Page 1 of 1

Bowlus Super Albatross

Posted: 23 Aug 2021, 12:21
by Alex Tankink
Well if you asked me a week ago that my first adventure into Scale Sailplanes would be a rebuild or a Bowlus Super Albatross that was built about 30 years ago I would have said you got the wrong person budd :D.

But ask me now and I have to confess that yes the rumours are true!

While recently visiting Alexis a new gliding friend and long time avid Scale Soaring enthusiast we got onto the topic of rebuilds and how nice it was to basically breath life into an old much loved glider and have it return to the sky. Alexis had done a few over the years and it has brought him lots of satisfaction.

Call me sentimental or foolish (or both), but that idea actually appeals to me a lot. Maybe it’s that long overlooked tinkerer that has laid dormant for far to many years.

After a recent visit I called Alexis up and said that if he knew of an old glider or someone with a glider that deserved a second chance and one I could take on with half a chance of success to please let me know.

Well, asking a bloke like Alexis this question is … err.. a very silly question! He literally has 30 years of RC and scale soaring history filling up this double garage and as I later found out his roof space!

Tucked in the corner of his garage was an old familiar fuselage. I had been a fan of vintage gliders since a young kid and the Bowlus Baby and Super Albatross were always
gliders that caught my interest. This particular model was a 1/3 scale Super Albatross and one that had seen a few incarnations throughout its life.

Alexis had built the Bowlus back in the 90’s and it had changed hands several times before returning home. Like many similar projects it sat in a corner of the shed and overtime began to suffer from bouts of hangar rash.

The method used ‘back in the day’ to construct this glider was to make a foam fuselage master, glass it up and then break into the fuselage and dissolve out the foam in strategic areas where you needed to install your radio gear and cockpit details etc.

A recent incarnation of the original model saw the original glassed fuz strip planked over and stained to resemble the mahogany of the early originals. A process that was never really fully completed.

Overall the model had seen better days. The original foam core wings were beyond repair and will be replaced with built up wings as per the original first prototypes. This is a scale forum after all 😬.

The elevator and rudder as well as vertical and horizontal stabilisers will need a full rebuild.

The aluminium litho plate covered fibreglass boom was ‘squishy and crunchy’ in the centre section and was now slightly out of alignment.

Whilst the original fibreglass fuz (basically the core) was in OK condition much of the strip plank covering in key areas had separated from the fibreglass core and there was a very big hole where an old school Canopy assembly had been roughed out but not finished.

Overall there were a few rough holes where modifications had been made by past owners but not fully finished and as with old gliders there were a few makeshift repairs that needed patching.

So in summary, it’s kind of like an old classic car good bones, but when you dig deep the list of fixes is a bit longer than what you initially anticipated 😆😆😆.

Simple rebuild you ask? Easy way into the hobby??? … hmm maybe not. But how can you go past a Bowlus Super Albatross and a challenge? Ahh the naivety of a new builder I hear some of you whisper? Yes we shall see… and it is my hope this forum keeps me honest and inspired.

I will most certainly welcome your collective knowledge experience and advice.

Below is the project as it arrived into the shed yesterday. I guess you could say at the projects Zero Hour 😆.

Please note the classic old school analogue radio gear still in situ and a decade of dust. RC archeology at its best 👍🏻

Cheers

Alex

Re: Bowlus Super Albatross

Posted: 23 Aug 2021, 12:53
by Alex Tankink
D Day plus 1

Today’s work saw me
- clean out the fuz of old gear
- remove canopy
- strip the inside ‘guts’ back to the bare fibreglass to check the bones and make sure it’s all airworthy.
- I removed the old boom and cut away cracked fibreglass and strip planking that had separated from the original fuz.

Jobs to do.

1- I will retrofit a keel and wheel housing / box into the bottom of the fuz and build up some internal formers and not so ‘long-erons’ to help firm up the fuz and distribute forces when landing.

2- Fit a new box for the wing joiners etc.

3- A new thin wall Aluminium boom will be retrofitted and the rear end of the Fuz beefed up with formers to accept the new boom.

I also noted that the original proposed location of the canopy is possibly a little to far forward and will need a review.

Simples 😳😳

Posted: 23 Aug 2021, 13:16
by Alex Tankink
These are options being considered for a revised canopy set up.

Posted: 23 Aug 2021, 15:00
by Mike F
Hi Alex

Looks like a real rebuild of a beautiful old sailplane. We'll follow with interest as it becomes a graceful Albatross once more.

