• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Chris Foss Phase 5

All non-scale topis should go in here for discussion.
Mike F

Re: Chris Foss Phase 5

Post by Mike F »

Hi
More than half a year after completing the Chris Foss Phase 5, I have some flying shoots of it, thanks to photographer and fellow Cleeve Hill slope flyer, John Habgood.

Photos were taken on Wednesday, 6 October in a 12 mph westerly.

Regards
Mike
Attachments
_RIV6809.jpg
_RIV6811.jpg
_RIV6818.jpg
_RIV6842.jpg
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Lovely photos Mike - very reminiscent of the simple joys of sloping. It's about time I dusted off my 35 year old Phase 6. For years it was pretty much all I flew, then scale gliders came along.
Attachments
P6.jpg
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Yes, Chris Foss seems to have designed a model range that has stood the test of time, are inexpensive to build and fly well.

Your Phase 6 colour scheme looks great.

Mike
Jolly Roger

Post by Jolly Roger »

Mike F wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 09:48 Yes, Chris Foss seems to have designed a model range that has stood the test of time, are inexpensive to build and fly well.

Your Phase 6 colour scheme looks great.

Mike
Yes it's an enduring design. I have both the Sport wing (Eppler 205) and the Professional wing (fully symmetrical). I've never had much joy with the pro-version - it seemed to need a lot of lift to stay up. Mind you I was 15 and made a right mess of glassing the wing, so that could be it.

The E205 version has flown in anything from flat calm to 30mph. It weighs less than 40 oz, but can take ballast up to 60 oz. It's on its second fuselage and has a plug-in tailplane to ease transport.

The colourscheme was copied from the kit box. :D

I think I'll be heading into the loft this afternoon...
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Yes, do it Roger.

If I were to build a Phase 5 or Phase 6 again, I would build separate wing halves, again for ease of transport. additional weight not really an issue.

Mike