Don't forget to check your spam folder if you don't get an activation email after joining!!

Scratch built Pilatus B4 to 1/4 scale.

Let us all watch your new project progress.
B Sharp

Re: Scratch built Pilatus B4 to 1/4 scale.

Post by B Sharp »

I’ve been focusing on some of the fiddly bits today. I started with the canopy frame as I am expecting to get my newly pulled canopy mouldings back from Barry at Sarik in the next few days. It’s constructed from 3.5mm ply, held in place at the front with a 6mm dowel and at the rear with 4 x 10mm button magnets. The instrument binnacle has been shaped with balsa block and has then had 0.7mm plasticard wrapped round the shape to give a good flat surface and a slight overhang to the instrument panel.
I have started on the undercarriage doors by bending a piece of 1.0mm aluminium sheet round a form to achieve the curve of the bottom of the fuselage. I have created lips inside the fuselage front and rear of the opening so that the ali sheet sits flush with the fuselage surface. Once I have formed the hinge seats inside the fuselage I will cut the ali sheet in half to create the two doors.
Brian. :) :)
Attachments
Cockpit frame in place.
Cockpit frame in place.
Undercarriage doors during fitting process.
Undercarriage doors during fitting process.

Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Very nice Brian :)

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Its been a couple of weeks since I was able to show any progress on the B4. In the background I have wet & dry sanded the fuselage and the wings following the glass cloth and epoxy session.
I have also fitted the canopy glazing to the frame and painted it up. It is just as well that I ordered 2 canopy mouldings as I made a right pigs ear of fitting the first attempt! The trimming and fitting process went ok and it all looked good. However I used “canopy glue” to attach the glazing to the frame before taping it down securely – I THOUGHT! When I undid all the tape it was a right mess. Bits of the glazing were coming away from the frame, some sections had pulled squint and I ended up ripping it all off. :x :x :x I decided to use good old Evostik contact glue for the next attempt and it worked just fine. :?
I have a bit of cockpit detail still to do but I can see “PAINTING” approaching quite soon and I’m not looking forward to that. :cry: :cry:
By the way the more observant of you may have noticed that I have installed a new worktop to my workbench. I had to use Plywood as I couldn’t get hold of 18mm chipboard anywhere. Is chipboard the new toilet paper? :? :?
Brian.
Attachments
The completed canopy.
The completed canopy.

Barry_Cole

Post by Barry_Cole »

Is chipboard the new toilet paper? :? :?

I really hope not..............

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BC

B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Life is rough Barry!
Brian.