• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

EON Olympia 419

Mike F

Re: EON Olympia 419

Post by Mike F »

Hi Brian or anyone else,

Regarding the Corona servos, have you used any of the HV range? They all seem to be extraordinary value.

Rgds
Mike
SP250

Post by SP250 »

Chucked one out for Martyn Kinder as it sounded like a bag of spanners, but was still working. Mind you, his wing had been in a maize crop for months before it was returned to me from the farmer! But a couple of local power modelers have used them - seemingly ok. As you usually get what you pay for, let us know how you get on with them please.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Yes Mike, the DS538 is an HV servo. My most recent models have been powered by a 2S LiFe battery and a regulator set to 6 volts. This allows me to use std servos and receiver as well as HV servos.
Brian. :)

As I said before, I have a variety of them in 3 models up to 3 years old without any problems so far. More than I can say for my Hitec equipped models. :x
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Brian & John

Thanks for your comments.

I think I will try them in the Slingsby Sky when it has been tidied up.

Mike F
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Any word on its origins yet Mike, it looks in pretty good condition in your photos.
Brian.
Mike F

Post by Mike F »

Hi Brian

I will answer under the Slingsby Sky postings... I don't want to clog up your thread.

Thanks
Mike F
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Today I finished off hinging the ailerons. I have used 6 Kavan style pinned hinges for each aileron, spread equidistantly along the hinge line. When all the glue had dried I was pleased to find the ailerons moved freely through their full range of movement.

I then set up the twin servos into their bays and manufactured pushrods to the appropriate length. Each servo can deliver 4kg of torque at 6 volts so a total of 8kg of torque should be more than enough for this big aileron surface. I have arranged for a solid fitting at the servo arm and an adjustable clevis at the aileron horn end on each servo.
At the moment I have arranged for a 60% differential up-going to down-going on the aileron although I suspect that I will probably end up with something more like 75% after the model has flown.

I have seeled the aileron/wing gap on the upper surface with a 12.5mm wide tape produced from a sheet of very thin, white, car wrapping vinyl. This tape running along the hinge line seems to have had no effect on the aileron operation..

Brian
Attachments
Left wing with aileron all hinged.
Left wing with aileron all hinged.
Inner aileron servo bay, servo and pushrod.
Inner aileron servo bay, servo and pushrod.
Outer aileron servo bay, servo and pushrod.
Outer aileron servo bay, servo and pushrod.
Left wing with aileron gap seel in place.
Left wing with aileron gap seel in place.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

After getting the ailerons and their servos and pushrods installed i required to make hatch covers. I cut these from thin tinplate and trim to size. I then lay them on the sticky side of white car-wrap vinyl and cut of the excess except for a 5mm trim round the edges. These are then introduced to the hatch openings and the vinyl smoothed down. These are invisible at 10 ft and are easily removed when required. :)

This afternoon I made up the new elevator pushrod using 8mm dia carbon tube, threaded rod and steel clevises. I drill a 2mm hole in the rod about 45mm from the end before inserting into the tube a 90mm length of threaded rod with a small 90degree bend in the end. The small bend protrudes out through the drilled hole and then a suitably shaped length of 6mm birch dowel is forced down the tube to lock the wire in place. Thin cyano is applied to lock everything solid. A clevis with a heat-shrink tube keeper is then slipped over the clevis.
I use this type of pushrod on many of my aircraft and it has never failed (so far). :)

The pushrod was installed and hooked up to the elevator servo. I had to reduce the servo throw slightly to avoid the mechanism stalling at each end of its travel but it was all working as advertised. I have attached a couple of images with the elevator at full up and down travel. :)

I will not be posting any more updates for a week or so as I am going to be a bit busy for the next little while, plus I am going FLYING this weekend. :D

Brian. :D
Attachments
Tinplate hatch covers.
Tinplate hatch covers.
Covers attached to vinyl sheet and trimmed.
Covers attached to vinyl sheet and trimmed.
Covers in place on the wing.
Covers in place on the wing.
Pushrod end - note rod hook protruding through tube.
Pushrod end - note rod hook protruding through tube.
Pushrod attached to tail crank.
Pushrod attached to tail crank.
Full up elevator.
Full up elevator.
Full down elevator.
Full down elevator.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

I’ve been very busy of late but I managed to grab an hour in the workshop today. The bare rudder was sitting there minding its own business so I grabbed it and covered its nakedness with Diacov. It looks fine and is now ready for a coat of primer and a couple of coats of white gloss paint.
Brian. :D
Attachments
Newly covered rudder.
Newly covered rudder.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

It’s a bit wet this morning so I tackled the task that I had not been looking forward to – whether the tailplane was straight or not. To explain – There is a considerable (to my eyes anyway) amount of slop on the tailplane , mainly through wear and tear on the joiner rods going through the fuselage and elevator crank. I wanted to see if this could be adjusted or did it warrant surgery.
The airframe was assembled and the fuselage levelled on top of the dining room table. Looking back down the fuselage from the nose showed that the tailplane was sitting port side down. I packed some books etc under the port tailplane tip taking up all the slop in the system and upon re-checking the tilt had disappeared and the tailplane was sitting pretty much straight in comparison to the wing. RESULT! I think I can fix this without resort to a scalpel. :D
However that doesn’t sort out the fin as it has a slight lean to the left when the wings are level but I will just have to live with that. :?
Attachments
Tailplane a bit squint.
Tailplane a bit squint.
Tailplane supported and all the play taken out - straight.
Tailplane supported and all the play taken out - straight.