Page 1 of 1

Future of the forum

Posted: 10 May 2021, 09:03
by Cliff Evans
I am seriously considering making the forum subscription based. There are 817 members of which 127 are donors. That is 127 people that have contributed to the upkeep of the site, that is 690 that get a "free ride" and access to all benefits. Subscription based will make it fairer for all and all subscribers will have full access. The subscription will be set at £5 per person per year. It will limit access to things such as downloads and certain topics to non subscribers. I would like opinions on this in the form of a vote that way it is anonymous.

This will not happen until January 2022

Please vote one way or the other above.

Re: Future of the forum

Posted: 10 May 2021, 15:16
by mjcp
Tricky one:

As a "new user" had there been a "pay to play" fee, I would not have paid - I would have no way of evaluating the value.

As an "experienced user", I probably would.

Alas, I doubt 800 odd members (not sure how many are active) would be enough to get meaningful advertising revenue of a target specific type - e.g. a vendor paying to advertise specifically on the site, regularly. Thus, "normal" advertising will be just annoying to the readership... those who don't just block the ads that is! And scatter gun ads won't give good returns, so the share of revenue will be low there too...

If you then require a pay to play fee too, the membership level is likely to reduce, so your "benefit" to advertisers reduces too. A catch 22.

Might require some back office work, but how about 1st year free, renewal (same email addy) is £5. You still restrict the plans access in the same way as now, but in a year the member has hopefully realised the benefit of the community by then and happily spends £5.

Posted: 10 May 2021, 16:29
by Phil_Taylor
Cliff Evans wrote: 10 May 2021, 09:03 I am seriously considering making the forum subscription based. There are 817 members of which 127 are donors. That is 127 people that have contributed to the upkeep of the site, that is 690 that get a "free ride" and access to all benefits. Subscription based will make it fairer for all and all subscribers will have full access. The subscription will be set at £5 per person per year. It will limit access to things such as downloads and certain topics to non subscribers. I would like opinions on this in the form of a vote that way it is anonymous.

This will not happen until January 2022

Please vote one way or the other above.
Sorry - dont understand what you mean? - its not clear from the above - especially the last bit.
Is it
a. Like now but only subscribers can access the most valuable bits e.g. downloads
b. The whole forum is subscription only. No pay = no see
c. Something else.

Phil.

Posted: 10 May 2021, 16:32
by Cliff Evans
mjcp wrote: 10 May 2021, 15:16 Tricky one:

As a "new user" had there been a "pay to play" fee, I would not have paid - I would have no way of evaluating the value.

As an "experienced user", I probably would.

Alas, I doubt 800 odd members (not sure how many are active) would be enough to get meaningful advertising revenue of a target specific type - e.g. a vendor paying to advertise specifically on the site, regularly. Thus, "normal" advertising will be just annoying to the readership... those who don't just block the ads that is! And scatter gun ads won't give good returns, so the share of revenue will be low there too...

If you then require a pay to play fee too, the membership level is likely to reduce, so your "benefit" to advertisers reduces too. A catch 22.

Might require some back office work, but how about 1st year free, renewal (same email addy) is £5. You still restrict the plans access in the same way as now, but in a year the member has hopefully realised the benefit of the community by then and happily spends £5.
Marc, thanks for your comments, they are noted. Adverts are not the way forward for us as they would attract taxation which we do not want to get into whereas a £5 per year charge to cover the costs of running is I do not think too much to ask. I just want a fairer way of running this site without costing those that do use and value it too much. Now I know those of you that do contribute to it of your own choice but, it is not fair for the 127 to prop up 817 and rising. The other thing I was looking at was perhaps using anything collected over the cost of running the site to perhaps hire somewhere for an annual SSUK Aerotow.
I have looked at some members on here, there are many that have been members for a long time, 7/8 years or so that have never even answered a post! Something needs to change and all I am doing is testing the water to get some idea of how we can move on.

Posted: 10 May 2021, 17:31
by Trevor
As long as non-subscribers can read the postings, that should be enough for them to decide whether to join. In some ways I would prefer a £5 subscription to the present voluntary donation arrangement - at least I’d know I’ll get a reminder when It’s time to renew!

Posted: 10 May 2021, 18:40
by Pat Marsden
As an existing donor I would be quite happy to see the forum run on a subscription basis. Prospective new members could be given a 30 day trial period FOC at which point they either paid the £5 or didnt get any further access. Lets face it though, £5 for all that the website offers? Its a no brainer to me.

