Page 1 of 1

Slingsby Falcon 1

Posted: 08 Mar 2020, 13:21
by john greenfield
Hi guys

With my Slingsby Falcon project almost complete I have found an interesting picture that seems to show a Falcon with wheels on it. It also has Lyons Tea on the side and wings.
I am hoping the experts on this site can provide some more info on this aircraft as I quite fancy finishing mine as per the full size. The wheels would help the tugs tow my 1/2 scale example off the ground. Were they fixed or did they drop off? All I have been able to ascertain so far is that it was flown by a Herr Krause who sounds German but Lyons Tea hints that it is in the UK.

Does anyone have any more details or pictures of this example?

Regards

AEB

Re: Slingsby Falcon 1

Posted: 08 Mar 2020, 14:44
by VinceC
This is one in camouflage colours

Posted: 08 Mar 2020, 14:46
by Cliff Evans
Here is a picture of the replica with a wheel arrangement.
675927.jpg
675940.jpg
3638643663_494c9bf689_o.jpg

Posted: 08 Mar 2020, 14:59
by VinceC
This is a drawing I did a few years back

Posted: 09 Mar 2020, 08:02
by john greenfield
Thanks Guys.

Vince
It looks like a fixed U/C on the Lyons Tea aircraft. Do you have any more info or pictures?
I assume that the aircraft was sponsored by Lyons Tea but why? With a German pilot was it actually a German Falke and not a Slingsby Falcon and why was it flying in the UK?

More research needed!!!

AEB

Posted: 09 Mar 2020, 08:15
by VinceC
John - I had the same questions of myself. I made the drawing about 5 years ago and I know I had other information about it, but a quick look proved illusive. I have one picture in particular in my mind I cannot find, but I will try again for you. Note that I found out that the Lyons company is not the same as the present day Lyons and they have nothing in their archives about the old company.

Gliding used to be a big public attraction and Lyons used to provide free tea at the displays. As regards the gliders origins, I am not sure who produced it, but several manufacturers in several countries built it from original design drawings, as did Slingsby. If you do a Google search, look under its continental name of Falke.

I will scratch my head and look again for you.

Posted: 09 Mar 2020, 08:46
by Peter Balcombe
Hi guys,
No doubt you are aware that the Falke/Slingsby Falcon is covered in pages 38 & 39 of The Worlds Vintage Sailplanes 1908-45 (Falke) and pages 10-15 of Slingsby Sailplanes, both by Martin Simons.
Only B&W photos shown. The Slingsby book shows one photo with what looks like ground handling wheels fitted to a seaplane variant intended for operations on & over Lake Windermere.
No pics of the Lyons Tea glider.
Peter

Posted: 09 Mar 2020, 13:03
by Peter Balcombe
A mention of the Lyons Tea Falke in the following thread.
https://jackrussellstales.weebly.com/ty ... alcon.html

Also a photo available on shutterstock showing the Lyons glider on a practice flight in 1931.
In this picture, the wheels are definitely part of the structure as the wing struts appear to go down to the wheel axles rather than the fuselage.

Posted: 09 Mar 2020, 13:05
by VinceC
I was just reading that when you posted

Posted: 09 Mar 2020, 13:20
by Peter Balcombe

Posted: 09 Mar 2020, 14:47
by VinceC
Excellent photo which confirms the built in undercarriage. The Pilot, Krause, is the guy in my drawing

Posted: 09 Mar 2020, 15:33
by VinceC
Just cleaned up the picture

Posted: 09 Mar 2020, 19:30
by VinceC
This is the Lyons Tea without undercarriage and a skid
Falke_2.jpg
The next is with no skid and undercarriage, but not clearly seen
Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 19.16.13.png
This is a typical public event where tea was served, the glider looks to be the 'Scarboro' 2 seater
Screenshot 2020-03-09 at 19.16.21.png

The following is a write up of a typical tea party public day
THE LYONS TEA GLIDING MEETINGS.jpg

Posted: 10 Mar 2020, 08:12
by john greenfield
Thanks Guys

Interesting stuff, but can anyone confirm what is written on the rudder?

By a strange coincidence, it seems I keep building gliders that are linked in some way. The Sproule Ivanoff Camel, I designed and Darren built was flown by John Sproule who was involved in the building of the replica Flacon in the 1980's and of course the Falke was designed by Alexander Lippisch and my last model was a Lippish Storch V.

Strange!!!?

Now to try and find the correct font for the lettering.