Good luck!
Mike

Posted: 23 Aug 2021, 16:37
by chris williams
I remember seeing Alexis fly this model at the Millennium aerotow at Bordertown at the turn of the century...

Posted: 23 Aug 2021, 20:12
by Barry_Cole
Now you are just showing off......

So how come you cannnot remember to bring all the parts of your gliders???

:? :? :? :?

BC

Posted: 24 Aug 2021, 02:59
by Alex Tankink
chris williams wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 16:37 I remember seeing Alexis fly this model at the Millennium aerotow at Bordertown at the turn of the century...
Yep that is the old girl. Both have aged gracefully.

Alexis mentioned they had you over👍🏻

Cheers 🍻

Posted: 24 Aug 2021, 04:53
by Alex Tankink
chris williams wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 16:37 I remember seeing Alexis fly this model at the Millennium aerotow at Bordertown at the turn of the century...
Chris,

I am planning the wing rebuild and need to get the wing root section sorted.

Knowing the glider and at just over 4metres wingspan what would be your recommendation for a good all round airfoil? I think you do use a HQ from memory.

Cheers

Alex 🍻

Posted: 24 Aug 2021, 05:22
by alexis scott
This is going to be such a feel good experience, I'm thrilled Alex has taken this on and I feel super confident he's the man for this job, it's a project that needs to be done but not one I could get inspired to get back into, I think mostly because this model was my second scratch built project and comes with lots of lovely memories but also wisdom of how I would do it better next time.Thankyou Alex for taking this on and getting into it with the gusto it deserves and I couldn't bring myself to do, I'm really excited, now Im going to be here lurking and loving seeing my old dream come back to life with you.
Best wishes and it's been too long since you visited Chris Williams I have such fond memories of that when experience, from the dream to going and picking you up at the Adelaide airport,
Good times

Alexis

Posted: 24 Aug 2021, 17:29
by chris williams
Hi, Alexis, long time no see... ;)

Alex, the full-size wing section was just under 14% thick, so using HQ35/14 at the root, tapering to HQ35/12 at the tip will give you a fine flying model.
Good luck with the weirdly curved trailing edge, though...!

Posted: 25 Aug 2021, 01:51
by alexis scott
chris williams wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 17:29 Hi, Alexis, long time no see... ;)

Alex, the full-size wing section was just under 14% thick, so using HQ35/14 at the root, tapering to HQ35/12 at the tip will give you a fine flying model.
Good luck with the weirdly curved trailing edge, though...!
Far too long Chris, I kept having trouble getting locked out of here but that seems resolved now, I'm still active with scale gliding but we no longer have a dedicated national body just for it anymore, I fly at every Aerotow I can get too which is roughly once a month and still enjoy sloping but life seems to get in the way to do that too often, I've started my own import business as an aside selling the little Tony Ray models so that is taking up a bit of my modelling time but I'm enjoying being a part of that, hope you are keeping well
Best wishes
Alexis

Posted: 26 Aug 2021, 18:54
by VinceC
Funny you should bring up the subject, but I was just routing around in my plans cupboard and found copies of the original factory drawings

Posted: 26 Aug 2021, 19:53
by chris williams
Glad to hear you are still flying, Alexis... ;)

Posted: 26 Aug 2021, 20:05
by Cliff Evans
This is also one I was considering kitting.

Posted: 27 Aug 2021, 01:22
by alexis scott
Cliff Evans wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 20:05 This is also one I was considering kitting.
Yes please!!

Posted: 27 Aug 2021, 01:24
by alexis scott
VinceC wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 18:54 Funny you should bring up the subject, but I was just routing around in my plans cupboard and found copies of the original factory drawings
Man I wish I had those 30 years ago

Posted: 27 Aug 2021, 14:11
by Alex Tankink
VinceC wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 18:54 Funny you should bring up the subject, but I was just routing around in my plans cupboard and found copies of the original factory drawings
Oh wow!

Now as Alexis said … that would have been handy!

Any chance of sorting a scan? I have had trouble finding a reasonable set of drawings etc to use as a guide for the rebuild. The ones I have are old photo copies and looking at them cockpit detail /size appears to be off compared to photos . It’s a rare bird indeed.

Also any idea of cockpit layout? Given that it’s fuz was a derivative of the baby albatross I assume it would be safe to believe it would be similar to the baby i.e it’s unique control column etc.