Posted: 10 May 2021, 19:36
by Martin G
I am in agreement with Trevor.

Posted: 11 May 2021, 00:18
by BrianF
Also with Trevor.
RCSB (Scale Builder) works that way, a non subscriber can still read through posts, has a posting limit, can learn, build interest and decide if that's what they want, but the resource side, like walkarounds, files, archived threads etc. are paid subscriber only.
That is value a Facebook page doesn't do well. FB is a format that competes with this type of forum for modeller's interest and time. "Forums" over here are now FB pages, I find them very frustrating to look through as it is about what just happened rather than what someone did over time, and that is a compelling reason for why I joined here. We need to attract newbies to this branch of the hobby and to this information format. I was a long time watcher here, with stops and starts, before this facet of aeromodelling became my prime interest.
In a way, someone just having a look around is still contributing to the hobby if that interest gets fostered by this forum and they build something, turn up at a field and start flying and eventually post those experiences here, which is the ultimate goal isn't it?

As to forum running costs, that does means a gap between someone finding the forum and getting them to fork out some money, some won't. (But some like me, could get to it later.) As my builder father used to say "not every quote ends up as a job". That is where the sweetener to commit can be the back-end resources and a reasonable fee to unlock that value is a fair call.

Posted: 11 May 2021, 09:26
by Phil_Taylor
Excellent post from BrianF there
All the glider forums are much quieter now than they were 10 years ago - surely we should be encouraging membership - not looking to put people off by making it a paid subscription for membership.
The OP said:
There are 817 members of which 127 are donors. That is 127 people that have contributed to the upkeep of the site, that is 690 that get a "free ride" and access to all benefits.
Theres actually a lot more people than that on a "free ride". Take a look at who is online at any time - you will probably see two or three times as many guests as members. Is that a bad thing? - no - its not - as Brian has explained - its people who are looking in with a potential interest in scale gliders - and who may become more interested in this fascinating hobby as a result of the forum.
I would still like clarification of what we are actually voting on here - what is being proposed seems to be (but I'm not sure)
- membership becomes subscription only - for active participants
- the forum stays "open" for viewing to the whole world - as it is now - for all the free-ride guests

As Brian has said, and I hinted earlier - there is another way - that is to keep membership free as at present, but to have effectively a subscription "gold" membership which gives access to the most valuable parts e.g. plan downloads.
Hope all that makes sense?
Phil.

Posted: 13 May 2021, 11:45
by Mark Wilcockson
I'm going to be unpopular here as I am one of the people getting "free ride" long terms member. I browse occasionally and rarely comment but enjoy the builds and take notice of the good service section and tend to support those businesses with my purchases.

If forced would I pay a subscription even at the low level of £5 - no

Would I voluntary support if asked - probably yes

For one of my other hobbies I am a member of three forums. The first one the leading forum in the UK is free and was very active. I used the classified section and as a result of selling a few things decided to sponsor the forum £15 per year and a way of giving back and recognising the benefit. Sadly the moderators/owners decided to try to cash in on the membership and started charging to advertise in the classified section. Whilst this did not affect me as a sponsor I disagreed and have cancelled my membership going forward.

Much of the long established membership also agreed and voted with their feet, left and set up a new forum on much more friendly basis. I donated to the set up costs of the new forum and continue to do so. It's totally voluntary but I am happy to support as nobody is telling me what to do to get access.

The money is not the issue to me its the principle

Now I am not suggesting this will happen here but I do feel with a subscription based access you will get smaller and smaller number of members as time passes. This hobby needs to attract more members not do things to put people off.

My suggestion would to be open with the annual costs, I have no idea what they are and have an annual fund raise. Generating a surplus to fund an event is of no interest.

Mark

Posted: 13 May 2021, 13:45
by Cliff Evans
Mark Wilcockson wrote: 13 May 2021, 11:45 I'm going to be unpopular here as I am one of the people getting "free ride" long terms member. I browse occasionally and rarely comment but enjoy the builds and take notice of the good service section and tend to support those businesses with my purchases.

