Page 1 of 1

Another new german member

Posted: 27 Feb 2021, 17:02
by physlehrer
Hi,
my name is Uli, 71 years old, have been math and physics teacher until I retired.
I'm interested in vintage gliders, especially in wooden ones. I got a CAD mill and I already have built a Slingsby Sedbergh, but smaller as in the plans of Jill Smits, and just now I'm building a Slingsby Tandem Tutor in 1:3

And oh yes, I am married, I got two adult children, and neither my wife nor one of my children is interested in model airplanes (sigh)

I live in the southern part of Germany, I do both thermal and slope soaring.

Re: Another new german member

Posted: 27 Feb 2021, 17:29
by chris williams
Welcome, Uli...

Posted: 27 Feb 2021, 23:15
by Cliff Evans
Welcome to our community Uli.

Posted: 02 Mar 2021, 19:53
by paulj
Welcome Uli!

It's a lovely part of Germany you come from - I am sure you have some fantastic conditions for flying, at least from the spring onwards!

I am working part time, and work with a client in Herzogenaurach, but the current restrictions prevent travel to Germany. I worked for Toyota for 20 years, and was often in Ingolstadt working with Continental - not so far from you I think!

Posted: 07 Mar 2021, 12:51
by John Mcnamara
Hi Uli,
The Tandem Tutor is a very interesting subjetc for me because as a 16 year old Air Cadet I learned to fly gliders in one of those. We just called it the "Mark 3". Very benign to fly, but the performance of a manhole cover. I also learned initialy in a T21 Sedburgh, which we nicknamed the "Barge". Again very benign and although heavy your could thermal one of those.
I also have a krick kit but of a Grunau Baby to build some time. It will be my second Grunau because I built one from a plan 25 years ago. I no longer own it but it still flies today.
I am currently building another German kit from Aeronaut, the Founier RF4.
I am retired from my full time job now but I worked for a German printing company in Bavaria for 13 Years. It was based in Schwandorf, which was a 20 minute drive from wonderful Regensburg. I spent a lot of time in this city and I love the place.
John