Cheers Alex

Posted: 27 Aug 2021, 14:14
by Alex Tankink
Cliff Evans wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 20:05 This is also one I was considering kitting.
I’ll second that….

Would you set it up to do a fuselage assembly in two halves like the original kits ??? 😬.

Cheers

Alex

Posted: 27 Aug 2021, 14:17
by Alex Tankink
[quote="chris williams" post_id=32582 time=1630003982 user_id=52]

Chris W,

Any ideas on best way to download a copy of the airfoils you suggested? I don’t have CAD and was going to attempt to draw them up by hand.

Cheers

Alex

Posted: 27 Aug 2021, 15:13
by Peter Balcombe
Alex,
Try airfoil tools & use the plotter option to send a sized rib template to your printer.
http://airfoiltools.com/plotter/index? ... =hq3514-il
Peter

Posted: 27 Aug 2021, 20:16
by Cliff Evans
Now looking at kitting the Baby and Super Albatross at 1/3 scale.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Posted: 27 Aug 2021, 22:31
by VinceC
Alex - I will have a go at scanning the drawings tomorrow. I will have to scan in parts and stitch together

Posted: 29 Aug 2021, 09:37
by alexis scott
Cliff Evans wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 20:16 Now looking at kitting the Baby and Super Albatross at 1/3 scale.

That's very exciting, I'll be keen to build one

Posted: 29 Aug 2021, 23:25
by Alex Tankink
Cliff Evans wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 20:16 Now looking at kitting the Baby and Super Albatross at 1/3 scale.

Outstanding!

I would be keen.

Will be interesting to see where you can source an aluminium boom from. I’ll be using tube aluminium from a local supplier very close to scale diameter but with a 1.4mm wall. Might be a tad thicker than scale but at least it’s consistent with the prototype 😬.

Cheers 🍻

Alex

Posted: 29 Aug 2021, 23:30
by Alex Tankink
VinceC wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 22:31 Alex - I will have a go at scanning the drawings tomorrow. I will have to scan in parts and stitch together
Great stuff thanks.

Received and they are a wealth of information and will be of great use in the rebuild as I’ll try and replicate fixings and control linkages etc

It also solves the wing and spoiler layout dilemma and cockpit layout dilemma though I would dearly love to source a photo of a cockpit. My assumption is that it would be of a similar layout as the baby Albatross re control column etc

Cheers 🍻

Alex

Posted: 04 Sep 2021, 10:28
by Alex Tankink
VinceC wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 22:31 Alex - I will have a go at scanning the drawings tomorrow. I will have to scan in parts and stitch together
Vince

Just realised the scans I got came via another member Alexis. Just checking the resolution on these as ones I have do tend to loose resolution greater that A4 size print.

Hoping to source something to blow up so I can see it 😆😆😆. That said it’s still pretty darn useful as a reference.

Cheers

Alex

Posted: 04 Sep 2021, 11:15
by Alex Tankink
A brief update..

Firstly I must confess that the 2mtr eRES that’s been waiting to be covered and finished is being neglected. I am sorry but Scale is ultimately where the heart is and this old glider just seems to suck me in.

Work got in the way these past weeks though so not much achieved.

I did manage to pluck the Albo of its old feathers err planking.

I found much of the glue holding the old planks down to the original fibreglass fuz had perished and rather than try and patch it I decided a good plucking was in order. Better to rebuild onto a known quantity.

I knew it would get a hell of a lot worse before I’d move forwards. Lucky I did!

I found a few cracks in the original fuselage and a few dents where the glass had cracked and was slightly spongy etc.

The answers on how to get this fuz into shape and stiffen up the structure are starting to form as I go. Trying to rebuild without original forms or drawings is a challenge that will no doubt add to the skills

My thoughts are I’ll inlay some spruce longerons, a keel and retrofit some ply formers into the fuselage in roughly the same locations as on the prototype.

I’ll then cut and box a new wheel well as the current one suffered damage and looks to be 15mm off centre.

That should stabilise what I have and provide a solid base for the wheel, wing and also tail boom assembly.

I’ll profile the top of the fuz (where the massive gap is) to get the lay of the cockpit, place some formers in, plank with balsa and shape.

I’ll inlay the new wing root using the Airfoil Chris recommended and reshape to this.

From here the plan is then to use an epoxy fibreglass auto body filler to skim coat the dents and cracks. This stuff dries B****y hard, is tough and resists shrinking and cracking and is relatively easy to sand and reshape.

From here the plan is to veneer the fuz with 1.6mm mahogany furniture veneer.