If forced would I pay a subscription even at the low level of £5 - no

Would I voluntary support if asked - probably yes

For one of my other hobbies I am a member of three forums. The first one the leading forum in the UK is free and was very active. I used the classified section and as a result of selling a few things decided to sponsor the forum £15 per year and a way of giving back and recognising the benefit. Sadly the moderators/owners decided to try to cash in on the membership and started charging to advertise in the classified section. Whilst this did not affect me as a sponsor I disagreed and have cancelled my membership going forward.

Much of the long established membership also agreed and voted with their feet, left and set up a new forum on much more friendly basis. I donated to the set up costs of the new forum and continue to do so. It's totally voluntary but I am happy to support as nobody is telling me what to do to get access.

The money is not the issue to me its the principle

Now I am not suggesting this will happen here but I do feel with a subscription based access you will get smaller and smaller number of members as time passes. This hobby needs to attract more members not do things to put people off.

My suggestion would to be open with the annual costs, I have no idea what they are and have an annual fund raise. Generating a surplus to fund an event is of no interest.

Mark
I have been "open" with the costs see here. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2923

I have already been told that prices will be going up as usage is quite high. If you look at other forums which I have done, the costs are around £15 - £20 per year for All access, yes, some ask for donations as we have been doing but, I really do not think £5 per year is a lot and it was just a suggestion that if there was a surplus we could use it to perhaps have an event or pay the tug pilots that enable us to fly at aero tow meets. My intention is not to "Cash in" but have it all as fair as possible which in my humble opinion is not what it is at present.

Posted: 13 May 2021, 14:08
by Mark Wilcockson
Cliff I was not suggesting your intention was to cash in here, I was referring to the other forum I no longer support. My view is contributions should be voluntary, the amount is irrelevant, but that seems to go against the poll so far

Ultimately its your decision, I'm only an infrequent visitor

Posted: 13 May 2021, 16:00
by barry h
Fine by me. That's less than 10 pence per week. Where else could you get that .
Great work Cliff. Count me in.
Barry

Posted: 13 May 2021, 17:49
by simon_t
I am a donor but have voted against subscription - my rationale is that any subscription will likely dramatically reduce the number of forum members, and ultimately that reduces the richness of discussion and input that makes this a great forum. Would I like more to donate? Of course, but a donation is just that, it is a personal decision. I don’t really look at what I pay in terms of fairness against others who don’t donate - I purely look at it from the viewpoint of the value my donation brings to me. I do agree with previous comments though, that non-donors should not have the same access to plans, 3-views etc. that donors should.

Simon

Posted: 16 May 2021, 23:01
by Martin Dee
I suppose that as nothing will come of nothing, it is almost inevitable that a minority interest forum will need to support itself by a formalised modest subscription arrangement. It is likely that the age of free (or apparently free) information is now drawing to a close. However, in adopting the subscription route, the benefits of membership vs 'drop in' need to be significant and clearly set out. In addition, some regard should be given to the marketing/improvement of the site in terms of a knowledge capture/resource centre to attract future would be members. While the old lags may feel quite comfortable with present offer, new punters are always going to take the 'wasinit formeee?' approach

I do have to say that the past voluntary route could have been a bit more 'in yer face' I am fairly sure I did contribute something last year, but I cant remember when or how much. What I do remember is I spent ages looking for a big red 'DONATE NOW' button to press, only to find it was minute text hidden away in the small print.

It would be a sad day if this resource was lost, one hopes that the enthusiasts will continue to support and nurture it for as long as possible.

Posted: 17 May 2021, 20:10
by MDev
Cliff, I am of the opinion that since you do the work you should have a major say how you’d like it run, I have no argument with this site and how it’s run. If it goes to a subscription, then that’s ok by me. I do feel that if you could find a way of reducing the workload you should.
Keep up the good work.
M

Posted: 17 May 2021, 20:27
by Chris Hurst
simon_t wrote: 13 May 2021, 17:49 I am a donor but have voted against subscription - my rationale is that any subscription will likely dramatically reduce the number of forum members, and ultimately that reduces the richness of discussion and input that makes this a great forum. Would I like more to donate? Of course, but a donation is just that, it is a personal decision. I don’t really look at what I pay in terms of fairness against others who don’t donate - I purely look at it from the viewpoint of the value my donation brings to me. I do agree with previous comments though, that non-donors should not have the same access to plans, 3-views etc. that donors should.

Simon
I am also a donor and agree 100% with everything Simon has said above.

In addition to donations, which I am happy to continue from time to time, could some income not be generated from advertising? That too would be dependant on keeping as large a readership as possible.

