• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

EON Olympia 419

Barry_Cole

Re: EON Olympia 419

Post by Barry_Cole »

Just make sure you give it 3-4 weeks to fully dry. It worked for me..

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

BC
Attachments
180930 (18).JPG
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
Barry, the paint seems pretty solid today after a couple of days hardening off. This Valspar water based paint dries in four hours but does require a couple of coats to get a good gloss finish. Having said that it is glossy without being super shiny - so it looks scale and not like a toy.

Today I have been doing the radio installation and setting up the elevator and rudder throws. I have still to install new connectors for the airbrakes which operate from a central servo in the wing root. I will have to assemble the wings to the fuselage to achieve this.
However, the end is in sight and I will be keeping my eyes open for a suitable day for the re-maiden flight!
Brian :)
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Oliver has now fully recovered from his plastic surgery, and after a period of rest and recuperation he was allowed to sit in the cockpit of his “Oly” today. He will of course require to have a check flight with the CFI before he is allowed to go solo.
Brian. :D :D :D
Attachments
Oliver in his "Oly".
Oliver in his "Oly".
WG_104.jpg
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

Today was balancing day.
I first of all checked out the plan and found that it recommended the CG be at a point 110mm from the LE at the centre section. I then checked this out on my CG calculating app and that was consistent with a static margin of 22% which I felt was a bit too nose heavy. I then recalculated the CG using a static margin of 15% which is usually a good safe starting point. This gave a CG position of 128mm from the LE.

I decided that I would err on the side of caution by setting up two CG positions. I first of all balanced the model at 128mm from the LE which would be my “hope for” final CG location after flight testing. I then added more weight to the nose to set the CG at 119mm from the LE which is a half way compromise with the plan CG position. This weight will be temporarily attached so that I can remove it at the slope to bring the CG back as required.

I had removed several slabs of lead during the restoration however these calculation have resulted in only half being added back at the moment.

Having got the CG issue sorted out I now require to finish the decoration and set up the surface throws and movements on my transmitter before the model is complete.

Brian. :)
Attachments
The model set up on my balancer.
The model set up on my balancer.
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

The Oly 419X “Wild Goose” restoration is complete!

I did a full assembly in the garden this morning and took the official photos.

Yesterday I applied all the vinyl markings and the decals and she now looks quite splendid, I am very pleased. I only hope that When John sees the final result he will be equally impressed.

My thanks must go to Barry Cole who produced the “Wild Goose” vinyl’s for each side of the cockpit as they truly give the model it’s character. Many thanks for that Barry your help it is truly appreciated.

The next step will be the maiden flight. I will be waiting for a good day with a 15 to 20mph wind from the southwest or east so I can get the “Goose” up my local hill.
My wife has offered to come with me to take the obligatory “proof of flight” pictures which I will post thereafter.

Brian. :D :D :D :D :D
Attachments
FINISHED!
FINISHED!
WG_106.jpg
WG_110.jpg
WG_111.jpg
WG_113.jpg
One Very Happy Restorer.
One Very Happy Restorer.
Phill Tadman

Post by Phill Tadman »

Excellent Brian!

Phill
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

Superb job Brian. I have nobbled Peter Balcombe into doing a restore job on John's Kite for me, so we will have at least two of John's models restored to their former glory.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
catwok

Post by catwok »

Really happy seeing the Oly back to her former glory Brian. When I see John tomorrow I am sure he will be impressed too. But please remember to test fly in a 50mph wind! :D
B Sharp

Post by B Sharp »

The “Wild Goose” gets air beneath her wings.

The conditions that I mentioned in my last post occurred this afternoon. My good lady wife helped my carry the Goose up my local hill where we were met with a westerly 15 /18mph wind. Just Right!

The Goose was assembled and checked, then checked again, just to make sure before being launched out over the valley. I did have to wind in a fair amount of down trim to the all moving tailplane but other than that, all was fine.
A dive test was followed by a gentle zoom and stall, with an easy recovery. Also the banked turns were quite wide with the elevator control feeling a bit soggy. After eight minutes I lined up for landing, opened the brakes and greased the Goose in for an easy landing.

I removed the chunk of lead from the nose which moved the CG back to 128mm from the leading edge. I then re-launched and re-trimmed the elevator to give the model a comfortable flight path. A further dive test was carried out and this time the aircraft recovered with a much longer zoom and no stall. The Goose felt much more spritely in this configuration, the elevator response was much crisper and turns could now be pulled as tight as I liked.

I then enjoyed a further twenty minute flight which showed that the Goose was flying just like a big elegant bird. I think I am going to enjoy this model!

Brian. :D :D :D :D :D

P.S. thanks gents for all your kind comments and also thanks to my wife for all the photographs.
Attachments
Checked and ready for the off.
Checked and ready for the off.
Launching!
Launching!
Climbing out.
Climbing out.
A pass over the launch point.
A pass over the launch point.
Out over the valley.
Out over the valley.
A low pass for the camera.