• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Bowlus Super Albatross

alexis scott

Re: Bowlus Super Albatross

Post by alexis scott »

chris williams wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 17:29 Hi, Alexis, long time no see... ;)

Alex, the full-size wing section was just under 14% thick, so using HQ35/14 at the root, tapering to HQ35/12 at the tip will give you a fine flying model.
Good luck with the weirdly curved trailing edge, though...!
Far too long Chris, I kept having trouble getting locked out of here but that seems resolved now, I'm still active with scale gliding but we no longer have a dedicated national body just for it anymore, I fly at every Aerotow I can get too which is roughly once a month and still enjoy sloping but life seems to get in the way to do that too often, I've started my own import business as an aside selling the little Tony Ray models so that is taking up a bit of my modelling time but I'm enjoying being a part of that, hope you are keeping well
Best wishes
Alexis
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Funny you should bring up the subject, but I was just routing around in my plans cupboard and found copies of the original factory drawings
chris williams

Post by chris williams »

Glad to hear you are still flying, Alexis... ;)
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

This is also one I was considering kitting.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

Cliff Evans wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 20:05 This is also one I was considering kitting.
Yes please!!
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

VinceC wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 18:54 Funny you should bring up the subject, but I was just routing around in my plans cupboard and found copies of the original factory drawings
Man I wish I had those 30 years ago
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

VinceC wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 18:54 Funny you should bring up the subject, but I was just routing around in my plans cupboard and found copies of the original factory drawings
Oh wow!

Now as Alexis said … that would have been handy!

Any chance of sorting a scan? I have had trouble finding a reasonable set of drawings etc to use as a guide for the rebuild. The ones I have are old photo copies and looking at them cockpit detail /size appears to be off compared to photos . It’s a rare bird indeed.

Also any idea of cockpit layout? Given that it’s fuz was a derivative of the baby albatross I assume it would be safe to believe it would be similar to the baby i.e it’s unique control column etc.

Cheers Alex
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

Cliff Evans wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 20:05 This is also one I was considering kitting.
I’ll second that….

Would you set it up to do a fuselage assembly in two halves like the original kits ??? 😬.

Cheers

Alex
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

[quote="chris williams" post_id=32582 time=1630003982 user_id=52]

Chris W,

Any ideas on best way to download a copy of the airfoils you suggested? I don’t have CAD and was going to attempt to draw them up by hand.

Cheers

Alex
Peter Balcombe

Post by Peter Balcombe »

Alex,
Try airfoil tools & use the plotter option to send a sized rib template to your printer.
http://airfoiltools.com/plotter/index? ... =hq3514-il
Peter