Posted: 18 May 2021, 09:00
by jimbo
Have you thought about this site?
https://www.patreon.com/
Dont be put off by the focus on creative art, i think it could apply also to other stuff. It would probably manage the collection of monies as well.
People are able to sponsor the site what they want (smaller or larger amounts) and get access to the premium content. You could create price tiers/plans etc. Enforcing a subscription seems a big hassle to recuperate the £75 per year hosting costs, which should be avoided IMO considering there is likely to be considerable decline in activity in an already declining hobby.

Posted: 18 May 2021, 09:25
by Cliff Evans
jimbo wrote: 18 May 2021, 09:00 Have you thought about this site?
https://www.patreon.com/
Dont be put off by the focus on creative art, i think it could apply also to other stuff. It would probably manage the collection of monies as well.
People are able to sponsor the site what they want (smaller or larger amounts) and get access to the premium content. You could create price tiers/plans etc. Enforcing a subscription seems a big hassle to recuperate the £75 per year hosting costs, which should be avoided IMO considering there is likely to be considerable decline in activity in an already declining hobby.
We don't need to change anything like hosting, I can do everything from here. Not sure where that figure of £75 comes from for hosting per year! I wish! The problem we have is that we have a lot of traffic and bandwidth usage which puts the hosting costs up. I could move the site every year to different hosting and get the introductory offer, but that would be counterproductive and a real pain in the proverbial! I am inclined at present to keep as is but may have to look at changing to subscription at some point.

Posted: 18 May 2021, 11:12
by Peter Balcombe
Hopefully a lot more forum members will respond to cast a vote as 40 out of 800+ is a drop in the ocean so far & definitely cannot be said to be a fair representation of the membership.
However, there are costs involved in keeping the forum running, so funds obviously need to be found from somewhere for it to continue.
Personally, I see the forum as a valuable resource for interest and knowledge & have always been happy to make a donation, but it does peeve me no end that most people these days seem to expect to just sit back & take.
However, that unfortunately seems to be representative of a general trend in today’s culture.

The holy grail would be to find a way to find a way to keep the forum going without losing its attraction to interested parties, but also stop the unscrupulous ones ripping off the information available.

Posted: 18 May 2021, 12:33
by simon_t
Peter Balcombe wrote: 18 May 2021, 11:12 Hopefully a lot more forum members will respond to cast a vote as 40 out of 800+ is a drop in the ocean so far & definitely cannot be said to be a fair representation of the membership.
However, there are costs involved in keeping the forum running, so funds obviously need to be found from somewhere for it to continue.
Personally, I see the forum as a valuable resource for interest and knowledge & have always been happy to make a donation, but it does peeve me no end that most people these days seem to expect to just sit back & take.
However, that unfortunately seems to be representative of a general trend in today’s culture.

The holy grail would be to find a way to find a way to keep the forum going without losing its attraction to interested parties, but also stop the unscrupulous ones ripping off the information available.
I think that is simple - subscription for those that want full (Gold) access and free for those that just want to chat. Cliff can set the subscription to ensure it comfortably covers his costs and it might take away any worries about having to appeal for an influx of money to cover costs. I am surprised, and a little disappointed, that there are a few quite active folks who don’t appear to have donated, yet they likely have several thousand pounds worth of gliders (there - Ive said it now!).

I’m happy for Cliff to decide how he wants to fund this forum.

Simon

Posted: 19 May 2021, 08:27
by john greenfield
I have been watching this post with interest from the sidelines to see what others views are.
This website and forum is an invaluable resource and also a source of great inspiration and learning and it must be continued. I am happy with subscription. contribution or any other suggestion to raise the necessary funds to keep it going. I have not voted in the poll as I do not have any strong opinion either way but I do pledge my support whichever way it goes.

AEB

Posted: 19 May 2021, 08:48
by Cliff Evans
john greenfield wrote: 19 May 2021, 08:27 I have been watching this post with interest from the sidelines to see what others views are.
This website and forum is an invaluable resource and also a source of great inspiration and learning and it must be continued. I am happy with subscription. contribution or any other suggestion to raise the necessary funds to keep it going. I have not voted in the poll as I do not have any strong opinion either way but I do pledge my support whichever way it goes.

AEB
Thanks John. As you know, I appreciate your support very much.

Posted: 20 May 2021, 22:04
by Chris Veitch
Cliff

Firstly thanks for all you do to support site.

