I've nicked the idea from MVVS, and using a bendix starter from a scooter it should be very easy to implement, I just need to know where to look for the gear ring that mounts to the prop driver - any ideas? Obviously I have to find the right pitch to match the starter but any clues to get me off and running would be very welcome.

Cheers, Ell.
SP250

Re: self starters

Post by SP250 »

Elliot

FEMA do a number of different on board electric starters and list the gears separately.
http://www.fema-modelltechnik.de/Neue_D ... 14_eng.pdf

John M
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Interesting the way FEMA is using a spragg bearing in the main toothed prop freewheel, does away with old fashioned Bendix method, very neat..

Antonia -(from her hospital bed) :(
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Antonia -(from her hospital bed) :(

Get well soon...

BC
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

I'm not mad keen ob the one way bearing system, it's fine if the bearing is in an oil bath, but anyone with a zenoah spring starter will know the horror of a dry bearing if it's not regularly lubricated...

The MVVS bendix system is simpler to implement and obviously disconnects drive when done, I just need to find the appropriate drive gear.

Get well soon Antonia, hope it's nothing serious.

Ell.
Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Elliot,

Not sure if you are thinking about a singe gear set, but you may struggle with that. The motor will have to be huge. The commercial ones have about a 50:1 reduction.

I have the clutch bearing on my Z62 starter, greased with the correct grease, and it has been on about 3 years with no problems. (Yet!!)

Your big motor will take some turning over.

BC
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

Barry, it's quite a pokey starter, I've bought one for a 50cc scooter to make a starter for a DLE 55 or MVVS 58 - whichever looks most useful at the time.

I'll attach a couple of pictures so you can see what I'm on about, much, much simpler than the EME system (essentially
33636BC1-1A5E-4D7A-89E3-BE63077A955C (1).jpeg
33636BC1-1A5E-4D7A-89E3-BE63077A955C (1).jpeg (47.66 KiB) Viewed 6590 times
a FEMA copy).
Ki18080.jpg
Ki18080.jpg (40.01 KiB) Viewed 6590 times
IMG_5067.JPG
IMG_5067.JPG (34.52 KiB) Viewed 6590 times
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

the starter itself has a couple of sets of reduction gears I think, then the reduction onto the big prop driver.

Unfortunately, the driven gear onto which the bendix engages seems to house an integral clutch mechanism on modern scooters, not like in my day, ooh my back, have you seen my teeth, I only put down a minute ago etc. etc.

Ell :)
Elliot Howells

Post by Elliot Howells »

the starter arrived today, it looks perfect, just need to source that starter ring...
Attachments
IMG_0893.jpg
IMG_0893.jpg (49.91 KiB) Viewed 6551 times
IanT-White

Post by IanT-White »

Elliot , I have two models fitted with Fiem starters , my two thirds scale WW1 Hanriot (400 watt ) and my two thirds Scheibe SF33 motor glider 250 watt
I made the ring from 1/4" by 6" bar dural 6082 T6 , cutting the teeth on my milling machine with a rotary table using an involute mod 1.75 mm no 2 cutter. The teeth seem to be standing up to the starts ok . Battery is from Stephans Lipo Shop Quantum SLS 4S 65C 5000MA with XT90 CONNECTOR
i have a 90 amp automotive relay operated via a microswitch on a d shaped servodisc/servo plus a manual switch breaking the coil circuit
Need to be careful
DSC_0302.jpg
DSC_0302.jpg (6.73 KiB) Viewed 6512 times
, lot of power available , KEEP BEHIND THE PROP WHEN BATTERY CONNECTED
The SF33 has a King 190ccflat twin , 16 teeth on the Fiem and 90 teeth on the motor gear, hope the above helps