Page 1 of 1

Wing retention

Posted: 28 Jun 2015, 16:44
by GordonT
OK, now that I think I have my wing joiner problem sorted out, my thoughts now turn to ensuring they stay where they're supposed to. The model is currently fitted with two hooks in each root rib which hold the wings on by passing elastic bands through the fuselage. I've used this system on previous models and, while it works OK, is a bit of a pain to assemble, particularly when there's two sets of bands involved. Surely there's a better way in this day and age? I did find a thread on the old forum which referenced a Graupner system, but the links died long ago and I can find nothing similar on the current Graupner website. Any suggestions for something simple and positive? BTW the model is a 4m SF28 Tandem Falke. Thanks!

Re: Wing retention

Posted: 28 Jun 2015, 16:58
by B Sharp
Gordon, I am currently using the wing locking units shown below. On my gliders up to 5.00 metres I use 2 wing locks on each wing. On smaller 3.00 metre and below gliders I use only one joiner. They reliably hold the wing in place, but they will release in the event of a hard, or sudden landing.

http://www.gliders.uk.com/MULITlico-Uni ... UL-725142/

Brian. :)

Posted: 28 Jun 2015, 17:22
by GordonT
Brian - Thanks. I saw those, but wasn't sure if they'd be positive enough for a larger model. I assume that you can get the wings off easily enough when you need to? I'll order some and see if they can easily be fitted.
On second thoughts, if they release in the event of a hard landing, they'll be releasing every time I fly it! :lol:

Posted: 28 Jun 2015, 18:17
by jimbo
Best I've found is a threaded rod fastened into the wing. Poke it through 3/4 inch through the wing fairing and fix with a wing nut. Job done. Strong and quick to fix.

Posted: 28 Jun 2015, 18:35
by B Sharp
Big problem with that Jimbo is that if you catch a wing tip on a tussock or clump of heather in my case you can tear the attachment right out of the wing. (been there - done that, Oh so many times). :x
Gordon, you get supplied with a small red wedge which is very effective at prising the wings apart. If you have a heavy landing and the fasteners pop out of place (as intended) it takes only a moment to pop them back securely into place again. :) :) :)
Brian. :)

Posted: 28 Jun 2015, 20:55
by jimbo
If you use plastic nuts and threaded rod they shear on a hard impact, you drill them out and replace. Simples!

Posted: 28 Jun 2015, 21:19
by spike spencer
"Hard landing" I understand but how do you define a "sudden landing" ? Are those the ones in which you experience deceleration sickness ?

Posted: 28 Jun 2015, 21:44
by Peter Balcombe
Gordon, I agree with Brian & I have recently started using these on my 4m PT Vega and 5m ASW20.
These both use 14mm steel joiner strip and 3mm rear incidence peg.
I am only using a single 3 ring locking peg just forward (about 25mm) of the main joiner.
This works well and needs the supplied wedge to help pop them off when de-rigging.

Posted: 29 Jun 2015, 11:31
by GordonT
Thanks for the help chaps - I'll give the plastic retainers a try and see how they go.

Jimbo - access to the inside is severely restricted by cockpit parts, otherwise I'd give your method a try.

Mark - Your linky appears to have been 'nobbled' - please check or remove. I did think about using springs between the hooks, but I feel they'd be as difficult to fit as bands.

Posted: 29 Jun 2015, 18:40
by Chris Veitch
Hi

I use Multiplex multi lock as described on the smaller 4m
m6 plastic bolts, bolted from the inside on larger, these sheer on hard landings and just screw out. You can cut a slot an screw them out at worst

Chris

Posted: 30 Jun 2015, 14:20
by GordonT
Thanks for the help chaps - received a set of Multiplex Multilocs this morning from Gliders - excellent service!
Are you all just using epoxy to bond the parts into the wings/fus?

Posted: 30 Jun 2015, 23:40
by Peter Balcombe
I have used 10 minute epoxy and this appears to be ok for fixing the mounts in the ply reinforced fuselage wing roots and the ply/hardwood reinforced wing roots.
Make sure that you read the instructions & all should be fine.
I used shiny surface adhesive tape over fuselage & wing root areas to act as release agent & this also worked fine. The tape was later removed and any traces of excess epoxy traces carefully removed/sanded off.

Posted: 01 Jul 2015, 08:22
by GordonT
OK, thanks Peter.

Posted: 01 Jul 2015, 16:15
by Peter Balcombe
Gordon,
Just happened to be using the epoxy I used to fix the wing retainers and found that it is a 30 minute variety rather than 10 minute as previously mentioned.
However, the installation instructions recommend using only 5 minute epoxy, so you can probably use whatever type you like in practice as far as bond strength is concerned.

Posted: 01 Jul 2015, 18:47
by stephen spittle
Hi Peter

Just like to say a big thanks again the skid is now back on and ready for the NLMFC glider event, thanks to you.

Stephen

Posted: 01 Jul 2015, 19:42
by Geoff Pearce
stephen spittle wrote:Hi Peter

Just like to say a big thanks again the skid is now back on and ready for the NLMFC glider event, thanks to you.

Stephen

Who's a lucky boy then! :lol:

Geoff

Posted: 02 Jul 2015, 15:12
by GordonT
Peter - OK re the epoxy, I shall probably use my favourite JB Weld.

Posted: 05 Jul 2015, 20:29
by FrankS
Just refurbing my 25+ year old PT HP18 and using the MPX wing retainers, I used epoxy and micro ballons, seems to have worked OK. I have then on a 2m warmliner, make sure you don't forget the plastic wedge to get the wings apart ;)

Posted: 06 Jul 2015, 10:39
by GordonT
FrankS - pity that you don't seem to be able to buy just the wedge on its own - I'm bound to lose it!

Mark - seems to me that if you enlarge that hole to make it easier to fit the wings, then it would also make it easier to remove the wings, which would be a rather undesirable occurrence if it happened in flight! If you should try it, do let us know the results.

Posted: 08 Jul 2015, 07:15
by cadavis
Bernie from e-soaring gadgets does the wing wedges on there own.

Colin

Posted: 08 Jul 2015, 10:58
by GordonT
Colin - Thanks for that, I'll order a couple of spares!