I am always happy to contribute, but at times when I am busy I have not seen the request before the target is met.

I am not in favour of subscription only restrictions as that goes against the spirit of everything we are about. We always as a group encourage other flyers and we do need to get more people into the hobby. I particularly reflect on the younger or retired generations who are not as able to pay as some of the rest of us.

If we can fund it from those who are willing let’s continue the philanthropy.

If a request is put out for funding can I suggest that an email is sent to all members as that will reach the occasional visitors and should generate more funds.

Happy to help out as required, I have just donated to support this position.

Thanks
Chris

Posted: 20 May 2021, 22:56
by Cliff Evans
ChrisV wrote: 20 May 2021, 22:04 Cliff

Firstly thanks for all you do to support site.

I am always happy to contribute, but at times when I am busy I have not seen the request before the target is met.

I am not in favour of subscription only restrictions as that goes against the spirit of everything we are about. We always as a group encourage other flyers and we do need to get more people into the hobby. I particularly reflect on the younger or retired generations who are not as able to pay as some of the rest of us.

If we can fund it from those who are willing let’s continue the philanthropy.

If a request is put out for funding can I suggest that an email is sent to all members as that will reach the occasional visitors and should generate more funds.

Happy to help out as required, I have just donated to support this position.

Thanks
Chris
Chris, I appreciate your comments and can assure you that they have been taken on board. And thank you very much :o

Posted: 20 May 2021, 23:03
by Cliff Evans
Although the poll indicates that there is support for subscription based membership, I am overwhelmed by the generosity of some members and their pragmatic approach to the interests of others and have decided to keep as is for the time being but with the new "Gold Member" position in place that allows only Gold Members to download plans, 3-views and 3D suppository. The 3d-depository will be build up from my collection and other donated files.

Posted: 10 Feb 2023, 13:36
by Cliff Evans
Donations are down quite considerably fo last year. To the point that it cost me. I am now of the opinion that the only way to pay for the upkeep is to make this a subscription-based forum. Not really what I wish to do but, it may be necessary.

I have opened this thread for further discussion. Please feel free to comment.

Posted: 11 Feb 2023, 11:52
by chris williams
Apologies, Cliff, completely forgot all about it. Might be an idea to post a reminder at the beginning of each new year...?

cw

Posted: 11 Feb 2023, 12:12
by Barry_Cole
Cliff,
Put a reminder across the top of the page, that should get things moving.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC

Posted: 11 Feb 2023, 12:46
by Mike F
Cliff,
Thanks for the reminder.
Mike

Posted: 11 Feb 2023, 17:26
by Elliot Howells
I can't even view the classifieds, so can I assume we're now on a subs basis? That's fine by me, just can't see a link to the paypal or whatever?

Cheers, Ell.

Posted: 11 Feb 2023, 17:55
by Barry_Cole
Elliot Howells wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 17:26 I can't even view the classifieds, so can I assume we're now on a subs basis? That's fine by me, just can't see a link to the paypal or whatever?

Cheers, Ell.
No reason that you should not be able to see the classifieds, just click the donations link at the top of the main page.

BC

Posted: 11 Feb 2023, 18:00
by Andrew Ray
I am only an occasional visitor and have missed the banner reminder to donate, I need an email. I do find the resources, help and advice that SSUK offers invaluable. On that basis I would certainly subscribe and would prefer it to donating. I just find the donation idea too vague (how much to donate?). Paying a subscription then I would presumably get an email reminder? That'd be great 👍

I too cannot access the classifieds and now feel like I've done something wrong.

Andrew

Posted: 12 Feb 2023, 12:16
by Cliff Evans
Must have been some sort of glitch but, have tested Andrew and Elliot's settings and all is well. Please try again. Nobody has done anything wrong!!

Posted: 14 Feb 2023, 06:31
by Philkiteflyer
Cliff Evans wrote: 10 Feb 2023, 13:36 Donations are down quite considerably fo last year. To the point that it cost me. I am now of the opinion that the only way to pay for the upkeep is to make this a subscription-based forum. Not really what I wish to do but, it may be necessary.

I have opened this thread for further discussion. Please feel free to comment.
As mentioned, (email) I am not a fan of subscription - but happy to send a donation. DONE !
Yes I agreee - banner a message when funds get low.

Best wishes
Phillip Cook
New Zealand