AEB

Posted: 10 Mar 2020, 08:15
by VinceC
I can't make out what is on the rudder, but will try again. So, to continue the Sproule theme, next build should be a Viking which he famously displayed for King George IV and finished by landing it at his feet

Posted: 10 Mar 2020, 09:06
by Peter Balcombe
Another view of a Herr Krause in the Falke, taken shortly after the earlier launch photo.
http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft34423.htm

Posted: 10 Mar 2020, 09:29
by Peter Balcombe
An old copy (1981) of Sailplane & Gliding which contains a report of the first Cross Channel gliding competition on page 116.
Only Krause & Kronfield flew, with Kronfield succeeding.
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/bga- ... l+1981.pdf

Krause was hired by Lyons Tea to give gliding demonstrations around the U.K. in the Falke prior to the channel attempt which was to take place on a pre-arranged date.

Posted: 11 Mar 2020, 08:11
by john greenfield
VinceC wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 08:15 I can't make out what is on the rudder, but will try again. So, to continue the Sproule theme, next build should be a Viking which he famously displayed for King George IV and finished by landing it at his feet
Vince
Good idea but another twist to this story. Krause was beaten in the cross channel flight by Kronfield and he flew the Wien, which I have also built at 1/2 scale

This story gets more interesting the deeper we dig.

Peter

Thanks for the additional info....keep it coming.

AEB

Posted: 11 Mar 2020, 12:16
by Peter Balcombe
Further mention of Krause & Lyons Tea gliders in Chapters 4 & 5.
It sounds as if there were two different gliders used by Lyons, although only one Falke.
https://www.bfgc.co.uk/BFGC%20History.pdf

Posted: 11 Mar 2020, 13:43
by VinceC
What an excellent write up, thanks for that link. Yes, there were 2 aircraft used by Lyons, the Falke and the 'Scarboro' which was a Kassel Hercules, but distinct in that it had a higher set tailplane than the Hercules. The Scarboro is in the photo above repeated here
Lyons Tea.jpg
Another piece of interesting information is that a glider was designed by R.F. Stedman from the Bradford G.C., but it was an exact copy of the Scarboro
Stedman.jpg

Posted: 12 Mar 2020, 07:17
by Philkiteflyer
john greenfield wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 08:12 Thanks Guys

Interesting stuff, but can anyone confirm what is written on the rudder?
Could it the word COMPANY.
That would make the full name "Lyons Tea Company"

Maybe . . . . ?

Phillip C

Posted: 12 Mar 2020, 08:43
by VinceC
Good try John, but I think the word 'COMPANY' is too long. After trying to plot it out, it would sum there is only enough room for a maximum of 2 letters ahead of 'ANY' and possibly only one

Posted: 12 Mar 2020, 09:03
by Martin G
From the caption on one of the photos in the first post, could the lettering on the rudder read, "TEANY"?

Posted: 12 Mar 2020, 09:11
by VinceC
That's clever. Here's a try

Posted: 12 Mar 2020, 22:24
by VinceC
From Richard Cawsey comes the confirmation of "Teaney" and from Bob Baker he suggested you are correct with "Teany" as this was what the glider was christened. Over to you John

Posted: 13 Mar 2020, 08:45
by john greenfield
Thanks guys, Teany does seem to fit both is word length and also "logic" in that there is a clear link to Lyons Tea.

Vince
The font you used in the overlays looks to be about right. I spent some time yesterday trying to find what font was used but have not come up with anything as close as the one you used. Can you tell me what font you used?

AEB

Posted: 13 Mar 2020, 08:46
by VinceC
I created it manually, I can post the files for you shortly

Posted: 13 Mar 2020, 09:23
by VinceC
John, here are 3 file formats for the wording

Posted: 13 Mar 2020, 10:51
by john greenfield
Thanks Vince.

A mine of information as usual.

Much appreciated.

AEB

Posted: 13 Mar 2020, 19:49
by Paul_Williams
Fascinating bit of research by all concerned.
paul

Posted: 17 Mar 2020, 08:22
by john greenfield
I have decided to go ahead and finish my Falcon in the Lyons Tea livery. Pyramid models are cutting the paint masks as they are too big for our own Barry Cole to cut (but thanks for the offer)
The question is, What color would the lettering have been. Logic says black but does anyone have any firm information as to the exact colour?

Regards

AEB

Posted: 17 Mar 2020, 08:33
by VinceC
Always a difficult one, black is safe or dark blue from the background of their adverts.

Posted: 17 Mar 2020, 15:16
by Geoff Pearce
Does this mean a good tea supply at the meetings?

It's going to look different

G

Posted: 17 Mar 2020, 16:55
by john greenfield
Geoff Pearce wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 15:16 Does this mean a good tea supply at the meetings?

It's going to look different

G
Could have been but the Lyons Tea company that sponsored the aircraft is no longer in business !!!!

You will have to brew your own tea and use your imagination !!!?

AEB