• Administrator
  •  
    Before your membership becomes valid, you will receive an email that must be answered.
    Please check your spam folder or this email.

Bowlus Super Albatross

Cliff Evans

Re: Bowlus Super Albatross

Post by Cliff Evans »

Now looking at kitting the Baby and Super Albatross at 1/3 scale.

Thanks for the inspiration.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
VinceC
Site Admin

Post by VinceC »

Alex - I will have a go at scanning the drawings tomorrow. I will have to scan in parts and stitch together
alexis scott

Post by alexis scott »

Cliff Evans wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 20:16 Now looking at kitting the Baby and Super Albatross at 1/3 scale.

That's very exciting, I'll be keen to build one
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

Cliff Evans wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 20:16 Now looking at kitting the Baby and Super Albatross at 1/3 scale.

Outstanding!

I would be keen.

Will be interesting to see where you can source an aluminium boom from. I’ll be using tube aluminium from a local supplier very close to scale diameter but with a 1.4mm wall. Might be a tad thicker than scale but at least it’s consistent with the prototype 😬.

Cheers 🍻

Alex
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

VinceC wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 22:31 Alex - I will have a go at scanning the drawings tomorrow. I will have to scan in parts and stitch together
Great stuff thanks.

Received and they are a wealth of information and will be of great use in the rebuild as I’ll try and replicate fixings and control linkages etc

It also solves the wing and spoiler layout dilemma and cockpit layout dilemma though I would dearly love to source a photo of a cockpit. My assumption is that it would be of a similar layout as the baby Albatross re control column etc

Cheers 🍻

Alex
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

VinceC wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 22:31 Alex - I will have a go at scanning the drawings tomorrow. I will have to scan in parts and stitch together
Vince

Just realised the scans I got came via another member Alexis. Just checking the resolution on these as ones I have do tend to loose resolution greater that A4 size print.

Hoping to source something to blow up so I can see it 😆😆😆. That said it’s still pretty darn useful as a reference.

Cheers

Alex
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

A brief update..

Firstly I must confess that the 2mtr eRES that’s been waiting to be covered and finished is being neglected. I am sorry but Scale is ultimately where the heart is and this old glider just seems to suck me in.

Work got in the way these past weeks though so not much achieved.

I did manage to pluck the Albo of its old feathers err planking.

I found much of the glue holding the old planks down to the original fibreglass fuz had perished and rather than try and patch it I decided a good plucking was in order. Better to rebuild onto a known quantity.

I knew it would get a hell of a lot worse before I’d move forwards. Lucky I did!

I found a few cracks in the original fuselage and a few dents where the glass had cracked and was slightly spongy etc.

The answers on how to get this fuz into shape and stiffen up the structure are starting to form as I go. Trying to rebuild without original forms or drawings is a challenge that will no doubt add to the skills

My thoughts are I’ll inlay some spruce longerons, a keel and retrofit some ply formers into the fuselage in roughly the same locations as on the prototype.

I’ll then cut and box a new wheel well as the current one suffered damage and looks to be 15mm off centre.

That should stabilise what I have and provide a solid base for the wheel, wing and also tail boom assembly.

I’ll profile the top of the fuz (where the massive gap is) to get the lay of the cockpit, place some formers in, plank with balsa and shape.

I’ll inlay the new wing root using the Airfoil Chris recommended and reshape to this.

From here the plan is then to use an epoxy fibreglass auto body filler to skim coat the dents and cracks. This stuff dries B****y hard, is tough and resists shrinking and cracking and is relatively easy to sand and reshape.

From here the plan is to veneer the fuz with 1.6mm mahogany furniture veneer.

I have located an aluminium boom at a shade over 40mm OD and a wall of 1.6 mm. Looking at the original specs for the boom this is actually damn close to scale to get the tick.

I know it’s a hell of a lot of work and I could just wait to get a precision kit from Ol Mate Chris 😬😬😬. Lord knows it will go together a lot easier..

BUT this is about returning a glider with some significant sentimental roots behind it to the air and for me to be pushed out of my comfort zone to solve some problems, learn some skills and grow hair on the old chest 😬.

Well that is the plan… let’s see if the execution prevails.

Cheers
Attachments
9AF24A7F-74C9-439F-B188-6E7474EA77A7.jpeg
A0FA090B-DFC6-4590-B12B-1BB03906E71A.jpeg
163EF830-C2B3-40F7-8DDA-0DABDDAB69C4.jpeg
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

Oh before I forget..

Any ideas for a simple but effective tow release that would suit a project like this?

Cheers 🍻
Cliff Evans

Post by Cliff Evans »

**UPDATE**
Jilles has finished the drawings for the Bowlus Super Albatross. It has been drawn at a scale of 1/2.5.
See details below. This is going to be started When Peter has finished the Jaskolka. I have already printed the wing tips, tail cone and nose cone.
Super Albatross.
Super Albatross.
https://lasercutsailplanes.co.uk
https://patteaklegliders.co.uk
Alex Tankink

Post by Alex Tankink »

Wow thanks for that information!

You guys sure know how to make it hard to do a rebuild :D ! Looking at the drawings that aircraft will be a thing of beauty. Who on the UK group is planning a build of the 1:2.5 beast?.

It's at this time you ask yourself do you condemn the old model and go for the nice new kitted out version? I am sure many people ask this often when undertaking a rebuild.

Well as tempting at it is, I did get into this predicament because the original model I will try and restore had some pretty sentimental history here in South Australia and it was an opportunity to be thrown into the deep end and learn some old school scratch building and to be challenged to learn some skills and overcome difficulties.

My hope is that I can get this old 1/3 scale bird to fly again but how much will be rebuilt and how much will be the original. Or whether it is a new glider or the old one reborn will be basically philosophical question :lol: :lol:

But I do have some good news and progress to follow.......