I have located an aluminium boom at a shade over 40mm OD and a wall of 1.6 mm. Looking at the original specs for the boom this is actually damn close to scale to get the tick.

I know it’s a hell of a lot of work and I could just wait to get a precision kit from Ol Mate Chris 😬😬😬. Lord knows it will go together a lot easier..

BUT this is about returning a glider with some significant sentimental roots behind it to the air and for me to be pushed out of my comfort zone to solve some problems, learn some skills and grow hair on the old chest 😬.

Well that is the plan… let’s see if the execution prevails.

Cheers

Posted: 04 Sep 2021, 11:44
by Alex Tankink
Oh before I forget..

Any ideas for a simple but effective tow release that would suit a project like this?

Cheers 🍻

Posted: 18 Dec 2021, 09:08
by Cliff Evans
**UPDATE**
Jilles has finished the drawings for the Bowlus Super Albatross. It has been drawn at a scale of 1/2.5.
See details below. This is going to be started When Peter has finished the Jaskolka. I have already printed the wing tips, tail cone and nose cone.
Super Albatross.
Super Albatross.

Posted: 07 Jan 2022, 09:22
by Alex Tankink
Wow thanks for that information!

You guys sure know how to make it hard to do a rebuild :D ! Looking at the drawings that aircraft will be a thing of beauty. Who on the UK group is planning a build of the 1:2.5 beast?.

It's at this time you ask yourself do you condemn the old model and go for the nice new kitted out version? I am sure many people ask this often when undertaking a rebuild.

Well as tempting at it is, I did get into this predicament because the original model I will try and restore had some pretty sentimental history here in South Australia and it was an opportunity to be thrown into the deep end and learn some old school scratch building and to be challenged to learn some skills and overcome difficulties.

My hope is that I can get this old 1/3 scale bird to fly again but how much will be rebuilt and how much will be the original. Or whether it is a new glider or the old one reborn will be basically philosophical question :lol: :lol:

But I do have some good news and progress to follow.......

Posted: 07 Jan 2022, 10:19
by Peter Balcombe
Hi Alex,
I will be starting the Albatross when I’ve finished my current 1/3 scale Jaskolka build, hopefully in a couple of months from now.
https://scalesoaring.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =12&t=3694

The Albatross span is similar to most 1/3 scale models of standard class gliders.

Posted: 07 Jan 2022, 10:56
by Alex Tankink
Ok so after being given some decent drawings to start a review of where the current model stood I had to make some hard decisions.

The fuselage was for me the starting point and it was in very bad shape. It was essentially a lost mold fiberglass technique and it had some issues.

As you can see from the photos the old fuselage was not in the best shape. It had flat spots and there was also a bit of a misalignment with the opening for the wheel and also the rear section of the fuselage. The old girl had lived a life and the fuselage had the Swiss watch maker in me sweating. I could buy shares in the car body filler business, fill in the flat spots and fair the fuselage as it is and make the fuselage work, but the section and profile would not pass today's scale police :shock:

Again am I rebuilding the original model as it is? Or am I trying to rebuild it as the original builder would have wanted, a fair attempt at a scale example? Do I attempt to keep it or do I start from scratch?

I had recently watched a boat building Youtube channel that used cold molding and in many ways replicated how these types of fuselages could have been formed back in the day. The channel showed a half hull model built to demonstrate the technique. I figured that this would be a very scale way to build a Super Albatross fuz.

The problem with building a new fuselage was the lack of quality drawings that I could accurately blow up to a 1/3 scale to work from and develop molds / formers. That was until the above Super Albatross project by Jilles and Co.

After a conversation with Jilles he kindly helped with the development of some drawings that will help me develop the formers necessary to make a cold molded a new fuselage. A massive thank you to Jilles and for the information and experience given on this front and also on wing profiles following on from Chris's advice.

Next step printing out some drawings and developing the formers / molds and having a crack. What could possibly go wrong?? :D

Posted: 07 Jan 2022, 11:03
by Alex Tankink
Peter Balcombe wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 10:19 Hi Alex,
I will be starting the Albatross when I’ve finished my current 1/3 scale Jaskolka build, hopefully in a couple of months from now.
https://scalesoaring.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =12&t=3694

The Albatross span is similar to most 1/3 scale models of standard class gliders.
Awesome Peter I'll be following your build when you get around it. Seems like the Super Albatross as a model subject is getting quite a bit of interest these days.

Cheers