• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Chris Foss Phase 5

All non-scale topis should go in here for discussion.
Mike F

Re: Chris Foss Phase 5

Post by Mike F »

Hi, Here is and overall view of the Phase 5 showing progress to date.

Wing halves yet to be joined and finished. Also, gear to be installed and other minor finishing work to be completed.

If I were building this model again, I would keep use a wing joiner system as this would make for easier transport and workshop handling.
Attachments
Chris Foss Phase 5 loosely assembled
Chris Foss Phase 5 loosely assembled
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Got to the point in construction where all the small jobs have to be completed.

Spent some time adding the wing/fuselage pegs and fitting the fairing to cover pegs and blend in with the canopy line, as shown in the photos.
Attachments
Wing pegs set up and aligned to Fuselage
Wing pegs set up and aligned to Fuselage
Ply fairing added to wing pegs
Ply fairing added to wing pegs
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Progress continues as the dark nights arrive.

Having joined the wing halves, I continued to work on the fitting of the inner and outer ailerons. Since I wanted to incorporate a flap function I increased the chamfer on the inner flap leading edge and also added a little more chamfer to the wing trailing edge spar. I made up a small sanding jig to try and improve the consistency of the chamfers.

A dry fit seems to show a reasonable amount of downward movement will be available. No having flown a Phase 5 I don't know how useful this additional feature will be. What do you think Robbie?

The rudder and AMT servos have also been added. I placed them as far forward as I could whilst also ensuring that I could also get the receiver power pack right up front.

I am at a point now where all the building is pretty much complete, except for the aileron control horns. I am thinking that the outer aileron push rods can be completely enclosed. Not sure yet if I can do the same for the inner ailerons.

I have made the servo hatches using small magnets to hold them in place.

Next big decision, what colour scheme to use?
Attachments
AMT & Rudder Servos Installed
AMT & Rudder Servos Installed
Centering Wing and Trailing Edge
Centering Wing and Trailing Edge
Magnetic Servo Hatches
Magnetic Servo Hatches
magnetic servo hatches.jpg (14.32 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
Increasing Chamfer to Increase Inner Aileron Movement
Increasing Chamfer to Increase Inner Aileron Movement
Dry Fit Showing aileron/Flap movement
Dry Fit Showing aileron/Flap movement
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

After a far too long a pause, I have started to cover to underside wing using Oratex.
Attachments
20210128_221853.jpg
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

At long last the Phase 5 is finished and flight ready. The model weighs in at 1400g with 150g of lead in the nose.

The Phase 5 decals were provided by our Barry Cole and went on very nicely, thanks Barry!

The model is covered with Oracover and the fluorescent orange is very bright. Now looking forward to getting it in the air.
Attachments
20210216_120812.jpg
20210216_120733.jpg
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Well done Mike! I hope you have strong sun glasses for flying that one!!!
Brian. :D
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi

Thanks Brian! On less than perfect visibility flying days, I am better able to see orange aircraft. I built this one especially for that type of day. Perhaps I have gone overboard with the orange colour.

On the plus side, my wife likes it!
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Phase 5 maiden 16.03.2021
Phase 5 maiden 16.03.2021
Hi

Yesterday, I maidened the Phase 5.

With a N Westerly blowing at 12 - 14 mph I went to Cleeve Hill for the first flights. Launched the Phase 5 and she took a steady glide path pretty much trimmed out, which was reassuring. After a few beats up along the slope she was flying pretty much hands off. I was expecting the model to fly a little quicker than she did, given that the conditions were as light as they were. Current flying weight is 3 1/4lb. I wonder if more ballast is needed?

Landings were equally uneventful, flying down wind with a bit more speed when turning to land the glide path steepened without the need to use the flaps at all.

Very happy with the fluorescent orange scheme, she stands out very well in the air.

Cheers
Mike
RobbieB

Post by RobbieB »

Mike,
I found exactly the same with my Phase 5 many years ago now. I ended up with half a pound of lead epoxied under the wing on the CG with provision for more in a good blow. Absolutely transformed it.
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi Robbie

Thanks for your comments on ballast. I've got some 100g lead blocks to experiment with next time. The ballast box is located on the C of G.

Regards
Mike